We were dry until….

Sledgehammer

9 hours ago, nate said:

Still withering away south of you guys.   I’m sure the faucet will turn on as soon as we get the chopper ready…

That’s what I’m wondering too, no rain for a good crop, and then the rain starts and we’ll get to mud out what little we have, and make a mess out of everything! 

9 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Yea 15 is prolly closer. Kids and I were at the pool in mora Thursday, got chased out from lightning,  turned to hail and wind quick. We made the turn onto 70 and it just stopped, Crazy.

Got chased out Friday too from lightning so we went to the fair, rained for 15 minutes.

Currently at the pool again for swimming lessons. 

Mora has be getting hammered the last 2 weeks! I bet in town they have had 4-5 inches! My brother farms some ground out by Quamba, that’s been getting flooded out all summer, and at home we are burning up, go figure?! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Sorry for the hardships. I’m sure I’ve driven really close. We had a plot east of town about 3 miles and 200yds North of 15.  Another was South of town about a mile or so on the east side of the road. We parked at that elevator/co-op and went about 1/2 mile south. Plots were for Pioneer. 

We at least still have the roof on the house,  about a mile north of us couple homes had roof totally removed,   So we are ok and able to clean up.   I did learn about acv insurance policies and that I definitely did not have enough coverage, so, had we lost the barns or machine shed it would have been catastrophic financially for us.   Lesson learned!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

I’m just south of Percy, we had a nice all night rain. Guessing (no gauge) we had about an inch. This morning going to work through Pinkneyville, water running 2-3” deep on 154. But light drizzle crossing 51.

We got a couple tenths last night here again,  nice cooler temps too!   

On 8/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, Farmall1066 said:

We’ve been dry in my part of MN as well, now in the last 7-10 days we’ve received 2.25 inches of rain, sure would have been nice to have it before the corn was wrecked 

Sorry to hear that you have been so dry.  How badly is the corn hurt?

Pretty good season rainfall wise here so far, actually wet now and corn looks very good.  My 92 day silage corn variety , which I usually plant late April for some early silage harvest, was very late planted this year in mid-June.  Then had manure spreading workload and rain delaying the rest of silage corn (115 day) planting until last two days in June (normally done first of June)  92 day is tassel and silk now,  some 115 day planted same mid-June days will be tassel in week or so, rest of 115 will be three weeks or so.  Pictures below.

PS.   My wife will be in Mora at her brother's place at Knife Lake last two weeks in August. I'll not make the trip this year. If I could have, I'd stop in and see you again.

003.JPG

006.JPG

004.JPG

On 8/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, 7and8and1456 said:

Sorry to hear that you have been so dry.  How badly is the corn hurt?

Pretty good season rainfall wise here so far, actually wet now and corn looks very good.  My 92 day silage corn variety , which I usually plant late April for some early silage harvest, was very late planted this year in mid-June.  Then had manure spreading workload and rain delaying the rest of silage corn (115 day) planting until last two days in June (normally done first of June)  92 day is tassel and silk now,  some 115 day planted same mid-June days will be tassel in week or so, rest of 115 will be three weeks or so.  Pictures below.

PS.   My wife will be in Mora at her brother's place at Knife Lake last two weeks in August. I'll not make the trip this year. If I could have, I'd stop in and see you again.

003.JPG

006.JPG

004.JPG

Hey Weldon! 
I’m not sure how bad the corn is hurt yet, but it’s not going to be pretty when it took 30 days to get a field to fully tassel, that tells me we’ll have corn in the dent stage, and dough stage at the same time.

Your corn looks great!! Water is key! All your corn goes to silage, or do you take some for grain?

Too bad you weren’t coming up with her, we are finally slowing down with the trucks.  And I could have shown you our latest addition to the shed up close!! 

IMG_7467.thumb.jpg.f8f0c44aae74350702dc368004bd8c62.jpgWe were dry until this past week.  Around 6 inches at my place over the week. Somebody north of me got extra.Second picture is one of the creeks through my place. First one is from the Grand river just outside town. Last  one is from  a creek  through the home place 20230804_204246.thumb.jpg.26f30d3f632cad11af3c4b438dbfdafa.jpg20230804_203842.thumb.jpg.9e218d8c2d72e88bbabd78b8963ef118.jpg

7 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Hey Weldon! 
I’m not sure how bad the corn is hurt yet, but it’s not going to be pretty when it took 30 days to get a field to fully tassel, that tells me we’ll have corn in the dent stage, and dough stage at the same time.

Your corn looks great!! Water is key! All your corn goes to silage, or do you take some for grain?

Too bad you weren’t coming up with her, we are finally slowing down with the trucks.  And I could have shown you our latest addition to the shed up close!! 

Have not harvested any for grain in several years. I do have this antique to harvest grain corn if need be. 😀

IMG_0033.JPG

On 8/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, WishIhada1466 said:

We went from D4 drought rating the second week of July to 12.25" of rain since the 13th of July. Just east of us had between 7-9" night before last and 4-5" last night. One extreme to the other. On a good note my pastures are growing like crazy. Should make it to November or December now before we need to feed hay. The second week of July I thought we would be feeding hay by September. Some guys already were. 

Those 7"to 9" rains your talking about ended up in our river bottoms, about 500 acres under water.

• Sad 1

We had several showers over the last 36 hrs or so. Most of it was a several hour gentle shower yest afternoon and evening. Last I looked we had 1.4 at home. Probably more after that. 

NE of Miller South Dakota got 8".

Redield South Dakota for 4.5".

We got 1 1/2" in Watertown and it disappeared like vapor.

Was a welcome rain

3.8" Saturday and another 1.5" Sunday just east of Peoria, IL.   Came slow and steady, all pretty much soaked in around here.

20230805_145743.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 8:40 AM, Sledgehammer said:

It rained pitchforks and hammer handles about all night. Water over highways and places washed out I’ve never seen. Gauge was empty yesterday morning. If the graduation is right that is about 6.25” over night. Hey @lorenzo, Got a pair of flippers I can borrow? 😊

476F5F47-D354-4479-8982-1D25BCF4DAD9.jpeg

That's interesting Todd, we only got 2.2 inches that night.  Can't be more than 25 miles as the crow flies.

6 minutes ago, 55cub said:

That's interesting Todd, we only got 2.2 inches that night.  Can't be more than 25 miles as the crow flies.

Yep. Neighbor 3/4 mile north got 4.8”. Parents in town 3 miles east got 6+. Brother lives about 8 miles north and got 2.5”.

5 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I’m afraid that’s what will happen in my area, go from dry all summer, to all our moisture in October and November when we have to try harvest our mess

Did you get any hail this afternoon?  I was at Almelund show watching radar, looked bad from your area to about Grasston.

I've Got 1 corn field north of 70 that got shredded but it's late enough now it won't hurt it. Beans 1 mile east have holes in top leaves but no pods on ground. Just north of Braham saw a shredded field of beans.

.85 total last night and today.

14 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Did you get any hail this afternoon?  I was at Almelund show watching radar, looked bad from your area to about Grasston.

I've Got 1 corn field north of 70 that got shredded but it's late enough now it won't hurt it. Beans 1 mile east have holes in top leaves but no pods on ground. Just north of Braham saw a shredded field of beans.

.85 total last night and today.

Got some pea to marble size at the farm, but north and east of us got more by the sounds of it.  My dad and brother are out scouting their fields that might have got damaged.  I heard there was a funnel spotted somewhere around Braham, and confirmed by another source by Rush City, and heard there was some ominous green sky that way too.  Got about .6 at the farm for rain