Boy scouts camping.

acem

Our boy scout troop is camping in the mountains this week. I'm not camping with them but did go up today and help them with their cooking merit badge. 

Sorry I forget to get pics of the food. We made chicken Verde enchiladas and blueberry cobbler in the dutch ovens. It was great and they learned a lot.

Here's a pic I took of the mountains from camp.

PXL_20230717_205437153.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, acem said:

They are camping at our friends place where they have the crawfish boil in the spring.

I still remember when I did my cooking merit badge. Would have been 72-73 at a campsite in the Shenandoah mountains. Put a potato in tin foil in the coals of the fire and grilled a hamburger on a forked stick. The potato was raw inside and the burger burnt to a crisp, but you had to eat it to pass..............

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I spent a lot of time teaching merit badges and setting up camp as a leader.   It was fun and the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids.........but I am also glad I passed the torch 😀 

• Like 1

Still going strong.

The boy scouts have suffered from many lawsuits about sexual abuse (in the past) and various forms of discrimination to LGBTQ groups.

I'm not aware of any youth that has ever been sexually abused by an adult in my many years as a youth and adult. I think it's overblown but I'm sure it happened to someone. At this point it's just a lawyer chase...

Lawsuit by LGBTQ groups have changed various boy scout policies prohibiting gay men from joining as adults. This caused the LDS church to leave boy scouts.

The boy scout national organization had insurance policies to cover lawsuits. Of course they found reasons not to pay and left the boy scouts high and dry. 

Due to the lawsuits, membership dues have gone up significantly and membership is down.

I still help out but I'm not a scoutmaster. It's alot easier when it's not your kids!

• Like 2

I played a lot of different sports growing up but scouting was the most practical useful thing I participated in for life

• Like 1

For a kid like me growing up without a father in the early 70's, the Boy Scouts was absolutely the best thing that could have happened to me. We had an Army Colonel, a Jeep dealership owner, A bell telephone executive and several other great men as leadership. In addition to the woodcraft skills, I learned about patience, dedication, teamwork, and sticking with something until it was finished. That those memories have stuck with me for 50 years is testament to how powerful an experience it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After a good supper the boys cooked. Chicken & rice and chocolate Brownies both cooked in dutch ovens.

The only problem is it's too hot to be around the fire.

Luckily it's 10 degrees cooler up here but it was still in the low 90s.

PXL_20230720_004205114.jpg

Dutch oven cooking, good skills right there. My scouting experience was brief and lackluster, if we had an active troop here locally I would happily volunteer. 

I wanted to join Boy Scouts. But dad said what can you do there, that you can’t do here.        

I thought about it , came up with a long list.     Decided to keep my thoughts to myself lol.   
 Iam satisfied with how I turned out 

• Haha 2

I went Cub and Scout camping decades ago. Was good times. 

Tommorow I am taking my Grandson camping for a few days. Been planning since late winter but couldn't get away sooner. He ask this morning, " how long Papa"? I told him till we run out of food or you get bored. 

We are going to wilderness camp in the West Block of the Cypress Hills. My son is a bit concerned about my little dog attracting Cougars and not 40 year old ones. 

Then in 10 days we will head out to NE Saskatchewan for August long weekend. 

Beautiful area, remember going there when I was not much older than he is now, I'm sure the modern cougars are way more plentiful and dangerous, wishing you both a great and mamorable trip 😉

• Thanks 1