Tractor of the week. Week 30: 1566

Here's my 1566 (dont mind my 656 next to it).  Bought it in 2013 (or maybe 2012.....life was simpler then and years ran together) off a retiring farmer in Central PA.  Was really straight and unmolested,but had TA issues and severely worn shifting to the point I stuck it in 2 gears getting it on the lowboy. Paid7500 for it with a full rack of 100 lb weights and brand new Firestone 23 degree radials on the back.  In today's market I stole it.    

While I was single and had money it got a new TA, clutch, axle bearings and PTO gone through.   A lady came along and i.got pulled away from it interest wise so it sat for years just barely bolted together from the TA job.  Found a set of duals and hubs for it.  Put the hubs on cause they just look mean on there......but can't find any 20.8 tiresreasonably......so duals are just shed ornaments

Covid came and I figured it was then or never to finish it. Did all the little stuff.....shift linkages, cab interior, electrical, updating ACsystem, steering rebuild.  

Pulled it out of the garage and took my wife and 2 kids for its maiden voyage in the memorial day parade in May of '20.  Probably one of the prouder moments of my life.  

Engine is still untouched and unfortunately I think it's starting to eat a cam.  Found a loose valve on it last year, and she's getting ticky again 🥺  Hopefully funds permit to do an engine rebuild and a paint job so its completely done.  

Screenshot_20230729_211808_Facebook.jpg

• Like 10

The first 1566 with white cab sold at the dealership I worked at , came back for a burned out right brake in less than 15 hrs.   50#s of log chain against the petal didn't help.

This tractor lives 1 mile north of me . 
I have saw rolling some good coal she does it well ! 
owned  by My good friend and nieghbor’s 

Eddie and his son Chris Niederfrank and of course 4 year old Grandson loves it also 

Tony 

IMG_3217.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

I have a couple of 15’s.  The black stripe has been on the farm since 86.  Love to plow with them!

0D2446BF-516F-4CD4-AEAF-181262DF2ACC.jpeg

0747470D-055E-42F3-BFD6-563B78808D36.jpeg

How does the IH red cab compare to the Year A Round, since you have one of each on a 1566?

I ran Dad's red cab 1066 a fair amount, and put a few hours on a stout 1456 with a Hiniker.  From what I remember from 50 years ago, I think I'd take the Hiniker if I had the choice.

We had three House Cabs around here; two red ones on 10's and a white one on a 14. Steps, grab handles, and doors on the red version were "tinny" by comparison and the cab was much louder as a result of the cheaper door construction. Narrowing the step grip area seemed insane to me at the time and the doors would rattle at the top during operation. The deletion of the lower door window was mostly inconsequential for visibility and I never used a micrometer but there was less steel in the frame.

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

How does the IH red cab compare to the Year A Round, since you have one of each on a 1566?

I ran Dad's red cab 1066 a fair amount, and put a few hours on a stout 1456 with a Hiniker.  From what I remember from 50 years ago, I think I'd take the Hiniker if I had the choice.

The black stripe cab has working A/C so that is pretty nice.  It is slightly quieter than the YAR.  I think the factory cabs seal up better around the dash/cowl area.  The YAR had nice interior and floor mat so it’s ok.  Heat works good.  I prefer the IH cab.

• Like 1