Another reason I now drive a Ford

vtfireman85

Just under 300k on mine, front end needs rebuilt this winter, and the powder coat on the flatbed is junk.  I would still trust it on a 110 or minus 25 degree day to get me anywhere.

I mean i dont think ive used 4lo in 3 years but its still nice to have. 

I guess diesel and 4.89 gears give plenty of power

Even my 18 5500 has that blasted traction control nanny  bs. You have to anticipate turning it off before you need to because it won't turn off if its killing your power, if i put it in manual gear selection itll let me make it eat to dig thru. In the winter and mud season it start truck and turn nanny tc off.

But ive still got a lever on the floor.

Wife 14 explorer has the 4 mode awd it has a regular mud, snow and sand mode and the only mode that doesn't just kill power is the sand mode so that is what is used if road is bad. 

19 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Heard in the news it was for 23 year model 2-350 for axle shafts breaking and rolling away. 

I will be curious. Not sure what is meant by 10.5” axle shaft, either way mine has very large rear hub caps which others don’t seem to have, no idea if it has a different rear axle than say a 250 or 6.8, or if it has to do with 4.30 gearing? Mine was ordered the day the order banks opened and I read somewhere that around 55k trucks were ordered in the first week of the bank opening. Was it an early production thing? I will try the dealer later today and see. 

IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg

30 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I will be curious. Not sure what is meant by 10.5” axle shaft, either way mine has very large rear hub caps which others don’t seem to have, no idea if it has a different rear axle than say a 250 or 6.8, or if it has to do with 4.30 gearing? Mine was ordered the day the order banks opened and I read somewhere that around 55k trucks were ordered in the first week of the bank opening. Was it an early production thing? I will try the dealer later today and see. 

IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg

Plug your VIN into here and see if your truck is on the recall list 

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

It has looked to me like GM has been out of the work truck market for years. I see lots of Denali trucks around here, but if it’s got a flat bed or service bed it’s a Ford. My neighbor has a Hydra Bed on his 3500 Chevy and he gets stuck all the time because the ground clearance is so poor. 

• Like 3

Again I hate to sound like a old dude but 4 spd manual tranny in a 75 4wd F250.It would pull hay wagons,( I would hook two full kick bale wagons together 130 bales or so each) up the roads to far away barns or straight to horse people. Up and down hills,4 wd low for the steepest and to hold me back going down other side.Never destroyed the transfer case in it or any others we had..Crazy 16 year old boy I was.Never rolled or lost one.i would NEVER do that now myself let alone a leave 16 yr old boy to do it.Its a wonder my dad was as calm as he was. The truck was simple, crank up windows, power brakes and steering. You could camp out under the hood. Fuel pump changed in minutes not hours. Nothing hidden,all easy access 

• Like 7

The last vehicle I bought was a 90 Ford half ton 300 six with 4 speed.  Rugged, ultra reliable and cheap to run/maintain.   Off topic, but the reliability of the old does have its place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoxrunFarms02 said:

I'm looking at upgrading trucks in the near featured. Looking around there seems to be nothing in my area for a basic truck, to do truck things. A crew cab for family outings is nice but not 100% necessary, a long bed for Menard's and TSC runs would be nice too. I don't think I've seen a crew cab long box bus since the late 90s fords. Looking for a basic interior even on work package trucks you get the touch screen, power windows, mirrors etc. Seems like trucks are getting away from trucks and are made to make a statement or someone to feel........money doesn't buy happiness but I'm sure you'll feel better crying in a king ranch vs ranger. Looking at old commercials of a truck pulling a semi trailer of logs, or a competitors truck in the bed up a pile of rocks vs now dropping an empty toolbox a foot into the bed makes me laugh 

You can get them but have to order them. My brothers last two or three trucks were long bed crew cabs, ordered. My last truck I got lucky and stumbled on a bare bones plain work truck sitting on a dealer lot four states away, but local dealers got it for me. My current truck I ordered it just how I wanted, with crank windows! It was at least $10,000 cheaper than most used stuff with all the bells and whistles. I got to be a big fan of ordering a vehicle when I realized that you can get them cheaper that way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1256pickett said:

You can get them but have to order them. My brothers last two or three trucks were long bed crew cabs, ordered. My last truck I got lucky and stumbled on a bare bones plain work truck sitting on a dealer lot four states away, but local dealers got it for me. My current truck I ordered it just how I wanted, with crank windows! It was at least $10,000 cheaper than most used stuff with all the bells and whistles. I got to be a big fan of ordering a vehicle when I realized that you can get them cheaper that way. 

I'll have to look into factory ordered ones. Thanks for the suggestions. Talking with the local Co op/feed mills they factory order most of their trucks. The biggest issue they said was the wait, and it was almost better getting the 2nd to basic package because the factory would have to change the line and supplies.......how accurate that is I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Occasionally in the winter I like to play in the snow a bit, off road and safely. My 08 f350 has no traction control at all, so it’s easy to do donuts (if you have enough room for a crew cab long box!) but my wife’s 15 f150 even if I turn off tc it still won’t do a proper donut. I’ll have to try the push and hold trick.

