Swap 466 into 3688

galaxieman

I have a 3688 with the 436 engine that needs rebuilt. I have a excellent 466 here in a 1480 combine. I am wondering if anyone has ever did that swap before and what all would be different.  Thank you for any help. 
sorry for mistake on engine earlier.  

Edited by galaxieman
  • Confused 1

I believe you're mixing your metaphors, so to speak. First, 354 is not an IH engine model. Second, a 3688 was not equipped with an engine anywhere near that size.

So we need to know what you are working with here because there are two VERY different answers to your question depending on the corrected information. Maybe more.

I mean, if someone crowbarred a Perkins 6-354 engine into your 3688, you're going to need a LOT of parts.

Same goes if you have a 3088 or 3288 with the D-358, or someone swapped a D-358 into your 3688. You will need a LOT of parts.

If you have a stock 3688 with the stock D-436 engine in it, you have all the parts you need to install the combine engine. Simply put the two engines side by side and look at them. Take anything off the combine engine that doesn't look like what's on the tractor engine. Transfer everything you identified from the tractor engine to the combine engine. Install the combine engine.

The easiest way to go about it is to remove the intake and exhaust from the combine engine and install the one from the 3688 engine. Also take the injection pump and injectors from the tractor engine and install on the combine engine. Make it into a D-466.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wisconsin Ron said:

A D466 in a 3688 should be pretty easily done. I think 3488s run a d466. A dt466 from combine be a little trickier I imagine cooling and exhaust wise. Didn't some combines run a dti466? Would that complicate things further?

The 3488 has a D466. I have a friend who installed a hair dryer on his using spare DT parts. It makes 180 hp as currently configured and I recommended he not try to use all the available ponies but rather just enjoy the show as if it was turning the stock 112 hp.

1 hour ago, Drysleeves said:

The 3488 has a D466. I have a friend who installed a hair dryer on his using spare DT parts. It makes 180 hp as currently configured and I recommended he not try to use all the available ponies but rather just enjoy the show as if it was turning the stock 112 hp.

Let’er buck on a pull type chopper  . . . 

• Like 1

What is it with everyone wanting to jury rigg a totally different engine into something they are working on ? 

10 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

What is it with everyone wanting to jury rigg a totally different engine into something they are working on ? 

Depending on the OP's answers, assuming they follow up, it's NOT a "totally different engine." A rattle can of flat black paint and handful of dirt, and you would not be able to tell the difference between a 3688's original engine and the engine out of a 1480 combine from 5' away.

8 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Depending on the OP's answers, assuming they follow up, it's NOT a "totally different engine." A rattle can of flat black paint and handful of dirt, and you would not be able to tell the difference between a 3688's original engine and the engine out of a 1480 combine from 5' away.

except for lots of parts swapping that in itself can be a pain in the butt

Oil pan is different injector pump , No bell housing on  a combine engine possible exhaust manifold and turbo too

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Oil pan is different injector pump , No bell housing on  a combine engine possible exhaust manifold and turbo too

Oil pan yes, pump doesn't have to be changed but should. There's no bell housing on ANY IH motor so nothing to change. exhaust manifold and turbo are 1 unit, it's 12 bolts.....