Farmall H hydraulics

I have an H with an aftermarket 3 point hitch which I use to rake hay with a side delivery rake.  The belly pump being what it is,  releasing the pressure on the cylinder it's all or nothing, there is no letting the pressure on the 3 point release slowly.  This lets the rake down pretty hard to the ground.   Have been giving some thought to installing an orifice either at the pump outlet or at the cylinder to slow down the flow back to the pump to let the rake down a bit slower.  I realize this will also slow down pressurizing the cylinder (rake will raise slower).  So, will this do what I want it to?  And any advice on where to start on orifice size, or will I just have to experiment?

12 minutes ago, Skagit Farmer said:

I have an H with an aftermarket 3 point hitch which I use to rake hay with a side delivery rake.  The belly pump being what it is,  releasing the pressure on the cylinder it's all or nothing, there is no letting the pressure on the 3 point release slowly.  This lets the rake down pretty hard to the ground.   Have been giving some thought to installing an orifice either at the pump outlet or at the cylinder to slow down the flow back to the pump to let the rake down a bit slower.  I realize this will also slow down pressurizing the cylinder (rake will raise slower).  So, will this do what I want it to?  And any advice on where to start on orifice size, or will I just have to experiment?

Rear port on left side may have slow drop in it. 

When we used to encounter similar problems, we would buy an orifice fitting that had a floating plate in it. The floating  plate had the hole in it. 

During the lift cycle, the plate would lift off of the seat and you would have full-flow.  On the drop cycle, the plate would go against the seat and then all oil had to be returned through the orifice hole. 

Red Tech

• Like 2

The rear left port is the one currently being used so I guess no slow drop.  The flow control valve looks like what I need.  Thanks.