The new Farmall is....

Absent Minded Farmer

We just did some repairs on our 766,  new clutch, polished up the original paint,  repainted the muffler black and hooked it to the discbine.

I like to think im progressive minded and i do care about making things better for my kids,   But I dont see how me buying a new tractor is going to be better for the environment than just buying a few gallons of petroleum to keep the one in existence working away.    Am i wrong here?    I still need hydraulic fluid with the new electric also?   We still use our older stuff to farm our 250 acres.   Some of that equipment like our M is close to 75 years old.  Yes it runs on gasoline, and is not fuel efficient or the "best" for the environment, but is that worse for the environment than flying to cancun for spring break?  Forget about electric in this equation all together,  what is better for the earth,  farm with a serviceable ih 766 or consume all the resources and energy to make a new fuel efficient tractor that really doesnt bring anything to the table as far as production on the farm but added creature comforts like a nice cab with heat and ac?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cjf711 said:

We just did some repairs on our 766,  new clutch, polished up the original paint,  repainted the muffler black and hooked it to the discbine.

I like to think im progressive minded and i do care about making things better for my kids,   But I dont see how me buying a new tractor is going to be better for the environment than just buying a few gallons of petroleum to keep the one in existence working away.    Am i wrong here?    I still need hydraulic fluid with the new electric also?   We still use our older stuff to farm our 250 acres.   Some of that equipment like our M is close to 75 years old.  Yes it runs on gasoline, and is not fuel efficient or the "best" for the environment, but is that worse for the environment than flying to cancun for spring break?  Forget about electric in this equation all together,  what is better for the earth,  farm with a serviceable ih 766 or consume all the resources and energy to make a new fuel efficient tractor that really doesnt bring anything to the table as far as production on the farm but added creature comforts like a nice cab with heat and ac?

It hasn’t been said here that all old tractors should be scrapped and replaced with new tractors in a Cash For Clunkers program. Keeping old iron running is a good thing and doesn’t require much in the way of resources. Some negatives to  it are that the supply of old tractors is finite and shrinking by the day (driving up prices by supply & demand), not everyone is able to do their own repairs and they may be cost prohibitive or the parts are simply NLA. 
Reasons for getting a new machine, like you stated, are creature comforts and operator safety which can go a long ways in productivity. There are also tax laws with depreciation and capital expenditures that can come into play. Having a tractor with a warranty makes it easy to estimate operating costs over the upcoming years. 
There aren’t too many 250 acre row crop farms that are still going unless it’s more of a part time/hobby farm that someone does after regular day job work. Many grain farms are 20-100+x more acres than 250 acres. Farming that with 1970s tractors would require a whole lot of operators and equipment, that’s just not going to happen.  

If you’re willing and able to keep old tractors going there’s nothing wrong with that at all. They’re fun to operate (see thread on HCOP pictures) and are still useful in many cases. If someone would prefer to have a climate controlled “office space” filled with electronics and creature comforts that’s fine too. Many seem to have some of each. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 8:12 PM, 1256pickett said:

4 hours on a charge? What the h#*! are they thinking? 

4 hours at full load. Bet it runs a lot longer on light loads, like raking, or doing loader work.

For my operation I don't think I'd ever notice. Rarely do I ever run a tractor more than 3 hours at a time, and if I do it's the big tillage tractor which current electric technology can't replace yet. An electric 75c with cab and loader would completely replace my 756 AND do over half the work I currently do with the 5220 Maxxum. I could use it to rake and wrap and load round bales, plow snow in the winter, brush hog, haul firewood, lift heavy things, act as a portable scaffold/manlift... I'd probably use it way more than the 756 gets used now.

Hey CaseIH if you want to field test one for a year, I'm your huckleberry.

• Like 1

What’s this thing cost compared to the ICE model? Is it actually available for purchase right now? 

There’s lots of places that could use it around here, mostly because they have no amount of work to get done. Four hours is sufficient for a lot of tasks, but I can’t imagine buying a tractor that has that kind of a limit. 

I just think of how different the marketing is for the “new” Farmall. The salesman would have to start out by telling you all the things it can’t do and the fact that it is completely incapable of a hard days work. And it has to be marketed to people in the city because it has such limited applications on an actual farm. 

