Back plate for a 310 engine.

Red666

Got a 686 with a dead gas motor have a 310 out of a 706. I haven’t been able to find a rear engine plate for a 686 with the 310 engine but I found a rear engine plate for a 544 with the 239 engine. Question is will the 239 plate fit the 310. Part number is different so does anyone know? Thanks for your help. 

I wouldn't give up hope without at least checking to see if it would work. The deck height/longer stroke shouldn't make any difference, because the backing plate does not attach to the head. It bolts to the block in the flywheel area.

Unless the Doncaster Utility tractors have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the American row crops, I doubt if anything off one of them will work.

• Like 1

I keep thinking that the back plate on a 544 with a 239 and a686 with the 310 would be the same but maybe the bolt pattern is different so then they are not the same. Hoped someone might have tried it and would know. Thinking this might be a good winter project so trying to put together a budget didn’t want to buy the back plate on speculation. Thanks for your input. 

1 hour ago, Red666 said:

I keep thinking that the back plate on a 544 with a 239 and a686 with the 310 would be the same but maybe the bolt pattern is different so then they are not the same. Hoped someone might have tried it and would know. Thinking this might be a good winter project so trying to put together a budget didn’t want to buy the back plate on speculation. Thanks for your input. 

If you have a salvage yard close I would think they would let you compare to see if it will work before you purchase. Just offer to pay for their time if it won’t work. 

The frame rails mount the same on both tractors and the 686 has the longer frame rails for the 310 engine. I would have to ask the salvage yard with the 239 back plate to see if they had a 310 engine to see if it would fit. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, rbeckman said:

The backing plate might be different because the frame rails mount different at the back, if you got frame rails also and made them longer the 544 parts might work.

Even if they were different, the 686 frame rails mount to the sides of the bell housing, and the plate bolts to the front of the bell housing. They don't interfere with each other at all.

The only question here is if a D239 is just a D310 with two cylinders lopped out of the middle, or a completely different engine. AFAIK, the D239 used in the 544 is the same as the one used in the 674 and later tractors. 

23 hours ago, rbeckman said:

On my 656 the frame rails bolts to the front of the backing plate/bell housing, the 544 bolts mainly to the side with 1 to the front. the 544 frame rails would be shorter.

The 686 frame rails bolt on the same as the 544, but they are longer for the 6 cylinder engine, so no problems there.

I would contact Ed Leaman.  I believe he can either tell you what fits or sell you a aluminum backing plate.

http://leamantractorparts.com/farmallinternationalcaseih360414436adapter11incl.aspx

On 8/14/2023 at 9:40 AM, Red666 said:

If you are looking to use a 544 backing plate make sure it's for a 544 FARMALL. The Farmall is based off of a 656 driveline, the utility is based off of a 504.

• Thanks 1