Powerline ethernet

new guy

I am checking out options to get wifi to the new shop about 125 yards from the house. Until today my plan was to use a point to point system. A buddy told me this afternoon about these powerline ethernet kits. The shop is fed from the main box in the house to a subpanel in the shop and then jumped to another subpanel at the other end of my shed where the new shop and most of the power use will be. Would a powerline ethernet kit be a viable option to get wifi in the shop?

I know very little about this stuff and don't want to throw away money that could be spent on funner stuff.

42 minutes ago, new guy said:

I am checking out options to get wifi to the new shop about 125 yards from the house. Until today my plan was to use a point to point system. A buddy told me this afternoon about these powerline ethernet kits. The shop is fed from the main box in the house to a subpanel in the shop and then jumped to another subpanel at the other end of my shed where the new shop and most of the power use will be. Would a powerline ethernet kit be a viable option to get wifi in the shop?

I know very little about this stuff and don't want to throw away money that could be spent on funner stuff.

I bought the net gear version and was about that far and it didn’t work.  So I buried underground grade cat5 from the house to the shop, wireless routers on each end, and a long Linksys call to set all that up.  A senior manager where I work had good luck with the short distance he did with the power line ethernet deal.  But that was one end of the house to the other.  Your distance is like mine.  Didn’t come close to working.  Not that my experience is yours.  Good luck!   

I just had to run utilities 125 feet to my shop.  Buried 3/4" PEX as conduit (cheap) and pulled CAT 5 cable.   As others have said, I heard mixed reviews about the AC extenders.  If you have a clean shot for a shallow trench, CAT 5 is a guaranteed solution. 

• Like 1

I used a cheap Radio Shack version of that to put a landline in the shop.

About 100yds+/-

It worked pretty good for telephone but never tried the "data" (internet?) setting

Cat 6 is rated for a longer run than cat 5, haven’t used any 5 in years. Sticks in my mind cat 5 is good for 200’ and 6 is good for 250’, but i could be wrong, if you are talking about 375’ plus whatever you have inside so say 425’ over all you may need to consider a different product. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Cat 6 is rated for a longer run than cat 5, haven’t used any 5 in years. Sticks in my mind cat 5 is good for 200’ and 6 is good for 250’, but i could be wrong, if you are talking about 375’ plus whatever you have inside so say 425’ over all you may need to consider a different product. 

Yep, I agree with that.  The ATT guy had a big roll of cat5 for free and said it would be ok for my distance.  And it was free because they had quit using CAT5 and went to cat six and he said he had been carrying that around in his van for years   it’s worked fine   But if were buying it and installing, I’d agree you and use cat6 instead. We used underground armored cable.  

I’ll say this… getting one wireless router running off another via wired connection was complicated to me as my regular job is in electronics but I never learned the craft of IT. Linksys tech-support was surprisingly fantastic and they just really implemented all of this both remotely and with me involved in no time. 

I wish the AC extenders had worked for my distance though as that would’ve been much easier. 

Our internet provider installed a point to point system here at work so that we could get the grain dryer online.  Very reasonable price and works great as long as you don't have obstructions.  If I ever get my shop finished off on the inside this is the route I intend to go.