Grandkid season

Lazy WP

Grandkid season 2023 is over! We have not spent a lot of time with the 3 younger grandkids for whatever reason. Got both of my youngest daughters boys for a week. I’m old and grumpy. They are young and LOUD!! We got a long fairly well, mostly. 

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

• Like 15

He graduated this year,  but our grandson always spent a week on the farm with us when he was younger.  He lives close and we saw him a lot,  but it was just a special week in the summer.

It was a lot of fun but by weeks end ............ I knew why young folks have kids and not old people.

100_1427 (600 x 450).jpg

File0064 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_2442 (600 x 450).jpg

IMG_2452 (600 x 450).jpg

• Like 7

That's awesome. Memories are eternal and priceless.

Everybody tells me we were crazy to have a kid when the first one was 18, and we were "almost free". Hogwash. I despise that sentiment. Children are a blessing. Kids keep us young. Just typing this post has taken ten times as long as it should have, because she's quite literally sprinting from one end of the house to the other, excited about everything she sees and does, like it's Christmas morning, and in constant need of intervention. She's well behaved, but she wakes up at 100. I don't even think she yawns or stretches! I don't have a choice but to be attentive and active.

Then, there's keeping healthy. If I don't want to deprive my children. I need to take care of myself. I could stand to do a lot better on that front.

I look forward to being a grandparent, but I know better than to wish away today. I did that in my childhood and it wasn't the best decision.

• Like 4

We see the world as bizarre values, its their normal unfortunately I hope anytime spent with them in our surroundings will be impactfull in their future

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

And that gargantuan excavating thing is COOL!!

Big Brutus. The guy who gave us the tour, was actually on it when it was working. It was used to move the overburden off of a coal mine.  I could have spent an entire day looking and listening to the stories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Larger fish are easier to clean 😊.

Just teasing. Good job Grandpa 👍🏼👍🏼

A year ago, you could almost throw a bare hook into the water and catch something. This year you had to really work at it. Independence Day, a neighbor kid caught a couple of pretty nice Bass out of the other pond. 

It was a whole lot easier when I was on the ranch. We had my oldest granddaughter with us for two months out of the summer for 5 years. 
Now that I am on the truck, it was almost like they were invading my down time. Always tough when you take 2 of them at once, even when Jessie had been coming up, when her older brother came up with her for a week, things got tough. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Big Brutus. The guy who gave us the tour, was actually on it when it was working. It was used to move the overburden off of a coal mine.  I could have spent an entire day looking and listening to the stories. 

I assume it's static, or does it run?

I had our three year old over for the long weekend last week, I swear he wears out the words gramma and grampa, had the 1 and half year old over wednesday, he is on the verge of walking with my one helping hand, at our age we have to enjoy what time we get with them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

It was a whole lot easier when I was on the ranch. We had my oldest granddaughter with us for two months out of the summer for 5 years. 
Now that I am on the truck, it was almost like they were invading my down time. Always tough when you take 2 of them at once, even when Jessie had been coming up, when her older brother came up with her for a week, things got tough. 

It is a week they won’t ever forget. Enjoy it while you can. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

I assume it's static, or does it run?

No it was shut down in 1973. It dug right up to the spot where it sits, then they pulled the plug, literally. The motors and generators have been stripped. It had a 1500 foot umbilical cord that weighed 23 pounds per foot. 

6 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

No it was shut down in 1973. It dug right up to the spot where it sits, then they pulled the plug, literally. The motors and generators have been stripped. It had a 1500 foot umbilical cord that weighed 23 pounds per foot. 

I kind of recall reading about the electrical consumption of a coal mine for machines like that.

Don't feel so bad about running the AC when I come in to eat dinner in the summer😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I kind of recall reading about the electrical consumption of a coal mine for machines like that.

Don't feel so bad about running the AC when I come in to eat dinner in the summer😄

The way I understand it, they provided their own electricity via a huge generator. Maybe someone else can help me, but it sounded like they had 3 different AC motors powering 3 DC generators. We didn’t get caught up to the tour guide at that point so I didn’t hear the entire story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

The way I understand it, they provided their own electricity via a huge generator. Maybe someone else can help me, but it sounded like they had 3 different AC motors powering 3 DC generators. We didn’t get caught up to the tour guide at that point so I didn’t hear the entire story. 

After a couple minute's reflection

I decided to delete my post

Afraid it might move this thread away from Nick's grandkids

And didn't want to do that🤠

Nite fellers🤠😴

• Like 1

Don't overlook the time you get with them. If they are like kids, they'll grow and be gone all too soon.

Grandkid season won't start for me until September. Daughter is due with what will be our first grandchild. The Mrs has been crocheting up a storm. Booties, hats, sweaters, toys... Good lord. I've been calling her Betsy Ross. 

I guess I'm not much better. Grumpa (what the family has taken to calling me) is restoring a vintage Radio Flyer wagon already.

• Like 2