Honey I shrunk the engine!

vtfireman85

Lady on our FD just got a brand new F150, 2.7 l she said. Twin turbo with a 7500 lb tow rating. Yikes, that thing must be wound tighter than an 8 day clock! 

• Haha 1

Son just bought a '17 fusion with a twin turbo 2.7. It's everybit as powerful if not more so at the same rpms as the 3.5 Sho I drive and got 30 mpg driving it back from GA where he found it. 

How it would work out in a pick up I don't know obviously,  but the turbo loaded up at mid rpms seems to be very torquey to me. In fact I avoid higher rpms as I think mine makes more power in lower to mid range rpms.

They brought out the 2.7 eco boost in ‘15 with the aluminum trucks. It impresses the heck out of reviewers. It’s what I wanted for my wife’s truck, but we found a 3.5 that checked all the boxes first. The old saying is that nothing replaces cubic inches, but boost will!

7 hours ago, ray54 said:

😉 Must have an extra battery to buzz the squirrels to go faster.😄

The Ram 1500 trucks are doing that even with the Hemi V8. 
81D73A3E-3B6F-45FE-9614-69F38470C670.thumb.jpeg.9de6352a3e9856960ba8365bdfa71c05.jpeg

And GM also has a small turbo 2.7L as their base model engine in the 1500 series trucks 

7317D7B6-B221-4DFF-B883-B3D77E6289F4.thumb.jpeg.ec24086bf15dc5c64fcb581de796ffb1.jpeg

Fwiw...

Locally the 2.7 turbo GM pickups have been well received.  Dozens around.  Low 30s mpg and 300hp(a 88 to 98 350 was 210 to 240 iirc)  The guys I know say you can only tell when a trailer on one.  Then you know she is only 2.7.  All I know of are the "Custom" model which is a scotsdale for those of us over 40.  Work trucks, salesmen, field men type guys.

That little ecoboost is pretty popular.  I had a 3.5, all the dealers here say they sell far more 2.7 F150’s than they do 3.5’s.  I know they don’t order any 3.5’s for the lot.  I know 4-5 guys with 2.7 crew cabs that they drive as cars. They like really like them 

I imagine corporate is pushing the smaller engine to make gov economy and emissions numbers.

I know a guy that had a 3.5 eco F150 new. He liked it. But he wasn't pulling trailers a lot then and he trades every 4 or 5 years. He went back to 3/4 ton his last few trucks and currently has a new Chevy. He has ford Chevy and Dodge all in the last 10 years. Don't think he was really unhappy with any of them. Tho the Dodge was a diesel I believe. Sorry off topic on the eco but new vehicle related.

The potential problems I see are, we are asking smaller and smaller engines to do more by adding forced air to the cylinders...I know tractors have been doing it for eons but are the car makers engineering them well enough to hold up long term. Some of the eco boost 4 cylinders have oil consumption issues by 70,000 ish miles? At least have been hearing something to that affect. 

• Like 2

Pretty incredible numbers out of those little mills but I always like to look at a dyno sheet where that power and torque are occurring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

are the car makers engineering them well enough to hold up long term

Is ANYTHING engineered for the long term anymore?

Most likely engineered for the term of the warranty, plus 5 miles.:angry:

Mike

• Like 3

3.5L makes power under 4000 rpm, mostly between 2,500 and 3,000.   5.0L needs to wrap up to 5,000 rpm to make equal power.

They do "grunt" as said above.  Like a big giant playing with a toy car.....one great big shove.....

35 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Pretty incredible numbers out of those little mills but I always like to look at a dyno sheet where that power and torque are occurring 

crazy torque but I wondered the same thing about the range of torque, with the 8 speed it should work well though

43 minutes ago, hardtail said:

6 minutes ago, hillman said:

crazy torque but I wondered the same thing about the range of torque, with the 8 speed it should work well though

Torque curve is flat 

1C253262-6264-4E90-95D5-4CA8CB05D748.thumb.jpeg.4aaafbc77ae44e2f1c99f9bfdaf16c82.jpeg

We have dozens of Ford Eco F150s at work. They are salesman trucks so they don't generally tow much, but they get flogged pretty hard in daily driving. Not seeing many problems on the older ones, we keep them through 200k+ miles.

I think they're pretty impressive, even that 2.7 GM 4 cylinder has HP and torque specs pretty equivalent to an early 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.

On longevity, in the normal life of a 1/2 ton pickup, how often do they pull a heavy trailer? Or even drive around with a full load in the box? Point being, they spend very little time being worked to full potential. I'm sure if you put one of those 3.5l Eco's in a F350 and stayed hooked to a skidsteer trailer, working it constantly, it wouldn't have nearly the life expectancy. 

• Like 1

On my 3/4 ton one direction on 95% of its use one way every time

Almost every V8's torque and hp crossing points occur at 5300 rpm, these are happening lower, impressive out of the hole but this may be due to small displacement, transmission ratios probably makeup any shortcomings 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

3.5L makes power under 4000 rpm, mostly between 2,500 and 3,000.   5.0L needs to wrap up to 5,000 rpm to make equal power.

They do "grunt" as said above.  Like a big giant playing with a toy car.....one great big shove.....

I think that's the turbo portion that's making that happen as it's opposite to physics, if the 5L was boosted you'd see a whole different picture 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hardtail said:

On my 3/4 ton one direction on 95% of its use one way every time

Almost every V8's torque and hp crossing points occur at 5300 rpm, these are happening lower, impressive out of the hole but this may be due to small displacement, transmission ratios probably makeup any shortcomings 

Torque and HP a always equal at 5252 RPM. It’s math. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15347872/horsepower-vs-torque-whats-the-difference/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

We have dozens of Ford Eco F150s at work. They are salesman trucks so they don't generally tow much, but they get flogged pretty hard in daily driving. Not seeing many problems on the older ones, we keep them through 200k+ miles.

I think they're pretty impressive, even that 2.7 GM 4 cylinder has HP and torque specs pretty equivalent to an early 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.

On longevity, in the normal life of a 1/2 ton pickup, how often do they pull a heavy trailer? Or even drive around with a full load in the box? Point being, they spend very little time being worked to full potential. I'm sure if you put one of those 3.5l Eco's in a F350 and stayed hooked to a skidsteer trailer, working it constantly, it wouldn't have nearly the life expectancy. 

I keep arguing this exact point, they have a duty cycle, and seem ideal for the daily commuter and weekend hauler. Utility/service bodies are the hardest things on a truck IMO, or perhaps I should say that I think trucks with them have the hardest life. They are freighted everyday, everywhere they go, a friend’s construction company has several 550 dump trucks and 2 550 Utility trucks, the utilities are decidedly more tired at the end of their life than the dumps, even without plowing and sanding. 

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

I think that's the turbo portion that's making that happen as it's opposite to physics, if the 5L was boosted you'd see a whole different picture 

Totally agree.  Having owned both motors in F150s, you flogged the naturally aspirated 5.0 a lot more to get the same power.  Waste gated turbo is getting the torque early.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I was the first in my group of buddies  to buy the 3.5,  three other guys had to have a “v8” and all ordered the 5.0.  
two of those three now have 3.5’s, the other bought a SD 7.3 Godzilla….and he hates it.  11.5 mpg driven as a car 

I was that guy, then I got a 3.5......not going back .....ideal for my mixed usage. 

• Like 1