New Holland MowMax Cutterbar Shafts

Cdfarabaugh

Our H7220 Discbine religiously wastes the very inside shaft splines every 2-3 years give or take.  Further out there is one here and there that will go out too, usually can see the rotors getting an unusual amount of play between them or getting slightly out if time. 

I've always attributed this to A) the fact that the inside shaft takes a cumulative load of all the others combined and B) its a pretty acidic and rusty environment in there and dry rusty splineswill eat themselves up.  

I know they make machined cutterbar spacers to remove sag and alignment issues.....is this an normal issue with a 9'cutterbar though?   

Honestly love the machine, this is the only somewhat annoying issue with it.  Is it unique to us?  

On the mowers I have had, there is long shafts and short shafts. I have seen them get mixed up and tear the splines up in relatively short order because the area of splines touching is too small. We have used NH mowers a lot and wearing out the splines has been rare for us. Breaking the shaft has been more common than wearing them out. 

28 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

On the mowers I have had, there is long shafts and short shafts. I have seen them get mixed up and tear the splines up in relatively short order because the area of splines touching is too small. We have used NH mowers a lot and wearing out the splines has been rare for us. Breaking the shaft has been more common than wearing them out. 

On this model there is only 1 long shaft, I was sureto check that the first time.   It's usually very nasty and rusty in there and I've made a point to apply lubricant to the splines on assembly, seemed to help some with longevity.  

Should mention we have twisted them too, usually from finishing up and sucking in a wad of hay on the outside rotor accidentally, know enough now to be more careful of it .  

All the modules are still original though knock on wood.  Checking and changing the oil every year pays off.  

• Like 1