A&I Belts

Cdfarabaugh

I'm an A&I reseller (yes go and get your pitchforks ready...... 🤣).  I'm also picky what I'll let people buy off me as yes, some stuff is crap.  

I have had quite a few people inquire about belts for combines and such.  Deere is getting pretty proud of some of the belts, and generally with some markup I can still come in about 25-30% cheaper with A&I, and compared to a stock order if not in the dealer network can get them faster (next day if in Grimsby and 2 days from Georgia).  

Lots of Chinese crap out there I see as a cross reference on different v belt sites, hopefully it's not the case here.  

We have had two A&I belts maybe 10 years ago, not impressed, went OEM after. Hopefully they have improved. I pretty much avoid A&I unless they are the only option. Two PTO shafts twisted off less than a year old, 966 front spindle snapped off inside the knee tube while driving down the road wide open - only a few months old and certainly not abused, those same spindles never could get the steering arms clocked right, seems the splines on the spindle are exactly opposite what they should be. We have given them chance after chance and been burned on most of it. 

I do hope for your sake that things have improved and that you do well with things. 

• Like 1

I have run some A&I belts before. I can’t say I make a habit of it, but the ones I had were just fine. I have used quite a bit of A&I combine wear parts and have been satisfied. I bought a concave and cylinder bars for a couple of 9610’s last year and they were made in Canada. I have also used quite a few A&I augers and have also got along good.

As a parts guy at a John Deere dealer, we of course also stock and sell some A & I parts. Last year we (John Deere) could not get feed accelerator belts so we had to resort to selling the A and I belts and so far they seem to be working just fine. I also have an A & I belt on my number 1000 sickle mower and it is holding up good. My experience most of the A & I products are good but some things like radiators are junk. One thing interestingly enough I sold a set of A & I opener blades for a 1770 planter and they seemed to be of better quality than the OEM ones.

4 minutes ago, JDpartsman said:

As a parts guy at a John Deere dealer, we of course also stock and sell some A & I parts. Last year we (John Deere) could not get feed accelerator belts so we had to resort to selling the A and I belts and so far they seem to be working just fine. I also have an A & I belt on my number 1000 sickle mower and it is holding up good. My experience most of the A & I products are good but some things like radiators are junk. One thing interestingly enough I sold a set of A & I opener blades for a 1770 planter and they seemed to be of better quality than the OEM ones.

A&I has some bearings that they sell for combines that are Timken. They are much better than the Deere supplied bearings. The ones I get are for the shoe grain auger bearings on Maximizer combines. They last a lot longer, but are more expensive than the Deere bearings. 

If they are PIX belts they are total junk.  I have never in my life seen belts that stretch so bad.  I’m convinced that PIX really wanted to be a rubber band company but somehow got suborned into making V belts instead.  I believe the PIX belts I see are made in India.

• Haha 1

The dealership I worked at was in Rock Valley. Home of A & I. Around RV at one everyone and his dog had an AI account. Had a local farmer come in with a very shredded belt. He said "that's it, I want a CaseIH rotor belt" He had shelled out three 1680 rotor belts from A&I in one week. They kept warranting them. Big deal.

I also have an AI account and there are some machines they seem to hold up on. My 120 mower its worked. On my 60 stalk chopper by the second season one by one they stated letting go. My son works on lawn mowers. He quit using them. Any mower with a slip to engage such as non electric pto deck. They didnt hold up.

I’ve often wondered about them too. Rotor belts I was always told to run the oem by friends that had tried them. I don’t have any experience with any of their belts so I’m not the best judge but I have always been a bit suspicious.  I’ve used some of their other parts on our 2188 and even John Deere 4560 without issue though. 

When Ford bought new Holland, we had to go somewhere else for Claas parts. Some far-away Claas dealer honored all accounts from the Ford dealer. From then on everything was shipped direct from a regional warehouse. Parts at your door in 2 days, and the  ironic thing is, 30 years later those fat, high dollar belts are 100$ cheaper than when they went through Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy belts at local independent auto/ truck parts store.Gates belts I believe. I just think its better tobuy a quality belt because usually they take time to put on if you got to tear a bunch of stuff off to mount them.Even the easy ones I see no advantage to put a discount belt on.I am not saying A&I is junkie stuff,used plenty of A&I stuff over the years with no complaints. Just belts aren't huge expense and really a few dollars isn't worth it.