Jump to content

Most iconic model


planejeff

Recommended Posts

When I was a kid A neighbor had a super MD TA his family bought new. Dad said it was about as fancy as it could be in it's day.

After the neighbors health got bad his criminal son sold it for scrap. He sold everything that he could haul off for scrap. His families and anyone else who left anything not behind a locked gate. No way to trace scrap. I never understood how he didn't get shot the way people are round here. Bye the time I came back he was falling apart from all the drugs, booze and abuse. Substantialy outlived his usefulness (probably from the day he was born)...

Rant mode off.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 766 Man said:

  I am expecting him to be shouted down by pro pot factions even though tobacco users are already required not to smoke at similar events. 

If I can't smoke a cigarette somewhere, then they shouldn't be able to smoke their dope. It's getting bad around here, to the point folks are walking down the street smoking joints in broad daylight. Cops won't look twice at em, even though it's illegal to use cannabis in public in Arkansas. It's a sorry shame, ifn you ask me.

3 hours ago, acem said:

I never understood how he didn't get shot the way people are round here.

He probably got shot at a time or two and (doubtfully) wised up. I guess there's one of those burnouts in every little town; the one all the old men look at and say "they oughta drowned that boy when they had the chance". Ours lives next door to me, and apparently believes that he can free range his livestock wherever he desires. 

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mike newman said:

...yes, Mac...we grew    80 acres between Dad  and myself, plus two excellent neighbours , whom used to work for Dad...and he was able to help them into their own tobacco farms

There was a lot of tobacco grown in our area...the only place in NZ where it was suitable......Three major tobacco companies , including Rothmans   were domiciled in the area......However...some brilliant luminary   in the then  Socialist Govt decided that it was cheaper to import tobacco from some third world excrement hole...thus in a very short time....dozens of small farms who employed  hundreds of folk through the season...and a fair few , full time...were history..

My travels in the very   photogenic  State of Tennessee      reminded me so much of 'home'...little farms tucked away in the hills and valleys etc

I have lots of pictures...but will leave them....in fact the Farmall  A  picture posted on this very topic , was taken on my little tobacco farm.....

All 'flue '' cured''  ...we had a 15 hp boiler  running steam through massive down draft heat exchangers...

Mike

Picture (63).jpg

Thanks for all that good information, Mike! Those photos do look at lot like Tennessee, now that you mention it. I have a little tobacco this year, a first for me. Only two plants in my back garden, and they were given me by a friend. There is an old man here who used to put up tobacco and make his own twist, I hope that he'll be able to show me how to do it this fall.

Mac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think each series had its own icon. The Regular replaced horses. H+M after that. 560, 1206, 1066. 

Grandpa went from horses to an M. Added an H and then a 460. The M was sold off. The H remains. From Grandpa to Dad and now I still own it. Most farms that had a Regular have sold them but the letter series seem to hang around. The 60 series as good as they were became outgrown on most farms that had them. Biased as I may be the 1206 being turbo charged has changed farming forever. Even a half ton pick up and your side by side gets a turbo now. Most everyone who had a 1066 still has it around here. Some neighbors had and have a handful of them. There were other icons since but they seem to hold less influence.

Depending on your farm size I think all time icon goes to the letter series. H for our farm M for some others.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, acem said:

When I was a kid A neighbor had a super MD TA his family bought new. Dad said it was about as fancy as it could be in it's day.

After the neighbors health got bad his criminal son sold it for scrap. He sold everything that he could haul off for scrap. His families and anyone else who left anything not behind a locked gate. No way to trace scrap. I never understood how he didn't get shot the way people are round here. Bye the time I came back he was falling apart from all the drugs, booze and abuse. Substantialy outlived his usefulness (probably from the day he was born)...

Rant mode off.

  I could really upset you mentioning the idiot son of the farmer the next road over who seldom spent a day sober once he turned 15.  All kinds of screw ups and foul ups and skirmish's with the law.  That guy is enjoying the fruits of his girlfriend's father's farm estate (with her for the moment) and will soon get a third of his dad's estate when his mother dies.  The old saying is true in that life is seldom fair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacAR said:

If I can't smoke a cigarette somewhere, then they shouldn't be able to smoke their dope. It's getting bad around here, to the point folks are walking down the street smoking joints in broad daylight. Cops won't look twice at em, even though it's illegal to use cannabis in public in Arkansas. It's a sorry shame, ifn you ask me.

He probably got shot at a time or two and (doubtfully) wised up. I guess there's one of those burnouts in every little town; the one all the old men look at and say "they oughta drowned that boy when they had the chance". Ours lives next door to me, and apparently believes that he can free range his livestock wherever he desires. 

Mac

  Go into the larger cities around here such as Rochester, NY.  It is said a person can pickup the smell of smoking pot a couple hundred feet or more away from where it is being consumed.  I don't recall tobacco ever being so bad and I am old enough to remember the 1970's where if you went into a restaurant disliking the smell of tobacco it was best to keep it to yourself.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Dzldenny said:

Biased as I may be the 1206 being turbo charged has changed farming forever. Even a half ton pick up and your side by side gets a turbo now. Most everyone who had a 1066 still has it around here. 

You know what else had a turbo? The Allis chalmers D-19 in 1961.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, jass1660 said:

According to studies pot smokers have better lung capacity than tobacco smokers and pot smoke is less irritating as it doesn’t have all the chemicals in it.

Who is getting paid for the study sets the tone for the results.

The only study I believe in is my own.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Who is getting paid for the study sets the tone for the results.

The only study I believe in is my own.

 

  The statistics professor I had many years ago had a saying which was liars can figure and figures can lie.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  The statistics professor I had many years ago had a saying which was liars can figure and figures can lie.  

I'm not sure how this subject came up and I'm very ashamed to have come across this. But I had "friends" in my younger days who would have to burn the "tar" out of their smoking devices and if any logical person would see what that looks like they'd think it's crazy to smoke that crap. And some of these people act like it's safer than smoking. I dont understand how they think that tar isnt getting into their lungs. Ignorance is bliss 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

I'm not sure how this subject came up and I'm very ashamed to have come across this. But I had "friends" in my younger days who would have to burn the "tar" out of their smoking devices and if any logical person would see what that looks like they'd think it's crazy to smoke that crap. And some of these people act like it's safer than smoking. I dont understand how they think that tar isnt getting into their lungs. Ignorance is bliss 

  I don't know and I probably should let the course of conversation go back to iconic IH tractors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  I don't know and I probably should let the course of conversation go back to iconic IH tractors.

By all means, I'm not criticizing that it got brought up. It just got legalized in MN so it's in the forefront of peoples minds here too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...