3 hours ago, cjf711 said:

If that is a diesel and not turned up, that is probably one of the more fuel efficient tractors out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

It will be at schools and park districts for mowing and grounds work where they work 4 hours and take 5 hour breaks and oh I’m sure there are big tax credits that reduce the price at taxpayer’s expense…..

See? There are plenty of practical applications for such a tractor!

Seriously though the grounds people at my high school had other things to do besides mow all day every day. They had a Deere 2520 as I recall 

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

It will be at schools and park districts for mowing and grounds work where they work 4 hours and take 5 hour breaks and oh I’m sure there are big tax credits that reduce the price at taxpayer’s expense…..

Schools and park districts are funded by the taxpayers so not sure how that works out with them receiving a tax credit.

Tax credits (for taxpayers) are taken off your total tax bill due, it’s not money given to someone or a company that was taken from another. 

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

What’s this thing cost compared to the ICE model? Is it actually available for purchase right now? 

There’s lots of places that could use it around here, mostly because they have no amount of work to get done. Four hours is sufficient for a lot of tasks, but I can’t imagine buying a tractor that has that kind of a limit. 

I just think of how different the marketing is for the “new” Farmall. The salesman would have to start out by telling you all the things it can’t do and the fact that it is completely incapable of a hard days work. And it has to be marketed to people in the city because it has such limited applications on an actual farm. 

No price yet, but it's actually listed on their site. Don't see any promo photos of it on a 3 bottom or one of the fancy new high speed discs (I think the smallest one of those requires about 100HP to do the job). It would be nice if they offered it without a cab & MFWD though.

At least they don't offer some kind of tractor sound noise maker.

Mike

https://www.caseih.com/en-us/unitedstates/products/tractors/farmall-series/farmall-electric-tractor#0

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

Schools and park districts are funded by the taxpayers so not sure how that works out with them receiving a tax credit.

Tax credits (for taxpayers) are taken off your total tax bill due, it’s not money given to someone or a company that was taken from another. 

The school and park districts are just using our tax money and are not real concerned about the cost because they’re getting money from the “Inflation Reduction Act” to go green 

The tax credits are money that is given away before it was received and if it is a EV credit it certainly helps the maker of the EV it’s like a back door subsidy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

If that is a diesel and not turned up, that is probably one of the more fuel efficient tractors out there. 

360d factory pump setting ,  it’s a good option for almost every type of chore, and it pulls the 8row cyclo in the spring

10 hours ago, MTB98 said:

So you need the electric tractor to run the block heater on the diesel so it can start (as long as the fuel isn’t gelled) to run a PTO generator to charge the electric tractor? 
Almost like a chicken and egg story. 

not a very good analogy, none of my tractors are dependent on the grid to operate- I use a block heater when I have 1/2 hr notice  as its easier on the tractor. That electric tractor is 100% dependent on electricity mine can make it

In an emergency of power failure for more than a  day with widespread area ( remember (2003)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 

you would want an ICE as a backup    

no one is picking up what you are settin' down🤠

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hillman said:

not a very good analogy, none of my tractors are dependent on the grid to operate- I use a block heater when I have 1/2 hr notice  as its easier on the tractor. That electric tractor is 100% dependent on electricity mine can make it

In an emergency of power failure for more than a  day with widespread area ( remember (2003)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 

you would want an ICE as a backup    

no one is picking up what you are settin' down🤠

You’re dependent on having a fuel supply on hand. Either electricity or gasoline or diesel or propane or whatever, every tractor needs fuel. In certain conditions without electricity a diesel may not start. You yourself stated you use a block heater. 
You can in fact make your own electricity and much more easily than you’d make your own gasoline or diesel or substitute fuel. 
I’m not settin’ anything down. All fuel types have advantages and disadvantages. To totally ignore the disadvantages of diesel while only focusing on the negatives of battery power is disingenuous. 

8 hours ago, MTB98 said:

Reasons for getting a new machine, like you stated, are creature comforts and operator safety which can go a long ways in productivity. There are also tax laws with depreciation and capital expenditures that can come into play. Having a tractor with a warranty makes it easy to estimate operating costs over the upcoming years. 

