Doesn't even have a bumper hitch

nomorejohndeere

I saw a very nicely done candy apple red and white 1st gen bronco at good guys. Twin turbo v6, more modern seats counsel full ladder bar suspension? The guy saw I was wearing a bronco shirt and asked me if I wanted to buy or build a bronco. I smiled and said I had several over the years, but it's been a while. Commented, I doubted I could afford one anymore as they had skyrocketed lately? He said that the red one is 300.....as my son and I walked off, he said $300,000?!?! I replied I think that's what he meant, yes.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, acem said:

Ok.

Good luck with that!

Ya it seemed a more than a bit excessive to me. Tho the one I was looking at looked stock there was no part of it untouched. There was nothing visible under the hood. No wiring loom, nothing.  He had really cleand up the engine bay of anything it would have had originally  all or most hidden somehow. It had some kind of hydro boost power brake system, not sure now what it had for power steering. Interior was leather and tho subdued was far from stock. It had in dash push button system for the transfer case. No part of the suspension was original.  All higher end stuff from what I could tell. And way out of my price range. Would take a major part of my retirement to own something at that price range. And it wouldn't have been my cup of tea. I would prefer one closer to original. But it was nice. The one above looks nice too but again way out of most folks budget. I did buy a 9 inch mustang rear axle housing from a guy a couple years ago that managed to get a solid one off ebay for around 16. It was an ugly dark green but solid driver from the pictures. He left it at a vacation cabin in another state. I think this was prior to 2019.

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy, don't get me wrong. But I never did see the usefulness of a Bronco (old or new) when pickups exist in the same world. At $185k, the seller is either nutty as fruitcake or really just doesn't want to sell it but at least he can tell the wife "I listed it, but no one wants to buy it".

Mac

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MacAR said:

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy, don't get me wrong. But I never did see the usefulness of a Bronco (old or new) when pickups exist in the same world. At $185k, the seller is either nutty as fruitcake or really just doesn't want to sell it but at least he can tell the wife "I listed it, but no one wants to buy it".

Mac

They are fun to drive. No other purpose needed for a 21yo at the time me. Had an 88 or 89 and drove it to work daily and hauled my kids to daycare as well as pulled a camper with it. That was later and not a 1st gen obviously. 

When I saw the counting cars guy sell one for 50,000 I thought that was crazy money and still do but they are hard to find in any shape now days and do have a following. 30 to 50 isn't un heard of now but it does still seem crazy to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

And I thought I was really doing something when I sold the one I bought for $800 for $2500 back in 1992

In 92 that was probably about right. I wish I had the red 30,000 mile one owner back that I had for a couple years. Think i sold it for 3000 at the time.  That was late 80s.

20210825_165311.jpg

20210825_165403.jpg

20210825_165459.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

When we were first married, I bought an 85 Bronco (six cyl, 4sp) for our family car.

As the family grew, we moved up to a 90 F350 Crew Cab and finally a  04 Yukon XL

There was some other stuff sprinkled in there too like a conversion van for going to ball games

Kids grew up and moved away we dropped down to a  18 Dodge Durango

Only "car" we have owned (and still do) in 36 years of marriage is a 04 P71 Code Crown Vic, and that was a "for the heck of it" buy. 

With the police pkg, it is a fun little car to drive but pretty impractical for out here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

When I saw the counting cars guy sell one for 50,000 I thought that was crazy money and still do

The real talent that the people like those guys have is finding someone to pay their asking prices. I have seen some really talented people give up because no one will pay them for their work. There was an amazing welder not far from me whose services were always in demand, but he spent an awful lot of time trying to collect his money. I have seen some really good independent mechanics also give up because people won’t pay their bill. It takes almost full time staff to get people to pay. 

The price of Scouts have gone through the roof now that almost all the old Broncos have been snatched up. I almost hate to think what my rust free 69 800a with a built 304, 4 speed, and modest lift is worth. I don’t care to sell it, so it doesn’t really matter…..

• Like 1