question international utility tractors

pt756

Hello. what kind of motors are put in the older utilities? 784, or 884 or a 885, I always thought they used the german diesel? and friend had a 674, actually 2 of them in the neighbor hood, guys claim hard to start in cooler weather,  and do their pto shut off like the 56 or 66 series ? where they kind of coast to a stop, I like our ford but the pto sure comes to a stop,

They have German diesels, I have used 385, 885, 454, and a 584. The 885 has a d268 which has what I feel is great torque for a 4 cylinder. The 385, and 454 had 3 cylinder Germans d155 and d179. They felt like strong runners for their HP. The 584 to me felt underpowered, but it may have been that particular tractor had an issue. They all start reasonably well into the 20's without either or being plugged up. They  have a PTO brake and stop pretty quick after shutting off PTO.

• Like 1

German diesel. I've generally found the D206 in the 585 etc wasn't enough especially if 4x4, loader and cab.  D155 in 385 same bore & stroke minus a cyl, same deal especially if 4x4 & loader. 

The D-179 and D-239 seem good to me. 

No issues cold start to me, I start a D-179 down to just below freezing with no ether or block heater. It's a good starter, and guaranteed start down into -20 / -30 and below with block heater. 

PTO is independent and hyd clutch pack, I feel they work perfect, you can feather the lever to engage smoothly, and at least on the later models the PTO lever is spring loaded and goes back to OFF quickly and the PTO coasts to a stop smoothly.  

I know what you mean about the Ford 7000etc PTOs, either On or OFF. My 784 row crop PTO doesn't behave Ford badly. The overfueler position on the run/stop cable does help it start better in colder temps.

The biggest thing I see on the PTO is that the 1000 shaft is UNDER the 540 shaft. Sure warps the PTO shaft alignment when all my implements are set for USA made tractors. Wonder why they did that?

My 684 since new wont start well under 50.  "Choke" knob, biggest battery and even a upgraded big gear drive starter still poor.  With the oem starter it was closer to under 60 it needed to be plugged in.  Now under 50 at night well plug it in evening before or else it most likely wont go.  Been good tractor really.  Did have to do TA 20+ years ago at 3000 something hr.  Some spirited stump removal made that happen imho.  7700 iirc now.  Just blows sawdust now.  Swept back axle and used to have a 2250.  Slow as molasses but tough combo and turned short.  Sold loader when we got SS and wheel loader.

Just now, TroyDairy said:

My 684 since new wont start well under 50.  "Choke" knob, biggest battery and even a upgraded big gear drive starter still poor.  With the oek starter it was closer to under 60 it needed to be plugged in.  Now under 50 at night well plug it in evening before or else it most likely wont go.  Been good tractor really.  Did have to do TA 20+ years ago at 3000 something hr.  7700 iirc now.  Swept back axle and used to have a 2250.  Slow as molasses but tough combo.  Sold loader when we got SS and wheel loader.

Oh... fwiw.  I personally know fellas whom the 84 series made them buy JD.  And the cold start was #1 issue.  A little 2240 will start good always really.

We have run a 464 D179 since 2016, We do mowing for hire, when the engine wont start it's too cold for the operator.  Prior to an engine overhaul , it was a never start below 40F, today it starts right at up round 40F. With a good battery, and fuel it has started at less than 20F. They ain't a Cat 3406 but they start. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Oh... fwiw.  I personally know fellas whom the 84 series made them buy JD.  And the cold start was #1 issue.  A little 2240 will start good always really.

Troy just the opposite here. I had a friend who had a 20 or 2630 Deere. They liked the tractor but it would start in cold weather. They went to t. he Deere dealer and tried a 2640. It wouldn't start either. They went across town to the IH dealer a tried a 784. It started on right up and they bought it on the spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eason said:

Troy just the opposite here. I had a friend who had a 20 or 2630 Deere. They liked the tractor but it would start in cold weather. They went to t. he Deere dealer and tried a 2640. It wouldn't start either. They went across town to the IH dealer a tried a 784. It started on right up and they bought it on the spot.

Isnt that funny😁

I fed on a dairy for years and the 2155 and 2950 fired up all 365 days a year no matter the weather.  I remember be surprised since our 684 (and uncles 84, 784) all had to be plugged in all winter.  The dealer here for decades would only install 84H starters on all 84 85 series since for some reason they are heavier.  

17 hours ago, oleman said:

We have run a 464 D179 since 2016, We do mowing for hire, when the engine wont start it's too cold for the operator.  Prior to an engine overhaul , it was a never start below 40F, today it starts right at up round 40F. With a good battery, and fuel it has started at less than 20F. They ain't a Cat 3406 but they start. 

My 464 gas always fires up too... 😉😁

40? That aint cold thats 2 tee shirt weather.

Iirc uncle 784 (bought well used) vs his 84h ( bought new) and our 684 (new also) the 684 has been hands down worse.  Then the 84H then the 784.