Oliver tractor found

hillman

That's a great story. My dad and uncle have fond memories of a Super 77D that they traded off for a 2nd 1066 in the late 80s. It ended up in a collectors hands and is not for sale but we know where it is. We've always had an Oliver on the farm since then but newer ones. I got to sit in on a conversation between my dad and his neighbor last week and they were both talking about how much they liked the Fleetline and Super series Oliver's. The neighbor switched to JD after fixing too many Hydrapowers in 770s and 880s. My family was a mix of Oliver and Moline for yard and hay tractors and IH for the big horses. If I was gonna buy an antique era tractor it'd be a toss up between a 450G and Super88D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

That's a great story. My dad and uncle have fond memories of a Super 77D that they traded off for a 2nd 1066 in the late 80s. It ended up in a collectors hands and is not for sale but we know where it is. We've always had an Oliver on the farm since then but newer ones. I got to sit in on a conversation between my dad and his neighbor last week and they were both talking about how much they liked the Fleetline and Super series Oliver's. The neighbor switched to JD after fixing too many Hydrapowers in 770s and 880s. My family was a mix of Oliver and Moline for yard and hay tractors and IH for the big horses. If I was gonna buy an antique era tractor it'd be a toss up between a 450G and Super88D 

I have a 77 standard, pretty much had every tractor of that era in that size. The Ollie is #2 behind IH in my opinion

• Like 2

I've thought that the mist (sometimes called "missed") green units were neat to see.   Not that I perfered them over the regulars ones, just a nice break from the standard colors.  

• Like 2

I just read this thread. Great story. Never knew there was such an Oliver. 2 days ago, I went to the Steam show in Canandaigua, which featured and had a boatload of Olivers. I should have looked closer at the 880s.

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

I just read this thread. Great story. Never knew there was such an Oliver. 2 days ago, I went to the Steam show in Canandaigua, which featured and had a boatload of Olivers. I should have looked closer at the 880s.

was it my imagination or did the son and father get a little emotional about that tractor? Grandpa's tractor, the first tractor you ever drove etc are more than just a machine

50 minutes ago, hillman said:

was it my imagination or did the son and father get a little emotional about that tractor? Grandpa's tractor, the first tractor you ever drove etc are more than just a machine

sure thing they did! I often think about the history of Dad's 656 when I use it. Doubt I could do as well as they did under the circumstances.

• Like 1

I read this post yesterday and it was very interesting, never knew anything about this mist green on 880's. Today I was at a show in Almelund, Mn that was featuring Oliver machinery. Much to my surprise was an 880 "mist green" with a little history about it. I told the guys I was with about what I read on here yesterday.

DWF

• Like 1

There are three Oliver tractors my Dad sold off or traded in back in the 70’s. An Old Style 88, an 880 and a 77. I only have the serial number for the 77; 322761B. Haven’t worked too hard to find it. Guess I should.

• Like 1