Hydro Ax

bitty

This is an auction buy we got recently and it was delivered today. Hopefully it will be semi reliable for the little bit we have plans for it. Only one tire chain, might have to bite the bullet for a new pair unless I can get a used set semi reasonable for it. Price of this was way less than a trip to the hospital or morgue . I'm wondering if it originally had safety screening for the front windows ..... 

IMG_20230807_202429208.jpg

IMG_20230807_202436403.jpg

IMG_20230807_202418689_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230807_202500544.jpg

IMG_20230807_202443423.jpg

IMG_20230807_202449337.jpg

• Like 7

I don’t think they had front protection but I can’t swear to it either. Careful cutting down big stuff as it can tip the machine. Haven’t run one but have heard stories lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I don’t think they had front protection but I can’t swear to it either. Careful cutting down big stuff as it can tip the machine. Haven’t run one but have heard stories lol. 

Hauler said he had a friend that had one and rolled it over numerous times before he was told to get rid of it. I think he was trying to cary the tree more than it's possible by the comments. I'm hoping if fairly level that you can cut and set straight down without maneuvering it around and not have as much chance of tipping it over? 

We want it for ash especially and I think I want to add something heavy to protect the front of the cab from widomakers 

IMG_20230807_192010_01.jpg

• Like 3

Any feller/buncher i have ever seen was more of an excavator platform where you  can tilt the whole Machine to compensate for side hills etc. perhaps those are common elsewhere, if your ground is reasonably flat and you are careful that will undoubtedly be an awesome machine! 

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Any feller/buncher i have ever seen was more of an excavator platform where you  can tilt the whole Machine to compensate for side hills etc. perhaps those are common elsewhere, if your ground is reasonably flat and you are careful that will undoubtedly be an awesome machine! 

I'd love one on tracks but for using it a week or two per year it's much harder to justify. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bitty said:

I'd love one on tracks but for using it a week or two per year it's much harder to justify. 

I know you will anyway, but keep it clean, with all the leaky everything and flammable byproducts and all the bolt on hard to remove access panels those things love to burn, we have had 2-3 in the last 5-6 years locally go up that I know of. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so is this for felling trees and getting up firewood?

Dropping trees down for firewood and some areas to clear cut pine or hemlock for my sawmill.  We are going to be burning wood at the farm, shop and 2 homes and have woods to get most of our needs from. Hopefully clear cut 5-10 acres per year if we get that much sawed on the mill . Grows back super thick for holding deer so some of the harvest decisions are hunting driven 

• Like 4

A friend is a third generation logger. They have run machines like that with good luck. They don't have cabs. They have full rops with caging all around.

They usually cut and drop the trees close. they can carry small pulpwood but a skidder is quicker.

• Like 1

Do you have the John Deere engine or the Cummins?

Cummins won't suffer overheating,

Regardless of engine, keep the radiator and oil cooler clean.

Run the throttle wide open, adjust ground speed with the drive.

Many people mistakenly believe they are doing the machine a favor by throttling back.

This gets you the same heat in the hydrostat system with less flow.

I have had three of these in my stable, all have been maintenance-intensive.

Get oil samples sent to the lab, look for red metals.

Purchase the 5 thousand-hour oil from Hitachi, It costs a bunch, but so do pumps and motors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Hauler said he had a friend that had one and rolled it over numerous times before he was told to get rid of it. I think he was trying to cary the tree more than it's possible by the comments. I'm hoping if fairly level that you can cut and set straight down without maneuvering it around and not have as much chance of tipping it over? 

We want it for ash especially and I think I want to add something heavy to protect the front of the cab from widomakers 

IMG_20230807_192010_01.jpg

Biggest thing I think is not to turn sharply with a heavy tree in the gathering arms. Get it swaying the wrong way and over you go. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, supermechanic said:

Do you have the John Deere engine or the Cummins?

Cummins won't suffer overheating,

Regardless of engine, keep the radiator and oil cooler clean.

Run the throttle wide open, adjust ground speed with the drive.

Many people mistakenly believe they are doing the machine a favor by throttling back.

This gets you the same heat in the hydrostat system with less flow.

I have had three of these in my stable, all have been maintenance-intensive.

Get oil samples sent to the lab, look for red metals.

Purchase the 5 thousand-hour oil from Hitachi, It costs a bunch, but so do pumps and motors.

It's the Cummins engine, I had to check as I know that the other one that sold in the sale was a Cummins 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Here you go. This is in the same general area as the 450 propane also!😁

IMG_0192.png

I wonder what power plant that has ? Be neater as a grapple skidder 

56 minutes ago, bitty said:

I wonder what power plant that has ? Be neater as a grapple skidder 

I think it said it was a 3-53 screamer

22 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I think it said it was a 3-53 screamer

I spent a whole summer screening gravel in a H-65 with a Detroit, 3-71 maybe? That was rough, I cannot imagine decades listening to that thing

Bitty, I have done a lot of work on those type cutters. They sure take a beating, so of the loggers are switching to track hoes  with a saw on the stick.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I spent a whole summer screening gravel in a H-65 with a Detroit, 3-71 maybe? That was rough, I cannot imagine decades listening to that thing

I passionately hate the screaming Detroit's...we had 4 machines with the 671 and one wheel loader just like @mader656 has with a 353? 

21 minutes ago, bitty said:

I passionately hate the screaming Detroit's...we had 4 machines with the 671 and one wheel loader just like @mader656 has with a 353? 

Michigan 175a with a 4 71

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Michigan 175a with a 4 71

Yes, been a while since it left here . Had a blower I think even but not a hair dryer