Jump to content

Tractor of the week. Week 31: 656


nepoweshiekfarmalls

Recommended Posts

I forgot to post this last week, so playing catch up!  The 656 was built from 1965 to 1972.  The 656 was available as a row crop, utility,  row crop utility and high crop. A choice of 263 gas or LP gas or 282 diesel engines were available. In the spring of 1967, the styling was changed from the look of the 06 series to 56 series to maintain continuity among the various models.

Here are mine to start off:

20180830_121850.thumb.jpg.e1efe1cc1ab2f256936400560f2c5784.jpg

20201122_120353.thumb.jpg.b7e0e5b348043aff748fabe4275d5a4a.jpg

20230329_180823.thumb.jpg.5c733c95ef6ac89f556c277d1b61f374.jpg

3 from 1966

20170908_181341.thumb.jpg.e648b53c9f355c0732b9953b7997066e.jpg

20171029_152005.thumb.jpg.7e259dfa92419b3ba65abc867bc7cfee.jpg

Early 1967 hydro with and without Westendorf loader.

20171021_130842.thumb.jpg.40d8c58ede20f39bb4e97cee7d4fd552.jpg

1968 diesel row crop utility 

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably my favorite 656. It was the show tractor in 2017 when RPRU was in Iowa last. Little Man was born in 2017 so I bought a tractor for him at the show. Kept it in the box until he could reach the pedals. He practices for pedal pulls by making laps in the gravel. 

41CE2040-895B-4453-83CA-3C087306A35A.jpeg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a fan of the little tractors

My friend George had 4 of em, 2 gas and 2 diesel

This was taken at his ranch sale

I wasn't in the market at the time for another 656 but I went to his sale to support him during a rough time and wound up buying his 1486 

656s.thumb.jpg.ffbfac514f82d25704b171e22d5b470b.jpg

656F11.thumb.jpg.9d84e9268fee460ac945940d47d18ac1.jpg

He bought back his favorite 656 with a shuttle shift

After he passed away from Stage 4 Esophogeal Cancer I bought this tractor from his wife.

It will be a favorite tractor of mine as a rake tractor and loader tractor

I think the shuttle shift will make a dandy loader tractor with the 5 fwd and 5 rev speeds

It is in the "shop" now with a ps line leak

intheshop(2).thumb.jpg.cb4bee89cf1ead81621bbe53b05a7edd.jpg

One of the first tractors I owned was this 656 hydro that the bank wound up getting

656anddual340.jpg.6e470aa20412d69ca1e73fbd451aeffb.jpg

I swore I would own one again someday and I do

intheyard.thumb.jpg.cfbeb7e8211ae71704c7a67d461766c1.jpg

I also have another 656 hydro with the hydro out that I use as a parts tractor

So, yeah, guess you could call me a fan.🤠

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  Around these parts probably the widest sold single model of IH while it was made.  The 656 was either a primary or secondary tractor on quite a number of farms.  

There was one on almost every IH farm around here also from what I’m told.  Still several around for small jobs and chores. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I am a fan of the little tractors

My friend George had 4 of em, 2 gas and 2 diesel

This was taken at his ranch sale

I wasn't in the market at the time for another 656 but I went to his sale to support him during a rough time and wound up buying his 1486 

656s.thumb.jpg.ffbfac514f82d25704b171e22d5b470b.jpg

656F11.thumb.jpg.9d84e9268fee460ac945940d47d18ac1.jpg

He bought back his favorite 656 with a shuttle shift

After he passed away from Stage 4 Esophogeal Cancer I bought this tractor from his wife.

It will be a favorite tractor of mine as a rake tractor and loader tractor

I think the shuttle shift will make a dandy loader tractor with the 5 fwd and 5 rev speeds

It is in the "shop" now with a ps line leak

intheshop(2).thumb.jpg.cb4bee89cf1ead81621bbe53b05a7edd.jpg

One of the first tractors I owned was this 656 hydro that the bank wound up getting

656anddual340.jpg.6e470aa20412d69ca1e73fbd451aeffb.jpg

I swore I would own one again someday and I do

intheyard.thumb.jpg.cfbeb7e8211ae71704c7a67d461766c1.jpg

I also have another 656 hydro with the hydro out that I use as a parts tractor

So, yeah, guess you could call me a fan.🤠

 

Is your shuttle on a row crop 656?

All the shuttles I've seen were on utilities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbor and friend had a 656 row crop with shuttle shift. He didn’t think it had enough power to run his bush hog rotary mower, so he traded it on a JD 4010 3 years ago.  Had the tube style grille like the 56 series. Kind of a nice straight tractor. Even had a nice working radio mounted on flat top fenders. I should’ve bought it from him I suppose!  😀

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. 

Dad made a deal on a 656D back in the very early 70s. But dad wanted them to deliver the tractor and let him try it. If he liked it he would pay the driver. He gave them directions to the 'painter farm' where he would meet the driver.

Dad worked around all day at the painter farm and the driver never showed. The next morning he drove to the dealership to find out why the driver never showed. They were confused because they thought he bought the tractor. Dad explained in sailor and cowboy language that he certainly didn't because the trucker never showed up!

