It's a varmints nightmare!

DT Fan

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Darn ground hog living in my barn again. And mom spotted one around her buildings. 

I have trapped three of them here at the farm, have not seen any for some time now. A live trap baited with an apple works pretty good. If they are in a hole, connibear is hard to beat.

• Like 1

Evidently a day at the Stock Tank Spa was more than this big guy could handle.🥺

Really out in the middle of nowhere.

No buildings, trees or lady rats🥰 in sight 

Don't know how he got clear out there but the trip must have made him thirsty🥵

IMG_20230725_091437897.thumb.jpg.3d552f030f0edf30d1b0f12bf6c5bbe6.jpg

Hope Peta don't find out, they'd probably make me install a diving board and paddle boat🙄

• Haha 4

Set the live trap with a green apple from the yellow apple tree. About walked into a groundhog by the hen house last nite. I see a pile of fresh dirt under it. 😡

7 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Beautiful Sunday morning here, two more dead chipmunks. How many of these things have invaded me? At about 15 feet those 30 grain hollow points in the .22 mag. are devastating!

....so ..it sort of different   to deer hunting for example ???...no trophy's....no packing meat home ??.....no large bore centre fires    so you don't have to pack a wheel barrow full of ordinance  along with your camo gear /  tree stand  etc ???

,,,sounds like fun...:)...sounds like the sort of ''hunting''an old bloke would like....!!!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently my ground hog doesn't like apples! Put some very ripe apricots in trap tonight.  Will see what happens.

Of course I saw him yesterday when I stepped out on the deck with no varmint extermination device in my hands! Went back in and came out and he was gone. 😔

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Apparently my ground hog doesn't like apples! Put some very ripe apricots in trap tonight.  Will see what happens.

Of course I saw him yesterday when I stepped out on the deck with no varmint extermination device in my hands! Went back in and came out and he was gone. 😔

4pm give or take 15 min seems to be the time here. I have killed lots of groundhogs in that time window. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree on 4 pm......fruit or sweet corn seems to work.   Man do they get pissed in a live trap.....clack their teeth together to try and scare you off......its OK Mr. Gopher, this long hollow metal tube with the wood stick attached to it will make all your worries go away 🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sitting at the table, minding my own business this morning I see a raccoon come trotting out of the sweetcorn! Run in the other room and grab the gun, he's gone. No wait, he's over there! First shot missed, then he turned, went behind a wood-pile, popped out closer. Got him with the second shot, loping along at about 50 yds. One less sweetcorn thief in the world now!

• Like 6

Life doesn't get much better, great tractor show on the weekend and popping a bandit while having breakfast at the table the next morning 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The nightmare continues. Today's victim, a 13 lie ground squirrel, aka, squinney! I think he's the one that has been chewing the crap out of the lattice around the deck. There is another one out by the new shed that's on my list. Shot at him once, pretty sure I missed though.

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty slow on the varmint front lately, must have them under control for the most part. However, spotted another chipmunk yesterday. Went on patrol this morning  and shot one. May be another one, will have to keep looking.

• Like 1

My toy .17 has a threads in the long end of metal tube thing. I see some pictures here where you guys have what appear to be cylindrical things attached to yours. I asssume these are like bumper weights, and add safety.   But I’m in NY, so I really wouldn’t know.     I’d read a message, if somebody wanted to direct me as to where I could buy one of those.  Thanks 
1/2-28?

Today, headed to the shop to get the Dodge out for today's project, what do I see? A furry little guy that looks like the one in Doug's trap! I eased back in the house and got the .22 mag., did seem him again but just for an instant. Figured I knew where he's living, yep. Somebody's been using that hole in the ground! Went and got a trap, pretty sure it will be a long while before I can get a shot at him with some sort of rifle. The .300 Weatherby Mag. would be fun but wouldn't pass a shot with anything I might have handy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

The .300 Weatherby Mag. would be fun

Overkill is underrated, after all. 

Groundhogs are a lot of fun with a .222; a .243 makes for a pretty fine show  too. But a 30-06 is rather the epitome of "splat!" in my experience. Just don't use it in a place where you'll have to clean up the mess. 

Mac

• Haha 3