How do I get anything to grow under the shade of a life oak tree??

oleman

5 hours ago, acem said:

He couldn't talk much about what he did.

Lost track of him decades ago...

🤔 maybe he talked too much about what he did.. 

• Haha 3

i used a contractor blend of grasses that have a mix of what'll grow in shade and what'll grow in sun... i have three oaks left in the front yard out of what used to be 6-7 when i was a kid 50yrs ago.  that and a seeder rented from home depot (the SMALL one is the one to rent... the big one nearly killed my back) and i didn't water.  worked better than i thought it would.  watering is what everyone says to do and those watering stands to get the sprinkler heads up some 4-5ft to get the most range is what dad did when we reseeded the yard in about '12 (borrowed that from a friend, his being home made out of rebar).  drought killed a lot of that seeding (that was kentucky bluegrass and fescue blend).  seed store guy thought bluegrass would work better in the shade at the time.  don't know.  seems like the contractor blend has worked out better, but i've had to repeat it (probably due to lack of watering it to get a best first stand -- and i don't water regularly regardless of the weather).   that's here in bama, so not sure what works best where.  got the seed from rural king, bag saying where it was good for, and did 2x the recommendation on amount.   the seeder was one of those with the blades whirling on hinges on a shaft and a seed box to drop behind that.  the blades were like 1" apart or so, i think.  i went north and south, then east and west, then at 45 deg angle.  seemed to hide the patterns.  

i read up on zosia a lot.  had a neighbor once that got that solid in his yard and it was pretty nice.  no fire ants, no worms (so no armidillos digging for grubs), as they hate the roots and "grass" blades.  but, he had his plugged 1ft apart on corners into his existing yard.  he didn't have it under large shade trees so much tho.

story goes it takes like 3yrs to take over from 1ft seperated plugs and dominate and replace the other grasses. so, that won't help you with the HOA expectations, probably.  

everything i read said, don't dare think of doing this yourself, as it takes a crew a day to do this if they've done it a lot.  i'd love to have it, but the quotes on the cost of having it plugged ran me off.  i'd want to do at least an acre if not 1.5 or so.  

watched a home improvement show on laying sod.  they worked on drainage prior to spreading some kind of better top soil out and then put the sod down.  but, they had the crew.  some neighbor couple was here getting hay and we talked about how they met.  laying sod on a crew.  i said i hear that's hard work.  man, they went on about it a while, and they truck farm a large garden to sell to the public now.  

good luck.  

Cockleburs, button weeds, pig weed, Canadian thistles, sand burrs, beggars lice would grow well. Tell them Canadian Thistle and Buffalo Burr would be considered a native wild flower. Not only that, you could give seeds to the HOA and they all could enjoy. Creeping Jenny or Morning Glory makes a nice ground cover. Also when you get a good crop of cockle burrs and sand burrs, invite the neighbors pets over to frolic in your yard.

Well late to the party.      A buddy of mine was having trouble growing grass where he had taken out a parking area.         Called wanting some topsoil, so I loaded him 8 ton of cow manure/ rotten old hay that had basically composted into dirt behind the barn.    Man did his grass grow 😂

34 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Well late to the party.      A buddy of mine was having trouble growing grass where he had taken out a parking area.         Called wanting some topsoil, so I loaded him 8 ton of cow manure/ rotten old hay that had basically composted into dirt behind the barn.    Man did his grass grow 😂

I'm sure that that material would be perfect to regenerate this old field that they turned into lots for housing. I could use about 1 ton applied!

• Haha 1