Gone by the wayside..

vtfireman85

Used to be every little town had a movie theater and bowling alley. I now need to drive an hour+ to see a movie (which I don’t) and i just saw an ad for bowling lanes turns out another alley closed up. 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Used to be every little town had a movie theater and bowling alley. I now need to drive an hour+ to see a movie (which I don’t) and i just saw an ad for bowling lanes turns out another alley closed up. 

so much is gone to the app devouring world.and most under 40 dont even know it existed.

They want it all to conform/look/function as a Barbie or Truman world

that side road ,stuff migrated to the "malls"(300 ac dairy) in the end 60s and back to strip malls 85'>

In the mid 50's got the first destination"miracle mile", combination flatten filling of strip/tunnel mines and cemetery picnic/grove park.

E/W "turnpike" had gone thru 5 yrs prior and this 1 mile strip was between main business area of main E/W stage stop/state Highway.

A 1/2 m strip mall of 50/50 small mom pop and 10K sq' ,regional then national chains kroger ss kresge sears gimbal etc. likely 300+ since.

drive ins went '85ish with little cars. Always checked competing/opening ,ads in the fat  newspaper(something delivered to your paper box up to 2-3x a day)in town on front porch ,next to the delivered farm box

Within 8 mile we also had 150+ FULL service gas station...service/repair garages,each supporting 2-4 families.  Now that is < 40 of the mid size self chains.

built '77> Strip malls never could cash flow to keep tenants smaller $$ than small space super regional/national. The major malls are on life support

Currently Help wanted everywhere (actual signs , dont apply unless willing to cowboy work long days for cowboy pay)

A lot of closed storefronts without for sale signs.

Only going to get worse,as even online ads have taken to "sales" in the last month.

Banks need loan payments to resume and have been keeping those OFF the books so far, Simply turning in  the keys is getting to be every day,then about 2 years for those to process then hit the market.

WHere the few remaining banks ,will have no peasant savings left to ,poof into $1in = $9out loans,derivative ed into $200

hello JPM/C cbdc/debit/script switch off card

mm123.jpg

mm223.jpg

• Like 3

Valentine still has a bowling alley 60 miles away

Wife and I bowl league once a week in the winter.

Still has paper scoring.

They do have automatic pin setters though😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My hometown of about 15 to 18000 had 2 bowling alleys 1 movie theater and 1 drive in. Down to 1 alley theaters are still there. Think drive in may be about the last 1 in the state. For sure only one close I can think of. Theater up on the town square struggles (I think) but still going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

My hometown of about 15 to 18000 had 2 bowling alleys 1 movie theater and 1 drive in. Down to 1 alley theaters are still there. Think drive in may be about the last 1 in the state. For sure only one close I can think of. Theater up on the town square struggles (I think) but still going.

So where is that? I remember drive in theaters in Cedar Falls and Waterloo when I was a kid. When I went to college Ames still had 1. But all these are long gone now.

We have a movie theater in town. Part of what fuels that one is the historical aspect to it. Back in the day it was where the Chicago and Detriot mobs met to discuss business. Town is roughly half way between the 2, so that was the meeting place. Sounds of the movie covered up their conversations from prying ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tipton, IN still has a movie theater and a bowling alley.

Unfortunately Tipton Indiana is nestled between Kokomo and Noblesville/Westfield such that the large store companies look at our location and low population density and say... drive to us, you're only 15-20 minutes away.  Really hurts the older population to not have shopping choices.

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

So where is that? I remember drive in theaters in Cedar Falls and Waterloo when I was a kid. When I went to college Ames still had 1. But all these are long gone now.

Newton.

defiantly the good ol days, theater popcorn and fountain pop last movie i saw in our local one was 2 fast 2 furious and it was awesome, the building was just deteriorating so it had to close 

quite frankly there hasnt really been many exciting movies made to be worth going to a theater for, plus most peoples basement now is more comfortable than paying to much to go out 

Just progress, or is in next generation stupidity?   This area is almost comical in growth. When I moved here in 93 there were Kmart based strip malls all over the place that had replaced the down town areas. Then Kmart went away and big malls came back. Recently  a large indoor mall  has been replace by an outdoor  water theme park.  When I was a kid in the late 40's before TV, there were 3 drive-in movies and 2 walk-in movies in a town of 5K people.  The walk-in theaters also sponsored stage shows quite often.

In down town Dallas there is an underground mall, basically abandoned (built by 60's oil boom profits) , previous politicians wanted  to fill it in until they discovered  the $$$ cost.  Also it is incorporated  into a walk way between many of those large building that makes up the Dallas skyline.  A healthy person (there is no automation in the system so there appears to be very little crime underground)  can walk for miles underground in downtown Dallas, Texas.

I have a lot of fond memories of going to the drive in movie theatre in Neligh Nebraska when we were in high school

Really fond memories 😉😍😄😄

• Haha 3

'''gone by the wayside''   ???

......the whole bloody outfit ,   as I experienced   it...growing up...has  ''gone  by the wayside..''

