The deer are herding up

acem

This time of year the deer round here tend to herd up into groups. I've seen as many as two dozen in a bean field. Mostly does, rarely a buck in the groups.

Here's some in a neighbors field yesterday.

PXL_20230711_001953611.jpg

PXL_20230711_002000359~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have been seeing a bachelor group of buck once in a while and last night I saw a nice one in the group. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, acem said:

They're easy to give away round here.

If you don't know anyone who wants it there is also a charity that takes them to feeds people.

https://www.arkansashunters.org/

Missouri has a share the harvest program as well. We also have chronic waste disease in our herds of whitetail. Right now you just say how many tags you want and they produce them free of charge if your in a cwd area. You can donate all the meat but you still have to field dress and hang them, the conservation will come out and take them after that. I think their season actually just ended before it got hot. 

That's a similar program to ours. We have to field dress and skin em. Then we deliver them to a participating processor. 

I'm not sure about out of season though.

It's easy to get a predation permit out of season.

Years ago i built a walk-in freezer for the Nebraska Game and Parks. Its actually on the same campus as the Tractor testing Lab.  Its used for a couple different things. One purpose is so they can store illegally shot animals pending court cases. They also at that time stored ( Some) road kill deer.  Not sure if this is still what they are doing BUT, ( Some) of the meat was given to the local Zoo and fed to the Lions.  DONT QUOTE ME, im not up to date if they are still doing this or not. 
Perhaps you could inquire if your local Zoo would be able to receive some deer meat.  

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Thick as flys around here. Finally allowing farmers to thin em out. I need to shoot about 50 but not sure if i have time to bury em.

why bury them...just do like the counties and state does here, let them rot on the side of the road with the vultures picking at the carcass 

Just took this one off the back patio as I was reading this. Usually does out there every evening but rarely bucks. 2 good size bucks out there with 2 does tonight. 

IMG_9195.jpeg

• Like 4

Probably 25 yards from me in the mum patch last night.  I was on the phone looking down at the mums and didn't see them until I was that close.  They never fled.  Not herding up here but seeing deer all over the place daily.

20230705_205225.jpg

26 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Just took this one off the back patio as I was reading this. Usually does out there every evening but rarely bucks. 2 good size bucks out there with 2 does tonight. 

IMG_9195.jpeg

Nice beans.  Better than anything locally at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Bean destroyers!!!

Everything that grows destroyers.......garden, fruit trees, corn, beans.......four legged plagues....

• Like 2

The d@mned deer are the reason I haven't had a fresh green bean in 10 years. And that's despite killing 3 a year! I've got something different for them this year though:

20230711_201207.thumb.jpg.3ad012cd1c4210300e06b4f8acb48843.jpg

Pity the squash won't be around when deer season comes in!

Mac

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacAR said:

The d@mned deer are the reason I haven't had a fresh green bean in 10 years. And that's despite killing 3 a year! I've got something different for them this year though:

Mac

Nice Savage, what calibre?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

@vtfireman85 will be salivating over that pic 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, augercreek said:

Nice Savage, what calibre?

303 Savage. I load a 150 grain Sierra SP Spitzer over H335, it's pretty potent medicine. 

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

@vtfireman85 will be salivating over that pic 😊

Yea I'd thought he and @mike newman would be all over it! Hard to beat a good lever gun.

Mac

• Like 3