Allis Collectibles

hillman

17 hours ago, dale560 said:

Worked on the engine of a couple allis crawlers. A 2 cylinder Detroit in a hd3 I think it was and worked some on a big big 21 or something like that it needed a crankshaft a big old son of a gun.

@dale560.....The HD 5 had a two cylinder      Detroit....  Great little tractor for Ag work.....However, with the advent of dismantling WW2 Aircraft  in the early to late Fifties in New  Zealand......plus the enthusiasm  for  local engineers being asked to put ''blades '   on primarily agricultural tractors, resulted in aircraft hydraulic  pumps and  rams , plus a ton or three of  assorted pieces of steel hanging off these small   Allis /   International /   Cletrac and Caterpillar D2  Ag   crawlers....

That most survived for awhile was a credit to the designers....but ultimately , those crude conversions were   like a slow festering cancer...and  reduced the machines to just a bucket of bolts.....

New Zealand has a lot of hills....all the hills have rock in there somewhere.....The NZFS    had a bunch of HD16    Allis   'dozers....Like the aforementioned HD11..it was never the engine (s)...but just about everything else that succumbed to that sort of torture.....

The arrival of the Excavator finally sorted out the roading issues....and now the big Komatsu and Caterpillars 'dozers are also immune to the rock issues....

I only have 'regular' pictures from that era   ....none ready for the computor....

Mike

....thats the sort of Forestry roading I was on about......that sorted out the   big IH TD's...and the big HD16 and 21.s   The HD19 and HD 20  didn't feature in ''my '' era......Those Detroit  powered   old tractors did native logging...but very little  NZ  Forestry work in the area  where I was....

Mike

post-157-1203158671.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

@dale560.....The HD 5 had a two cylinder      Detroit....  Great little tractor for Ag work.....However, with the advent of dismantling WW2 Aircraft  in the early to late Fifties in New  Zealand......plus the enthusiasm  for  local engineers being asked to put ''blades '   on primarily agricultural tractors, resulted in aircraft hydraulic  pumps and  rams , plus a ton or three of  assorted pieces of steel hanging off these small   Allis /   International /   Cletrac and Caterpillar D2  Ag   crawlers....

That most survived for awhile was a credit to the designers....but ultimately , those crude conversions were   like a slow festering cancer...and  reduced the machines to just a bucket of bolts.....

New Zealand has a lot of hills....all the hills have rock in there somewhere.....The NZFS    had a bunch of HD16    Allis   'dozers....Like the aforementioned HD11..it was never the engine (s)...but just about everything else that succumbed to that sort of torture.....

The arrival of the Excavator finally sorted out the roading issues....and now the big Komatsu and Caterpillars 'dozers are also immune to the rock issues....

I only have 'regular' pictures from that era   ....none ready for the computor....

Mike

That’s what it was mike a hd5. Overhauled it about 20 years ago and guy used it but let it set in his pole barn and it flooded was halfway sunder water for years and then the ice took barn down. The 21 crawler needed a crankshaft because an injector line inside the head broke filling crankcase with fuel. The owner found a welded crank in Louisiana and it was an ordeal to ship it here. But it ran when done. I can’t remember size of engine though. 

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

This is a B-1 my grandfather restored, and a wagon I bought for him to go with it. He has the mower and snowblower for it but needless to say those don't get used. He worked as an engineer at AC when this was released and traveled the country teaching service men how to service them. He specifically said he tore down and rebuilt the transmission more times than he could remember.

KIMG0360.JPG

KIMG0361.JPG

I am assuming thats staying in the family? its a beauty

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hillman said:

I am assuming thats staying in the family? its a beauty

Oh yeah. No question. Thank you! He had to do so much custom work on that thing. The paint, the decals, the expanded metal grille... It's never getting away!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 4:20 PM, hillman said:

I hope I am not jinxing myself but I have this little snowblower bought online just need to pick it up this evening. I have never seen one like it. I will build a nice strong self in a shed and it will be eye candy while I own it

If anyone has some Allis oddities, please post them here

acsnow.jpg

acsno.jpg

I think these would have been a rebadged Simplicity.  Since they were wholly owned by Allis-Chalmers, the vast majority of their equipment was re-badged.  There were some occasions where some differences between the two were had, to make someone buy one brand over the other.   Most interesting AC collectable that I've seen is a stick welder.  One of my customers collects AC stuff.  Only a handful of tractors, but he has the 6 wheelers, mini bikes, refrigerators, welder, tools, you name it, he has it.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M35A2 said:

I think these would have been a rebadged Simplicity.  Since they were wholly owned by Allis-Chalmers, the vast majority of their equipment was re-badged.  There were some occasions where some differences between the two were had, to make someone buy one brand over the other.   Most interesting AC collectable that I've seen is a stick welder.  One of my customers collects AC stuff.  Only a handful of tractors, but he has the 6 wheelers, mini bikes, refrigerators, welder, tools, you name it, he has it.  

