2 more join the herd. Now more questions

Got a call last week from a guy who bought an estate and had a tractor abandoned on the property.  My dad made an offer and picked up the t340a. Runs and works but serious oil burning and blowing out of exhaust.  That's his project and he will look in the engine and see what's going on.  Then I looked at this 500c last month but passed on it as I couldn't really use any parts....well, my son Ian bought that one.  This one has a torque converter  with a 3 speed  tranny. Owner states machine had little pushing power  when he bought it and parked it 8 years ago. I'm not familiar with that setup. Oil is milky colored and way over full. Machine will take tension out of the tracks but will not move. It rolls fine. Without getting beat up how does this machine work ? Converter turns the tranny I'm assuming. But where do I start with troubleshooting? Oil and filters will be changed. My 175 had a screen that had to be cleaned now and then.  Not sure where to start. And sone pics of course.20230812_171153.thumb.jpg.7396dd5c43fc1faebe03d00ce6b0761c.jpg20230812_145809.thumb.jpg.319b75a590f63523fe743e59dfe6dbf1.jpg20230812_144332.thumb.jpg.d6b020c7567ecff579a6a67996433c9f.jpg20230808_181717.thumb.jpg.d680123d092213145db40d6b687582ca.jpg20230812_130337.thumb.jpg.e5357c2a59733d09ca8b2ff3766d7db5.jpg

20230812_130329.jpg

• Like 5

Brian:  I haven't been into mine further than taking the transmission top off to clean it out.  It is a simple 3 speed with a torque converter and reverser.  There are two filters under your left foot and a suction screen in the lower right front of the transmission.  Does the torque converter gauge on the right of the dash show anything?

Filter look like they

Have been on there for 20 years.  I ordered a shop manual so once it's home I'll dig  into it.  The issue is this machine is parked in the back yard and will need to be snaked out through the yard around walls, trees and other landscaping  to get it to the street.  Was going to bring the triaxle and backhoe from work to assist. I'm hoping the cat 420 will be able to push the loader up onto the tag trailer  then just street the backhoe back to our house to unload it. My f250 pulled the machine out of the woods but machine is too heavy for the truck to pulled it around everything.

Brian:  When you go to get it take a digging bar, etc and make sure there is no side to side play in the sprocket.  There is a large axle nut under the hex cover inside the final drives that can come loose if someone put a cotter key in it instead of a roll pin.  If it is loose the bearings loose their preload, drop into the gears and bad things happen.  Ask me how I know!!

Nice ones,  look like good units to boot

• Thanks 1

Got the 500 home today. The mini excavator was able to push it onto the trailer.  Ordered all filters and got it up on  Blocks so I can sorta fit under there.  Gave it a bath and this week we will drop the belly pan  and find that screen.  Hydraulic filter was so clogged it was blowing oil  out of the cap. I don't think anyone did service on this machine. Haven't done much research in the manual yet  but the steering levers don't appear to be releasing the clutch. They apply the brakes almost instantly so I'm hoping adjusting that will solve the steering issue.

20230819_132253.jpg

IMG_20230819_113913_01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Brian:  I haven't been into mine further than taking the transmission top off to clean it out.  It is a simple 3 speed with a torque converter and reverser.  There are two filters under your left foot and a suction screen in the lower right front of the transmission.  Does the torque converter gauge on the right of the dash show anything?

Got em !