Remember to take care of your health

Dirt_Floor_Poor

I have recently had some relatively serious health concerns. I thought I would pass on what is going on as I think it might be good information for others. 

About a month ago I was diagnosed with Melanoma skin cancer on my left forearm. To say this was a shock is an understatement as I am 38 years old. I had a mole removed on my arm that I have had my entire life because it felt a little different. My doctor assured me that it was nothing, but they would send it to pathology anyway. This mole wasn’t 1/2” tall or bleeding or anything. It just felt a little different. I have already had surgery to remove a chunk out of my arm and had some lymph nodes removed from my arm pit. The surgery was 10 days ago. I am healing well and the surgeon says that they got it all out of my arm and that there was no cancer in the lymph nodes. So the prognosis is good. I do still have to meet with another oncologist to see what he thinks. 

The moral of this story is that everyone should have a dermatologist examination at least once a year, at the very minimum. I never had one before because I didn’t think I needed it. If I had, I almost certainly could have avoided the surgery. Like many, many of us on here I have spent a lot of time in the sun. You are not too young to get cancer and if you have people who depend on you, you need to get checked. There’s no reason good enough to not do it. Make an appointment. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

Hang in there.  Im sorry for your situation.  Life can change in an instant.  It sounds like an early detection and a full recovery.  Hopefully this will be behind you very soon.

• Like 1

Very glad you caught it early and pray your doctor's prognosis sticks. 

I am a guy that my wife says grumbles away most health concerns. 

I have spent my entire life in the sun and although I don't have anything real noticeable, maybe closer inspection would not hurt. 

Thank you for bringing this up, something for all of us to think about

• Like 3

I'm glad they got it early. Hope it's good news from here.

I have thought of this lately. My now deceased uncle had some spots removed from his ears and maybe somewhere else on near his face, from years in the sun. In later years he wore a straw hat with a brim all the way around.  Think cowboy type hat. I've always worn baseball type hats/caps as did he and most around here. I've thought maybe for working outside the cowboy type straw hat may offer my ears and face more protection from the sun. But I've not done it yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If you have some spots that are suspicious to you, don’t wait. It could be nothing, but it could literally be a life and death situation.

They don't look suspicious. They are just spots so I expect they need to be checked.

I plan to go after harvest.

• Like 1

Colon and skin cancer is what gets my people.  Everyone needs a regular visit to a dermatologist and a colon doc and go as regularly as they say.  Each of those cancers can be localized and found in time, same as prostrate, but all three of those can be super aggressive if not.  

I’m sorry for the stress but glad it’s going as good as it can.  Hang in there and spread the word.  And you’re right, you’re never too young.  Get well.  

• Like 1

You need to keep track of moles, if they start changing shape you need to hot foot it into the doc. I had one on my right hand on top by the thump first finger area. Doc removed it sent it away. Called and said we need to remove more meat. Thankfully that took care of it, over 20 years ago. 

I have warren a cowboy hat since I was little and now 69 and have had spots on my ears treated as well as other spots on my face in the years since the first spot on my hand. But just a puff of liquid nitrogen has fixed all of them. Time to get in for the yearly checkup.

• Like 2

Good advice!!

I just had a mole taken off of my back this past Wednesday.   During my annual physical, I asked the doctor to look at my back because I had burned it severely, decades ago and I have a lot of brown spots on my back.

He noticed one that was black and looked different from the others.  He removed it, sent it in, and it was NOT cancerous.   🙏  

I dodged the bullet this time, but I will be more proactive in the future.

• Like 1

So far no lymph nodes cut on. had the top of both ears trimmed. They tell me the ones on my arms and chest are caused by too many years of a bight  blue light. I can't count the times I have been sunburned through a shirt bad enough that it blistered. I guess I will pay for it the rest of my life.

12 minutes ago, Finney said:

So far no lymph nodes cut on. had the top of both ears trimmed. They tell me the ones on my arms and chest are caused by too many years of a bight  blue light. I can't count the times I have been sunburned through a shirt bad enough that it blistered. I guess I will pay for it the rest of my life.

