question 350 farmall air filter

pt756

Hello again, 350 has an oil bath air cleaner, so does our ford 5600, do they ever have to be replaced? what about cleaning?? this one has a dent in it, found a used one , how can you tell if it is good or not, after it got overhauled I did replace the ford a few years ago, thanks

If serviced regularly they do a good job of cleaning themselves. It is when oil gets just a little low or diluted with water that the mesh gets plugged up. Removing precleaner or cap when serviceing oil cup and wiping out center tube is a good idea

• Like 1

It's all covered in the owners manual I believe. 

I think dad said when they were running an m as the main tractor they would dump the oil in the cup and replace it every or every other tank full of gas when doing spring and fall work. 

54 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

It's all covered in the owners manual I believe. 

I think dad said when they were running an m as the main tractor they would dump the oil in the cup and replace it every or every other tank full of gas when doing spring and fall work. 

That would be every day , if your working hard

never that often -- running a mounted picker, I could run 3 tanks of fuel in a day

They can get a lot of dirt packed into the bottom of that cup.

Dump it out, scrape it out, wash it out and then put new engine oil in the cup up to the line.

Any engine oil will work. What you use in the engine usually.

1 hour ago, HydroTek said:

That would be every day , if your working hard

never that often -- running a mounted picker, I could run 3 tanks of fuel in a day

Ya seems like a lot. Was thinking he also said something about using used oil in the cup. Which I would think would be exactly what you WOULDN'T want to do. But that was a long time ago dad told me this so I may be recalling wrong.

The book says change the air cleaner oil every ten hours; that's basically every day. I usually do mine at every oil change (80 - 100 hours or once a year, whichever comes first). I've been using 15-40wt Rotella in the engine and air cleaner cup. Also a good time to blow the radiator out and check the hydraulic and transmission oil. Every couple-three years, if I can remember, I'll take the air cleaner body out from under the hood, wash the "guts" out good with kerosene, and re-install it. It works good for me, ymmv of course. 

Mac

When I was running the pull type MM combine years ago, I changed oil and cleaned the cup every day and it needed it too.

DWF

• Like 1

I remember one Saturday morning in 1964 when it was warm enough for "MY" John Deere R to start, we warmed it up to change the engine oil & filter, maybe put on a new fuel filter too. Dad pulled the oil cup off the bottom of the oil bath air cleaner, the oil didn't look that dirty, but the layer of dirt settled out of the oil was between a half inch and 3/4" thick. Whoever owned it before us sure didn't service it much. I had a heck of a time getting that layer of dirt out of the cup.  Dad ran the R over to His Deere dealer 20 miles away, a 2 hour trip, and 2 hours home at 11 mph, and it was still a gutless wonder after the tune-up.

DONALDSON makes a great line of two stage dry pleated paper air filters, my 27 hp Kawasaki engine on my Zero turn has one, seen them on most 2 cylinder V-twins, they are made from injection molded glass fiber reinforced plastic, easy to replace the primary filter about every other year, and the service manager said about next year I can replace both primary and secondary, the mower will be in it's 11th year, it will have around 320-325 hours then.  I've found a company on-line, Diesel Equipment, that sells the entire line, I want to replace the oil bath air cleaner on my Super H & M with them. No more oily mess, replace the primary filter every 10-20 years, I only put about 5 operating hours on the SH a year pushing snow, I only run the M about a half hour every 5 years. 

I guess I did get lucky 15 years ago, my 7-1/2 HP Porter-Cable air compressor uses the exact same air filter element for the compressor as my two Kohler powered Cub Cadet's use, I always have filters for them around. I found the foam filter wrap Kohler includes for them increases their life about Double.