New Old Gehl Video With Lots of Green?? Power

I think by the time this video came about, IH had already gone udders-up. So, a majority of the tractors are JD in this one, with one AC 8070(?) & a 5x88 with MFWD. The JD R & Gehl FH80 in the beginning must have made quite the noise out in the field. Also my favorite scene in the video. Not so much for the R as the chopper. For Green tractors, my pick from the vid would be the 8840.

Another thing that's great about this video is all the shiny, new equipment I recall seeing at work seemingly everywhere. Most of which has been all used up by now.

Enjoy!!

Mike

• Like 5

Great video. It looks like simpler times, but a lot of farmers were living their worst nightmare back then. I haven’t seen a piece of Gehl farm equipment working in a long time. That Deere is definitely a “50” series with the exhaust on the side. Either 8650 or 8450 because it’s not a V8. I don’t know of a single person in this area that bought a new 50 series Deere 4wd. The guys that weren’t going broke just weren’t spending money on big ticket items like that. But, there weren’t many who could have used that kind of power here back then either. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 5088 said:

Interesting video.  My Uncles had alot of those products when they were farming.  Also can't tell you the last time I saw any of those products in use anywhere anymore.

There's only a handful of the newest of Gehl choppers still at work around here. There's still a Gehl chopper box to be found hiding here & there. Far more than the choppers.

Was Fox popular in your area?

Mike

4 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I think by the time this video came about, IH had already gone udders-up. So, a majority of the tractors are JD in this one, with one AC 8070(?) & a 5x88 with MFWD. The JD R & Gehl FH80 in the beginning must have made quite the noise out in the field. 

How about sitting next to the engine?????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Great video. It looks like simpler times, but a lot of farmers were living their worst nightmare back then. I haven’t seen a piece of Gehl farm equipment working in a long time. That Deere is definitely a “50” series with the exhaust on the side. Either 8650 or 8450 because it’s not a V8. I don’t know of a single person in this area that bought a new 50 series Deere 4wd. The guys that weren’t going broke just weren’t spending money on big ticket items like that. But, there weren’t many who could have used that kind of power here back then either. 

50 series here were just as common here as the 30 and 40 series.  Course that had a lot to do with the 8850 adding a third model to the lineup.   

• Like 1

Auto max and the reverser is a nightmare once it gets used,moisture, haylage, dust. The reverser is magnetized.When it works it works, when not it doesn't. My ex Gehl dealer buddy even says that.They took something simple to accomplish (feed rolls reversal)and made it a pain in the butt nightmare.

38 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Auto max and the reverser is a nightmare once it gets used,moisture, haylage, dust. The reverser is magnetized.When it works it works, when not it doesn't. My ex Gehl dealer buddy even says that.They took something simple to accomplish (feed rolls reversal)and made it a pain in the butt nightmare.

I was working for Gehl dealer when the Auto-Max system came out, had to adjust all the little limit switches during set-up. Remember Gehl service rep. came into dealership after hours to train us on them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

There's only a handful of the newest of Gehl choppers still at work around here. There's still a Gehl chopper box to be found hiding here & there. Far more than the choppers.

Was Fox popular in your area?

Mike

Only 1 Fox that I'm aware of and that was 35 years ago.

My Uncles had the silo blower, a few of the wagons, and 2 choppers (1st I thought was an 800, but its been so long I don't know if that's even a model # anymore) and the last one was a 1060.  It didn't have the add on options shown in the video, it did work good though.  They had Gehl mix mills too.

I might even have a brochure for the 1060/1260 series socked away somewhere.  Our old IH/CIH and Deere dealers both carried Gehl.

• Like 1

We are running 2 Gehl units

single row chopper [might be a 600]

forage blower with a 10' auger feed and power supply to unload wagons

the blower came with a flat belt power supply 

changed it over to PTO shaft drive

looking for replacement knives for the chopper [have 2 bad ones]

both work great for their age

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

How about sitting next to the engine?????

That's one of my favorite YT videos! Thanks for posting it.

I've been around the SP80 at the tractor show & that Continental is rather loud just moving it around the grounds. Hope to get it doing something at the show this fall. If not chopping corn, maybe put a hay head on it & chop some of the threshed straw. IF there is anything to thresh this year. Haven't checked on the status of the oat bundles yet. Might not be many with the drought.

Mike

4 hours ago, Jacka said:

I'm unfamiliar with the Auto max issues & will have to check into that. There were a lot of them around here & someone must know something about it.

Always interesting what you find after the fact.

Mike

I run an old gehl baler. Simple and reliable but slow. Never was much gehl equipment round here. No dealer.

There were very few 50 series JD tractors sold down here. Crop farmers were broke back then. Lots of 20, 30 and 40 JD tractors of all sizes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike H said:

We are running 2 Gehl units

single row chopper [might be a 600]

forage blower with a 10' auger feed and power supply to unload wagons

the blower came with a flat belt power supply 

changed it over to PTO shaft drive

looking for replacement knives for the chopper [have 2 bad ones]

both work great for their age

Do you have the hydraulic sharpener on the 600? Those are a different knife & harder to come by The standard ones are still available.

Mike

manual sharpener 

the cutter knives actually blow/throw  the chop into the wagon

no blower on the chopper

I had a old Gehl300 that was my first chopper of my own.It was cut and throw,no blower.It did okay single row corn head, 5ft pickup.Took me FOREVER to chop 30 acres of corn between milking by myself. It was very basic but very simple too and was good for what it was.

• Thanks 1

thank you for ID the chopper Jacka

the only tag I found was on the Hay head [A 300]

now to find Knives for it

16 minutes ago, Mike H said:

thank you for ID the chopper Jacka

the only tag I found was on the Hay head [A 300]

now to find Knives for it

The CT300 takes a 042709 knife or you can get the 042783 which is a set of three. The Parts Depot has both. You may find other options in a search.

Mike

• Thanks 1