Most of our careers use us up a little bit at a time. I plan to visit the dermatologist every three months for at least the next year. I thought they would cut my arm first and then decide whether or not they would cut on my lymph nodes. I don’t know how they determine what they do, but the surgeon said for what I had they needed to do both at the same time. Nodular Melanoma is what they said I have/had. Apparently just a few weeks can be the difference between it spreading or not. I think it’s a miracle we even caught it when we did. I have sure learned a lot about what I should have been doing lately. 

When we were young, we were 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

Today, not so much.

I hate those super professional doctors more than watered down whiskey.

But, we do need them occasionally.

No one wants to be there but we do need them, once in awhile.

It's a grin and bear it thing.

My shoulder has been overhauled and had a heart ablation.

Glad I done both but at the time, I was ready to run, if I could have.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 11:29 AM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I have recently had some relatively serious health concerns. I thought I would pass on what is going on as I think it might be good information for others. 

About a month ago I was diagnosed with Melanoma skin cancer on my left forearm. To say this was a shock is an understatement as I am 38 years old. I had a mole removed on my arm that I have had my entire life because it felt a little different. My doctor assured me that it was nothing, but they would send it to pathology anyway. This mole wasn’t 1/2” tall or bleeding or anything. It just felt a little different. I have already had surgery to remove a chunk out of my arm and had some lymph nodes removed from my arm pit. The surgery was 10 days ago. I am healing well and the surgeon says that they got it all out of my arm and that there was no cancer in the lymph nodes. So the prognosis is good. I do still have to meet with another oncologist to see what he thinks. 

The moral of this story is that everyone should have a dermatologist examination at least once a year, at the very minimum. I never had one before because I didn’t think I needed it. If I had, I almost certainly could have avoided the surgery. Like many, many of us on here I have spent a lot of time in the sun. You are not too young to get cancer and if you have people who depend on you, you need to get checked. There’s no reason good enough to not do it. Make an appointment. 

I hope all stays well and for positive vibes. I'm 37 and never went to the doctor other than an error visit or 2 for stitches. Never went to the dentist or eye doctor I felt like I was young, invincible, living off 3 hours of sleep and red bull. If something didn't  feel right " I'd  go if I needed to" I was involved in a traumatic accident and was told to get a primary doctor. That opened my eyes to go to the dentist and eye doctor too. All preventative maintenance which can catch, and stop little issues until big ones.

• Like 2

I went in for my first dermatology visit a year ago in January at age 73. I had a thing that looked like a blood blister on my left arm in the same area as yours that was removed and 8 days later they called and said it was melanoma. I had surgery like yours on March 3rd last year and they took out 2 signal lymph nodes, which were clear. I haven't any further treatment, but saw the dermatologist 4 times last year and will go twice this year. 

20220307_130613.jpg

20220222_122243.jpg

• Like 1

I too have been wearing a wide brim hat for several years after a cancerous spot the size of a beer bottle cap was removed from my upper left arm. It wasn’t near as big as you guys have experienced, but does concern me. My face has been the most affected, ears and temples by my eyes. I am down to yearly checkups but keep a careful eye out for anything that shows up. And they are still carving on my 98 year old Mother. Her nose and ears are always checked and usually need attention.

• Like 1

I have worn a ball cap every day of my life. In 2014 they took a quarter sized chunk out of my nose about a quarter inch deep. Seems like the brims can't save us fellas. Mine was Basil cell. I was lucky. There is a dark spot on my left cheek they have frozen a few times already too. Seems to have doubled in size just over summer. Two new spots as well. Definitely need to get in soon. Thanks for the reminder. Best of luck to you fellas dealing with it now as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, russ_alabama said:

Colon and skin cancer is what gets my people.  Everyone needs a regular visit to a dermatologist and a colon doc and go as regularly as they say.  Each of those cancers can be localized and found in time, same as prostrate, but all three of those can be super aggressive if not.  

I’m sorry for the stress but glad it’s going as good as it can.  Hang in there and spread the word.  And you’re right, you’re never too young.  Get well.  

My little brother just lost his battle with colon cancer at age 51.  Thought he had caught a case of the flu over last Thanksgiving.  When it didn't clear up quickly he went to his doctor, who originally thought it was a gall bladder issue.  Imaging showed the tumor and further tests revealed that it was already at stage 4 and had started to spread to other organs.  He and his oncologist fought it with everything they could but it just wasn't enough.  Cancer sucks, folks.  Please get tested.

• Like 1