Guess maybe I should get  with it.....get my ears pierced...get a  ''man bun''     ....perhaps   a new ''pecker replacement'' would be in order...as the ads say....''to suit my lifestyle...''  could start breeding again.... to heck with tradition...  take a leak in the female toilet...even vote for the stupidest  moron ever to want to go for public office....

...the options are endless...but I guess I will stick to following my wonderful parents   ''up bringing''   and play the game as they  intended.........and feel I tried ...

Mike

....I forgot.....an get an Electric  vehicle  ...and now save the planet....

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, mike newman said:

......the whole bloody outfit ,   as I experienced   it...growing up...has  ''gone  by the wayside..''

Guess maybe I should get  with it.....get my ears pierced...get a  ''man bun''     ....perhaps   a new ''pecker replacement'' would be in order...as the ads say....''to suit my lifestyle...''  could start breeding again.... to heck with tradition...  take a leak in the female toilet...even vote for the stupidest  moron ever to want to go for public office....

...the options are endless...but I guess I will stick to following my wonderful parents   ''up bringing''   and play the game as they  intended.........and feel I tried ...

Mike

If you wass to grow a man bun Mr Mike, I would personally come over there and take your Marlins away🥺

But I am not going out and buy a plane ticket just yet, I think your rifles are safe where they are at🤠

• Haha 4

There's a drive-in theater across the river from us in Mtn. View, still does good business as "cheap" entertainment. It's been several years since we've been, being's how I can't see very well after dark and Mrs. Mac's driving scares the $%&# outta me. (If I want her to know that, I'll tell her myself!) There are also two movie theaters about 15 miles from us in Batesville; one is fairly new and $$$ to even get in. The other is older, but restored to it's 1960's self and much cheaper to get into. There's also a bowling alley, but I can't say that I've ever been in it. Bowling just never seemed to catch on in my part of the world I guess. 

At one time our little town of 400-odd citizens had a movie theater, two restaurants, three general stores, two service stations, a Masonic lodge hall, a cotton gin/ grist mill, and a blacksmith shop. Only thing left now is the service station and the bank, most of the other stuff was gone by the mid Eighties (before my time). Pity really; small town USA really is going by the wayside it seem. 

Mac

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, mmi said:

so much is gone to the app devouring world.and most under 40 dont even know it existed.

They want it all to conform/look/function as a Barbie or Truman world

that side road ,stuff migrated to the "malls"(300 ac dairy) in the end 60s and back to strip malls 85'>

In the mid 50's got the first destination"miracle mile", combination flatten filling of strip/tunnel mines and cemetery picnic/grove park.

E/W "turnpike" had gone thru 5 yrs prior and this 1 mile strip was between main business area of main E/W stage stop/state Highway.

A 1/2 m strip mall of 50/50 small mom pop and 10K sq' ,regional then national chains kroger ss kresge sears gimbal etc. likely 300+ since.

drive ins went '85ish with little cars. Always checked competing/opening ,ads in the fat  newspaper(something delivered to your paper box up to 2-3x a day)in town on front porch ,next to the delivered farm box

Within 8 mile we also had 150+ FULL service gas station...service/repair garages,each supporting 2-4 families.  Now that is < 40 of the mid size self chains.

built '77> Strip malls never could cash flow to keep tenants smaller $$ than small space super regional/national. The major malls are on life support

Currently Help wanted everywhere (actual signs , dont apply unless willing to cowboy work long days for cowboy pay)

A lot of closed storefronts without for sale signs.

Only going to get worse,as even online ads have taken to "sales" in the last month.

Banks need loan payments to resume and have been keeping those OFF the books so far, Simply turning in  the keys is getting to be every day,then about 2 years for those to process then hit the market.

WHere the few remaining banks ,will have no peasant savings left to ,poof into $1in = $9out loans,derivative ed into $200

hello JPM/C cbdc/debit/script switch off card

mm123.jpg

mm223.jpg

Kresge’s... haven’t heard that name for a while. I have somewhere a circular saw with a kresge sticker on it.

Guys a lot of what happened was that small businesses with no debt load, well mom and pop decided to retire and sell out. New owners now had debt load. So one by one they failed. In part to HBO and Showtime, Netflex and others. Old mom and pop lived above or on the of the store. So no rent and no debt ment they could struggle but still stay open.

Rick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Guys a lot of what happened was that small businesses with no debt load, well mom and pop decided to retire and sell out. New owners now had debt load. So one by one they failed. In part to HBO and Showtime, Netflex and others. Old mom and pop lived above or on the of the store. So no rent and no debt ment they could struggle but still stay open.

There is a bowling alley not far from here where they lived upstairs. 

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Unless my memory is long gone which is becoming a reality me and you growing a man bun is 40 yrs too late

• Haha 2

Move theaters and bowling alleys are hanging on. The last drive in did close this spring. It was in the college town of the county. But the video rental business came on like gang busters here. Town of less than 20,000 had 4,5, maybe 6 video rental places. Today they are all gone.