Buyers Guide

Big Bud guy

On 8/17/2023 at 10:41 PM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

There's one here for our Canadian friends. The older hardbound catalogs are some of my favorites & this is one of them. No, it's not a mint copy either. I prefer thumb-able copies of various literature that I do't feel bad for looking through without the white gloves.

What do they show in there for the feed grinders? I have one but I think its newer.

Thanks for posting the combine section of both red and green combines. Every IH sidehill combine here had 4 way leveling as far as I know.  No idea you could get 2 way. I only know of 3 combines tipping over 2 were IH, and 4 way leveling was implicated as part of the problem on both.  But I was not around ether to really know.

I also did not know JD offered a gas engine after the square backs in 64. I just know the 248 diesels in the 95H was a candite for worst engine ever built. Because I had one for 4 or 5 years.

11 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Thanks for posting the combine section of both red and green combines. Every IH sidehill combine here had 4 way leveling as far as I know.  No idea you could get 2 way. I only know of 3 combines tipping over 2 were IH, and 4 way leveling was implicated as part of the problem on both.  But I was not around ether to really know.

I also did not know JD offered a gas engine after the square backs in 64. I just know the 248 diesels in the 95H was a candite for worst engine ever built. Because I had one for 4 or 5 years.

JD offered gas engines in combines up through 1975 on the 00 series.  Most square backs were gassers in all actuality.  POS or not, 95Hs are uncommon and with diesel engines even more rare.

I don't know when the 303 diesel replaced the 248, but much less problematic. But I would guess 2, 248's for ever 303 in this area.  Back in the day of a 95 a 60 to 80 day cutting season was normal so fuel saving from diesel to gas was enough that everybody bought diesel. 

Thinking on it more most 248's ran 5 to 10 seasons reasonable well. It was just after they had been opened up things went down hill fast. Two old bachelor brothers had a 64 JD95H since new. Cut about a 1000 acres a year. Once they started having engine trouble they spared no expense to make it run. Used several different people to rebuild. Ended up a every other year job if they could even get 2 seasons. Just the ones I know that had it done the best possible. My pardner in harvesting talked me into using parts the brother had junked. Putting J-B Weld on the pits in o-ring grove in the bottom of sleeves it ran as many hours as there all new parts.