Dinner ride

Lazy WP

We took my mom in law out for her birthday. She’s never ridden a train and had planned on going back to New Jersey this summer but AMTRAC jerked her schedule around and she didn’t go. 
There is a 12 mile dinner train ride. Excellent food and the steam engine was fun. But can you imagine what kind of trouble you would be in if you were actually making a living with all that black smoke going up? 
obviously entertainment doesn’t count for environmental issues 

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

• Like 13

Very cool Nick!

If I was closer, I would take my bride, that is a wonderful bd present.

When I was not very old, folks am me took the train from Omaha to Denver, think he had some schooling to attend.

Wish I could remember more than just snippets of the experience.

And I know what a few of you are thinking

It was pulled by diesel engines not steam loco's

I'm not that old🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sure, that's what they all say!

Grandpa Mershon worked for southern Pacific. Retired as a conductor in the 50s. His career was almost entirely with steam engines.

The problem with steam engines was keeping them watered and the high maintenance. 

There are still some commercial steam engines running in China and other countries, mostly on short runs in industrial areas. China built steam engines up until around 2000.

• Like 1

Trains are fun to ride. I rode an old train as a child for 15 miles or so to the next town over.  A few years ago I got the chance to ride a modern train home from Chicago and the train ride was enjoyable. 

• Like 2

I’ve always wanted to ride Amtrak. I looked at taking the family to the west coast via Amtrak but it was surprisingly expensive. 

I’ve always been a rail fan and had a model railroad when younger so my parents took me on the Durango and Silverton when I was a kid on family vacation. Also ridden on the somewhat local Boone and Scenic Valley railroad several times.

Very nice gift for your Mother in law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

There is a 12 mile dinner train ride. Excellent food and the steam engine was fun

Cool gift, is that in Brookville . What is the short line called?  We rode Amtrak to New Orleans 33 years ago for our honeymoon, it cost more than airfare. 

1 hour ago, just Dave said:

Cool gift, is that in Brookville . What is the short line called?  We rode Amtrak to New Orleans 33 years ago for our honeymoon, it cost more than airfare. 

It is at Abilene. The Abilene and SmokyValley railroad. Only operating steam locomotive in Kansas. Right next to the Eisenhower library. 
I rode the train from North Platte to Denver back in the late 60s. I’m sure I wasn’t but maybe 6. Tracks were washed out and we got rerouted to Cheyenne. Should have been a 6 hour ride turned into 18 hours.  

There was a steamer over in Baldwin that some people were trying to get running some years back. We ran across it many years back, so I stopped and talked a bit. I volunteered to help with needed machining and such but the project lost its steam. I used to pass that way when my M in L was living. Last I saw it was sitting there aging.

Boone and Scenic in IA is a fun ride,  so is the steam train out of NC near Gatlinburg TN.  Have always wanted to do the Silverton......if anything to see how accurate CW McCall's song is 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Plow said:

Boone and Scenic in IA is a fun ride,  so is the steam train out of NC near Gatlinburg TN.  Have always wanted to do the Silverton......if anything to see how accurate CW McCall's song is 🤣

Just don’t let the cherry fall off your cigar and burn your leg 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Just don’t let the cherry fall off your cigar and burn your leg 😁

"Sorta lit him right on fire.........."

Best line of Wolf Creek Pass......"Chromium plated fully aluminiated genuine accessory shift knob fell right off in his hand...........I said, you wanna screw that back on there Earl?"

• Haha 5

We did the Durango to Silverton a few years ago. Due to covid and a fire the year before it was only a partial run, but still very neat. Have also done the Boone ride when the kids were small..there is also train rides in Branson, dinner train ect. Diesel and air conditioning cars iirc.

For all that want a AMTRACK ride I would give a C+ grade depending.  They are not what I call fast. About 200 mile from the central coast of Calif to LA . A car would of been faster. The train is very low stress compared to LA bumper to bumper though. Did it 2 maybe 3 times. Every time a hour or 2 of delays for something. I guess not the Amtracks fault people dump garbage of one kind and another on the track. But on heavily traveled track Amtrack has to pull off and let freight go first they own the track not Amtrack.

One the part I traveled you do see coastline there is no other way to see. You go through the Vandenberg Space port on Point Conception coastline.

• Like 2

Here in Duluth we have the North Shore Senic railroad that runs to Two Harbors along the shore of Lake Superior. It operates several days a week mostly diesels , but certain days with steam. Pizza train on Thursdays and mystery trains a few times a season. A very interesting depot with a large collection of railroad things.

3 hours ago, augercreek said:

Here in Duluth we have the North Shore Senic railroad that runs to Two Harbors along the shore of Lake Superior. It operates several days a week mostly diesels , but certain days with steam. Pizza train on Thursdays and mystery trains a few times a season. A very interesting depot with a large collection of railroad things.

Have not ridden the train in Duluth.  But had a rainy day while there on vacation so spent some time in the depot/museum with my son.  I thought it was very interesting.

Just now, IH Forever said:

Have not ridden the train in Duluth.  But had a rainy day while there on vacation so spent some time in the depot/museum with my son.  I thought it was very interesting.

Added this picture, didn’t realize that was 7 years ago already. He’s grown up a lot since this picture.

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Like 5

There is or was a pretty good train museum in downtown Omaha.  Mostly smaller historical equipment related to the train industry but we're a few cars or parts of cars set up inside, gave a lot of history. We thought it was neat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

There is or was a pretty good train museum in downtown Omaha.  Mostly smaller historical equipment related to the train industry but we're a few cars or parts of cars set up inside, gave a lot of history. We thought it was neat.

Many years ago the company I worked for had sales kick-off meetings at the Embassy Suites in downtown Omaha.  I wasn't a salesman so all I really had to do was drive the truck and trailer to haul the literature and other supplies for the meeting and then meet and greet with local dealers.  So in my down time I went to that museum.  I agree it was very nice.  Is it actually owned by the Union Pacific?  Very much focused on them obviously since they have had a big presence in Omaha.

44 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Many years ago the company I worked for had sales kick-off meetings at the Embassy Suites in downtown Omaha.  I wasn't a salesman so all I really had to do was drive the truck and trailer to haul the literature and other supplies for the meeting and then meet and greet with local dealers.  So in my down time I went to that museum.  I agree it was very nice.  Is it actually owned by the Union Pacific?  Very much focused on them obviously since they have had a big presence in Omaha.

I think you maybe right on the owner.

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

There's a massive train museum outside of Chicago, too. I power walked the whole day, just to try to take it all in.

• Thanks 1