Allis bought Simplicity long before that blower was made so technically the Simplicities up until Allis sold off that division were rebadged Allis products. The Lawn and Garden tractors like for example 700 series vs Simplicity had a few visible differences but basically the same machines made by Allis Chalmers.

not the same argument as MTD build Cub Cadets rebadged since IH did not own them at that time

my Allis collectables won't fit on any shelf, but here they are.

1937 WC. Went to auction for something else, came home with this. It had a big snowplow on the front that was hydraulically raised.

100_2186-Copy(3).thumb.JPG.94114f8a7469e57559641d267de61922.JPG

2003-01-0316_28_42.thumb.jpg.f33df7db5434b5ba0a37c878092e8082.jpg

Allis corn picker. Friend gave it to me, I got it working just to see if it would pick corn. 1/2 mile per hour with the hydro was OK, 1 mph, it would plug. Guess it needs more work.

2020-03-1311_30_50.thumb.jpg.4583afae040500493c0ead6f96237ac9.jpg

Allis round baler rescued from the junk man.

2021-04-1216_38_35.thumb.jpg.d185f80fb5b9ce080c71a7c8d564aecc.jpg

I have an Allis 40 combine waiting for someone that needs parts. Over the years, there have been many Allis unloading wagons and running gears, now all just parts or gone.

• Like 4

On 8/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, mike newman said:

....thats the sort of Forestry roading I was on about......that sorted out the   big IH TD's...and the big HD16 and 21.s   The HD19 and HD 20  didn't feature in ''my '' era......Those Detroit  powered   old tractors did native logging...but very little  NZ  Forestry work in the area  where I was....

Mike

post-157-1203158671.jpg

My grandfather wrote a portion of one of those machines service manuals. Can't remember which one, but there's a copy of it at his house, too

• Like 1

I hope this thread don't die too soon, theres a lot of Allis history. CH Wendel wrote a book as good as the IH one on Allis Chalmers. I have a copy . those Crestline books are great

5137DQA791L._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

• Like 1

got a break in the weather

going out tomorrow with the AC C to cut hay

ill see if my wife will go out and get pictures

• Like 2

I have an IH 3pth rotary mower but I prefer this pull type so I can use on old tractor for a job. its the heaviest one I know of, I think someone mentioned a while ago Allis did not make this mower but it was sold by AC so good enough for me

DSCI1710.JPG

• Like 4

Model Four  2-12 I (designed to work with any tractor )I used  at plowing match. In July .  After wards  I painted it to take to shows close and plow where show have the exhibition set up to plow . 

after (and during) the match the kind fellows  there helped me out by suggesting, telling things to correct. After fifty  more years of neglect ,there’s plenty to do. Furrows side is cutting about 18 inches ( have to move the tractor wheel in to about 21 inches on the Farmall C ( 24 now for corn planters .
got a list of potential purchases 

looking for jointers ,18 inch coulters, tires 5.00-16 (26 inch outside diameter) . 

got the AC 72 Combine but that’s another story for another day .

IMG_0973.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

71242035388__D4F3BB54-583B-43F2-88E6-CE52EC5FE69E.jpeg

71242030994__5E153085-6D46-407F-ABE7-679585FEF82D.jpeg

• Like 2

.....just some of the ''cutting edge '' equipment we had back in the halcyon days of tobacco growing....picture circa late sixties...

...Allis  Charmers   model G   on the   Nash  ''transporter''.....note the 28inch tyres    on the 'G' ...it never broke an axle , even with those big tyres....despite what all the observers  solemnly  predicted....

We had another farm a few miles from home....hence the   Nash  was often used to shift the wee tractor......no seat belts fitted in the American 'pickup'...so one had to be careful.....:rolleyes:

...also had  ....still have in fact,  a Model B   Allis ....not as prevalent as    Farmall   A / Cub's  but  lot more than the John Deere Model M .....

Mike

post-157-1161486063     allis g.jpg

Picture (60).jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hillman said:

I have an Allis Chalmers scale ( machinist's) and I have been looking for it a week. panic is setting in 🥴

Stop looking for it. If you're not looking for it, it isn't lost!

Well, this isn't exactly collectible but since I drug it home yesterday, I'll post it here. Early D-17 with some sort of loader on it. If I keep the tractor, it will come off, it may anyway. Carburetor was in the toolbox and I don't think correct, working on finding something around here that will work. Like I needed another project, but, the price was right!

17-1.jpg

17-2.jpg

• Like 2