What was the problem with the mismatch paint on the 88 series international?

Layman777

I was under the impression that different parts or different sub-assemblies of these 50 series / 88 series tractors were painted at different facilities before being brought together for final assembly.

The paints came from different paint batches and maybe from different paint manufacturers.

Later as the factory paint jobs aged over the years, different sections or pieces of sheet metal faded differently or changed shades differently as a result of having been painted in various locations.

Anyone expert on this please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Lead based paint was banned by the g since apparently everyone was eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. IH made a big announcement to dealers about their new and improved paint process. The only problem was it didn't work because IH clearly had insufficient funds for proper R&D on non lead paint so their paint reacted differently depending on the type of surface to which it was applied. Some of that same phenomenon carried over to the Magnum tractor line, especially in the early days when 7100 Series tractors fade in multiple colors like their older cousins.

• Like 1

Thank you I appreciate any help in trying to understand the paint color delima.   I have a 1984 model 5088 that has been taken care of and has all the original paint.  
The hood and all other engine panels have all turned a darker Red but the cab looks like it has bleached some  but shines beautiful  when cleaned and waxed.  
I thought I would repaint the sheet metal in front of the cab but leave the cab alone , hoping that it would be similar enough that it would not need refinished.   I will definitely use the better paint for a never again redo on such an original find.  This tractor has 3000 original hours and just needs the red to make it the survivor tractor look like an 80’s era leader it was .   
I often thought the 2150 paint that we used in repainting a 1086 back in 1990 wasn’t even close to the original color it had .   It looked good until the paint wore off in places and showed the original red underneath and that confirmed my suspicion.  
I want to use the right color Red if even possible on this 5088.  

Dr Evil would be the fellow who knows

another factor is that the cabs came over from the combine plant, presumably painted  with the old process.   I have an '84 5088 and 1460 combine, and the cab of the 50 seems pretty similar to the combine- a little brighter and lighter shade of red than the hood and side panels.   I am willing to be corrected, but my memory says the 30/50 series were meant to be a darker red than 2150

you might check with your local auto body shops-  the one we use got a computerized paint matching setup a few years ago.  I'm not sure how it works, I think they would scan the cab and the program comes up with the proper blend to match.   They did a great job on my retired Forest Service truck a while back- jackknifed the cattle trailer and ended up with new box sides- the only way you can tell anything is all the fine scratches the Forest Service put on the truck now end at the cab instead of going all the way to the taillights

6 hours ago, Layman777 said:

Thank you I appreciate any help in trying to understand the paint color delima.   I have a 1984 model 5088 that has been taken care of and has all the original paint.  
The hood and all other engine panels have all turned a darker Red but the cab looks like it has bleached some  but shines beautiful  when cleaned and waxed.  
I thought I would repaint the sheet metal in front of the cab but leave the cab alone , hoping that it would be similar enough that it would not need refinished.   I will definitely use the better paint for a never again redo on such an original find.  This tractor has 3000 original hours and just needs the red to make it the survivor tractor look like an 80’s era leader it was .   
I often thought the 2150 paint that we used in repainting a 1086 back in 1990 wasn’t even close to the original color it had .   It looked good until the paint wore off in places and showed the original red underneath and that confirmed my suspicion.  
I want to use the right color Red if even possible on this 5088.  

Probably would have been better to lead with this, instead of a cryptic, "Paint mismatched." Just for future reference, the more information you give up front the better. Once a thread has taken a direction it's hard to steer it back where you really want to go.

I maintain that nobody really knows what real IH red looks like. It's all about what looks good to them. You might want to solicit the input of one who restores these 88 series tractors for a living and see what they use for paint. Most likely you will get responses from 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:44 PM, Rick G. said:

I was under the impression that different parts or different sub-assemblies of these 50 series / 88 series tractors were painted at different facilities before being brought together for final assembly.

The paints came from different paint batches and maybe from different paint manufacturers.

Later as the factory paint jobs aged over the years, different sections or pieces of sheet metal faded differently or changed shades differently as a result of having been painted in various locations.

Anyone expert on this please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks. 

Aged over the years?
Some rolled in on the truck with mismatched paint, then it got more pronounced with age. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, Drysleeves said:

Lead based paint was banned by the g since apparently everyone was eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. IH made a big announcement to dealers about their new and improved paint process. The only problem was it didn't work because IH clearly had insufficient funds for proper R&D on non lead paint so their paint reacted differently depending on the type of surface to which it was applied. Some of that same phenomenon carried over to the Magnum tractor line, especially in the early days when 7100 Series tractors fade in multiple colors like their older cousins.

All equipment builders had to face that challenge but by the 1980's the quality overall seemed to be better.  Which is weird considering the 1980's is not the first thing you would associate with the concept of quality.  

I can remember new tractors at Lilley International with mismatched paint. They were so bad, IH sent all new decals and paid to have the tractors repainted.

• Like 1