Here you go this ought to fit your operation 

https://solectrac.com/cet-electric-tractor/

image.png.e6723a27045289e1281f189280072436.png

So is the voucher a tax credit or a subsidy?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

You’re dependent on having a fuel supply on hand. Either electricity or gasoline or diesel or propane or whatever, every tractor needs fuel. In certain conditions without electricity a diesel may not start. You yourself stated you use a block heater. 
You can in fact make your own electricity and much more easily than you’d make your own gasoline or diesel or substitute fuel. 
I’m not settin’ anything down. All fuel types have advantages and disadvantages. To totally ignore the disadvantages of diesel while only focusing on the negatives of battery power is disingenuous. 

There are farms around me that store one years worth of diesel. Mostly because of “supply chain issues”. What does it take to store a years worth of electricity?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MTB98 said:

It hasn’t been said here that all old tractors should be scrapped and replaced with new tractors in a Cash For Clunkers program. Keeping old iron running is a good thing and doesn’t require much in the way of resources. Some negatives to  it are that the supply of old tractors is finite and shrinking by the day (driving up prices by supply & demand), not everyone is able to do their own repairs and they may be cost prohibitive or the parts are simply NLA. 
There aren’t too many 250 acre row crop farms that are still going unless it’s more of a part time/hobby farm that someone does after regular day job work. Many grain farms are 20-100+x more acres than 250 acres. Farming that with 1970s tractors would require a whole lot of operators and equipment, that’s just not going to happen.  

If you’re willing and able to keep old tractors going there’s nothing wrong with that at all. They’re fun to operate (see thread on HCOP pictures) and are still useful in many cases. If someone would prefer to have a climate controlled “office space” filled with electronics and creature comforts that’s fine too. Many seem to have some of each. 

I doubt it will ever be said HERE that we should scrap the old to make way for the new!  And yet im fearful there is a "growing" segment of the population that has that very idea for the way things should be going in mind and a course charted for that destination.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Is that the one that you can’t run the pto unless the tractor is moving, and only foward as it has no pto while backing up or standing still?

I don't know

Maybe the PTO runs backwards in reverse 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeeper61 said:

I don't know

Maybe the PTO runs backwards in reverse 

There was one in a video I watched on YouTube, and it didn’t have live power. I’m not sure if it was that brand, but I think it was. I assume it is because it is so overpriced few will buy it. The live pto would have cost even more. 

15 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Is that the one that you can’t run the pto unless the tractor is moving, and only foward as it has no pto while backing up or standing still?

Tractor Tim has been testing a Solectrac tractor for awhile now and has a few videos on it if you want to learn more about it. It seems to be a very crude tractor at best. They’ll probably be bought out by someone if they can advance their technology a little further. 

11 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

I doubt it will ever be said HERE that we should scrap the old to make way for the new!  And yet im fearful there is a "growing" segment of the population that has that very idea for the way things should be going in mind and a course charted for that destination.  

I would think the small number of old tractors probably aren’t on the radar of those wanting to do away with things. There  are a couple hundred million automobiles that are the easy first target. 

19 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

There are farms around me that store one years worth of diesel. Mostly because of “supply chain issues”. What does it take to store a years worth of electricity?

With diesel you can make electricity. Along with wind, solar, hydro, gasoline, etc. 

Its all a matter of perspective of what you consider to be “storage”

Once your diesel tanks run dry after a year what do you do if there isn’t any diesel to be had? 
*It doesn’t really matter because the world would be in total chaos and anarchy. 

22 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Here you go this ought to fit your operation 

https://solectrac.com/cet-electric-tractor/

image.png.e6723a27045289e1281f189280072436.png

So is the voucher a tax credit or a subsidy?

Here’s a link to the voucher program, it’s not a tax credit. 
http://californiacore.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/CORE-Implementation-Manual_060523.pdf

7 minutes ago, Drysleeves said:

The only reality in all of this is that none of it exists without subsidies and mandates. Economic unreality has become the normal.

The ag industry is heavily subsidized. As well as the energy sector. And healthcare.  And education. And on and on and on and on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTB98 said:

Here’s a link to the voucher program, it’s not a tax credit. 
http://californiacore.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/CORE-Implementation-Manual_060523.pdf

The ag industry is heavily subsidized. As well as the energy sector. And healthcare.  And education. And on and on and on and on. 

And it's all wrong but all intentional. They subsidize in order to control. Hobble economic liberty with artificial stricture and then blame it for failing so you can hobble some more. Homey don't play that.

• Like 5