They produced the sales ticket that had a neighbors signature on it.

The trucker made a wrong turn and ended up at a neighbors farm (Joe Bartlett) about a mile west of the painter farm. The driver showed up, unloaded the tractor and got the paperwork out. Joe liked the deal and never told the driver any different. The driver returned, turned in the paperwork and payment. nobody knew any difference until dad showed up the next day.

So we never ended up with a 656D but dad did buy a 706D a few years later.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hillman said:

 I love my old 656, starts in the winter when power goes out - proof below

DSCI1461.JPG

DSCI0978.JPG

Cool Christmas wreath

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, acem said:

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. 

Dad made a deal on a 656D back in the very early 70s. But dad wanted them to deliver the tractor and let him try it. If he liked it he would pay the driver. He gave them directions to the 'painter farm' where he would meet the driver.

Dad worked around all day at the painter farm and the driver never showed. The next morning he drove to the dealership to find out why the driver never showed. They were confused because they thought he bought the tractor. Dad explained in sailor and cowboy language that he certainly didn't because the trucker never showed up!

They produced the sales ticket that had a neighbors signature on it.

The trucker made a wrong turn and ended up at a neighbors farm (Joe Bartlett) about a mile west of the painter farm. The driver showed up, unloaded the tractor and got the paperwork out. Joe liked the deal and never told the driver any different. The driver returned, turned in the paperwork and payment. nobody knew any difference until dad showed up the next day.

So we never ended up with a 656D but dad did buy a 706D a few years later.

Wow. Just wow.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you count the number of tractors here, the 656 must be my favorite. I have 5, all gas, because all but one were loader tractors at some point, that got started and shut off a lot, and always started without maintaining glow plugs.

My first 656. Dad bought it new in 1968, gear drive, carried a New Idea loader until 1980, then a 2250 loader. I bought it at his auction in 1989. Engine transplant from a 403C combine in about 2006. It still gets used for many things.

Dad planting corn when it was quite new.

GmoreDonOlinplantingcorn-Copy(2).jpeg.2c868c3af4abec648730851ea200e821.jpeg

Here at Moozoo.

dads656.JPG.e7271582fc194369b132f2f1b9d7857f.JPG

2003-07-0811_03_35.thumb.jpg.185b14bbed8b0d168c2cf585c33d2b30.jpg

100_3126.JPG.84aa00d320f73be0389110157a961021.JPG

Not a good picture, but the badge on it.

100_3115.JPG.3def3e474465a53bfb8c4c59ee1b0049.JPG

All the rest are hydros. My next 656, notice the badge on it.

100_3108.thumb.JPG.8b0e194ea162c0f8745d72bc3e863c3f.JPG

badge.JPG.ccab05cd0910c04f7e62fb1887343e61.JPG

Then came 3 Farmall hydros.

100_3111.thumb.JPG.5a2c670cf8aea7dda11961f2784e18ff.JPG

 

100_1876.thumb.JPG.2aa516d98ff4513d591d5146a623ccae.JPG

Shinyat2021plowday.thumb.jpg.1adb147ce3988f0d6fbdf7b42919f255.jpg

The last one is the only one that didn't carry a loader, but it was next in line for one if needed. It did pull the 412 plow like a champ at plow day.

The 5th one is on the left, with the Oliver ROPS/canopy. It still carries a 2250 loader.

shiny and skippy.JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I have a ‘72 Farmall diesel hydro. I’ve probably posted these pictures before. It has the same style hydraulic couplers as a 66 series. I assume that was only in’ ‘72 since they overlapped the 66 series?

 

250.jpeg

IMG_2840.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

That would be an interesting rig to plow with! Bring it down to Collins for Kapoot pickin' and plowin' day this fall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Almost all the 656 I've seen were full sized row crop FARMALLs. I think I've seen two utilities. Both gas, one hydro. Never a high crop or row crop utility.

There were a lot more 706 round here than 656. Not many 756 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

That would be an interesting rig to plow with! Bring it down to Collins for Kapoot pickin' and plowin' day this fall?

That would be fun.  I think that picture was the last time I used that plow.  Getting there might be an issue.  I'd probably need to make 2 trips to get both down there with either of my trailers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you ever want to sell that plow, let me know! Even if you don't bring a rig to plow with it's a great day, the Struther's have rigs they let people run. Have my eye on that 2150 that was at the show. Think they have a six bottom something with on-land hitch. I'm looking forward to it already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DT Fan said:

If you ever want to sell that plow, let me know! Even if you don't bring a rig to plow with it's a great day, the Struther's have rigs they let people run. Have my eye on that 2150 that was at the show. Think they have a six bottom something with on-land hitch. I'm looking forward to it already.

I'd be interested in more info, date and address.  Harvest time is tough but if it's on a Sunday I might be able to get down just to watch if nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I'd be interested in more info, date and address.  Harvest time is tough but if it's on a Sunday I might be able to get down just to watch if nothing else.

I will get that for you. Think it is on a Sunday, in October. Let me get back to you later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...