M

1 minute ago, brewcrew said:

Occasionally in the winter I like to play in the snow a bit, off road and safely. My 08 f350 has no traction control at all, so it’s easy to do donuts (if you have enough room for a crew cab long box!) but my wife’s 15 f150 even if I turn off tc it still won’t do a proper donut. I’ll have to try the push and hold trick.

My wife’s 4 runner needs to be put in low range to turn the TC off, then you can go back to high, once you shut the ignition off you start over again. Talk about a PITA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am in and out 2-3x a week. Backing trailers in and out of steep tight locations, etc etc, its a whole lot easier on things. I also plow in low range. It isn’t how often it is used, it is about having it when you need it. 

Use lo in a truck 2x a year at best.   99.9% of truck operators have 0 reason to have it and i am surprised they even have it anymore in half tons.

Weird here chev is clearly taking over work trucks.  Most say MPG.  The 2.7 turbo is very well received, have 2/3 buddies with them and all really like them.  The 2.7 isnt a 2500 but perfect for sales and Foreman type guys.  Friend goes over the Cascades few tiems a month and is happy with power and the high 20 to low-30 mpg.  2x the mpg.as his f150 was and drives nicer.  Just a company truck so drives what they buy.

Friends chev dealer here and he cannot keep 1500 chev in stock esp the Custom *mid trim* model.  Bought 14 and they were all sold before the last one was off the delivery truck.  Ext cab and crews all 4x 2.7 

....everyone and everywhere different

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jacka said:

I miss my lock out hubs in all my old 4wd whether they were Ford,Jeep or IH pickups.Dumbest thing ever was to keep the front driveshaft and differential turning constantly. Unnecessary wear and wasted fuel. 

Front drive shaft doesn't spin on GM. Shaft is disconnected at front differential when 4WD is not selected.

I agree with the fact that the 1500 is mostly used as a car so there's really no reason for a low range. In addition the transmissions have so many gears now the first few are under drive negating a low range for most users. 2500s and up are still trucks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Use lo in a truck 2x a year at best.   99.9% of truck operators have 0 reason to have it and i am surprised they even have it anymore in half tons.

Weird here chev is clearly taking over work trucks.  Most say MPG.  The 2.7 turbo is very well received, have 2/3 buddies with them and all really like them.  The 2.7 isnt a 2500 but perfect for sales and Foreman type guys.  Friend goes over the Cascades few tiems a month and is happy with power and the high 20 to low-30 mpg.  2x the mpg.as his f150 was and drives nicer.  Just a company truck so drives what they buy.

Friends chev dealer here and he cannot keep 1500 chev in stock esp the Custom *mid trim* model.  Bought 14 and they were all sold before the last one was off the delivery truck.  Ext cab and crews all 4x 2.7 

....everyone and everywhere different

Around here there are new Chevys with 500 mile that are rusting away...  New GMs are worse than Scouts ever were.... 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Front drive shaft doesn't spin on GM. Shaft is disconnected at front differential when 4WD is not selected.

I agree with the fact that the 1500 is mostly used as a car so there's really no reason for a low range. In addition the transmissions have so many gears now the first few are under drive negating a low range for most users. 2500s and up are still trucks.

If the newer ones are like the 93 K2500 4.11 10.5" 8600 GVW we run, the 4WD off position only disables the drive shaft both front wheel axle shafts are always being driven by the front wheels so the front drive are always turning when the truck is in motion.  I have owned all types of 4WD, by choice I would select a gear-drive transfer case , I like an automatic for the torque converter but; for long term use, I have spent more on automatic transmissions.  Our current 4L80 behind a warmed over 454 has cost me more than I ever spent on manual transmissions and clutches, on every vehicle combined and I am always conscious of where the weak and costly components are.

Many of my neighbors also have AWD RV of some type, never used for anything other than work and household stuff.

Looking forward to the next snow so I can justify the  AWD. I would even appreciate some water to make mud with.

Happy

54 minutes ago, oleman said:

If the newer ones are like the 93 K2500 4.11 10.5" 8600 GVW we run, the 4WD off position only disables the drive shaft both front wheel axle shafts are always being driven by the front wheels so the front drive are always turning when the truck is in motion.

Well, some of the front drive is turning. The axles of course have to turn as they're always connected via CV but since one axle is disconnected by the actuator, hopefully not the stupid thermal actuator of the early ones, the ring and pinion and heavy differential don't turn, just the side and spiders, relatively light components.

No interest in manual hubs, when I go for the O.S. Lever (button now) I don’t want to be wishing I had put the hubs in. I also have no desire to destroy tires driving around with them in. Will see how the ford automatic hubs work out, the GM system worked well, didn’t crab nearly as badly as this Ford and was very reliable. 

Have owned all the brands at one time or nother but have GMC for 20+years and have no complaints. Had an 06 that was full of problems but GM bought it back. Have owned lots of Fords too and they were fine and I drive Fords at work. GMC is just more comfortable, rides better and does anything I ask it. These have all been long box regular cabs fairly loaded up. I build and order my trucks how I want them. Paying the prices of pickups these days I am certainly going to get something I want how I want it. 

• Like 3