Interesting article on energy.

iowaboy1965

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Interesting for sure, but the masses will never understand the truth 

Yup, it goes against the climate change money grab.

2 hours ago, hillman said:

Thanx hilly, kanuckistanian being lied to, my ears are always burning.

45 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

we just arent ready to support this from many perspectives - i dont believe we will live long enough or the earth be here to support it. 

You are right but don't tell the "experts" that because according to them we are going to helll in a handcart because of climate change but nothing said about the constant breeding and increasing size of the worlds population and inept handling of water and forest managements.

44 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Yep, it’s true. It’s just not what is socially popular at this time. 

That may not be but improper mining practices that are used for batteries, the costs of said batteries and the viable reusability of those batteries, I won't be around for any realization of all the untruths and I hope I'm wrong because I have two little grandkids who will be alive well into the next century and if the ducksticks running our countries into the ground don't get ousted and proper thinking put in place it won't be an  enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

There are no experts that MSM or gruberment is using just a bunch of idiots on somebody's payroll 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hillman said:

Really let's look at carbon capture for a second and see if any of this has any common sense, CO2 levels are rising and the earth is turning 15% greener, now we are going to pump it down into the ground using energy, easy at first but just like filling your car tire gonna consume more and more energy as the pressure starts to rise, would not recommend Yellowstone as a test area?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

Really let's look at carbon capture for a second and see if any of this has any common sense, CO2 levels are rising and the earth is turning 15% greener, now we are going to pump it down into the ground using energy, easy at first but just like filling your car tire gonna consume more and more energy as the pressure starts to rise, would not recommend Yellowstone as a test area?

the biggest take away from that article I found was the green energy limitations. they seem to be maxed out. 

• Like 1

Whatever the reasons, energy choices do change over time.  

Originally we used wood, dung and other renewable energy sources, including muscle. Our next preferred energy source was coal (imagine the surprise when someone found out the rock would burn!). Oil became our preferred energy source around the time of WWII. It seems Natural gas, renewables and nuclear are all moving ahead and oil is loosing dominance now, mostly for political reasons.

Oil, coal and natural gas are all fossil fuels. There are still large reserves of fossil fuels but there is only so much to use. Nuclear power has more reserves, especially with improved methods like breeder reactors. It would seem that solar, wind and other renewable energy sources are the long term ideal. However we are often outrunning current reliable technology.

The best approach is a variety of energy sources. Nuclear power has it's issues but is much better for the environment and people than fossil fuels. Hopefully renewables will continue to improve.

Like politics, energy preferences change over time. We have had renewable pushes in the past. At this point in time we are not the most important players in the world. India and china each have 4 times more people than the US. Their choices are more important than ours for global health. 

My daughter studied in Shanghai China over the summer a few years ago. She said the air pollution was horrible. It was unpleasant to breathe at times...

If we go to renewables it will be kinda like a circle. We started with renewable energy.

9 hours ago, hardtail said:

Many of the SD farmers are revolting over this carbon pipeline.

They say this is a private venture that is not covered by imminent domain.

Things are heating up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acem said:

Whatever the reasons, energy choices do change over time.  

Originally we used wood, dung and other renewable energy sources, including muscle. Our next preferred energy source was coal (imagine the surprise when someone found out the rock would burn!). Oil became our preferred energy source around the time of WWII. It seems Natural gas, renewables and nuclear are all moving ahead and oil is loosing dominance now, mostly for political reasons.

Oil, coal and natural gas are all fossil fuels. There are still large reserves of fossil fuels but there is only so much to use. Nuclear power has more reserves, especially with improved methods like breeder reactors. It would seem that solar, wind and other renewable energy sources are the long term ideal. However we are often outrunning current reliable technology.

The best approach is a variety of energy sources. Nuclear power has it's issues but is much better for the environment and people than fossil fuels. Hopefully renewables will continue to improve.

Like politics, energy preferences change over time. We have had renewable pushes in the past. At this point in time we are not the most important players in the world. India and china each have 4 times more people than the US. Their choices are more important than ours for global health. 

My daughter studied in Shanghai China over the summer a few years ago. She said the air pollution was horrible. It was unpleasant to breathe at times...

If we go to renewables it will be kinda like a circle. We started with renewable energy.

Tell me just how efficient wind energy is. A good share of the blades are being made in third world nations shipped by the cheapest method possible to the United States, loaded onto at least 7 oversized trucks, with a minimum of 2 pilot vehicles for each truck. Set on nearly 1,000 tons of concrete, which I am sure was hauled by the most efficient trucks, stood up with a minimum of 2 cranes, all for a life expectancy of 20 years? 
Doesn’t add up using my calculator. Then again I’m just a dumb farmer/rancher turned truck owner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Tell me just how efficient wind energy is. A good share of the blades are being made in third world nations shipped by the cheapest method possible to the United States, loaded onto at least 7 oversized trucks, with a minimum of 2 pilot vehicles for each truck. Set on nearly 1,000 tons of concrete, which I am sure was hauled by the most efficient trucks, stood up with a minimum of 2 cranes, all for a life expectancy of 20 years? 
Doesn’t add up using my calculator. Then again I’m just a dumb farmer/rancher turned truck owner. 

And the solar farms covering up highly productive farmland. Nuclear is the way to go. Safest and most productive. 

The "scientists" are just telling the government what they want to hear so they can be famous and rich. It's called PHOTOSYNTHESIS.... 

• Thanks 1

Wind energy can be practical certain circumstances.

Notice my statement

"However we are often outrunning current reliable technology"

WInd energy has been harnessed for various uses throughout recorded history. My ancestors named Mershon (Marchand in french) sailed from France to what is now New York City in the late 1600s using wind energy.

Modern wind turbine generators are practical in some places with lots of available wind energy. I saw them on the coast of Aruba and in west Texas before there was government subsidies. They were installed because they made money. That technology needs improvement to be practical in less ideal locations. The blades need to be metal or something recyclable.

I would argue that biodiesel and wood heat is renewable because it mostly converts solar energy into a more useable from. 

I'm not saying the technology is here for conversion to full renewables at this time. However I believe we need to continue to research and use it where practical.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Solar farms need to be in urban areas. On top of all those buildings and parking lot s instead of on farmland!

Solar technology is not really competitive with standard electricity at this time. It's very useful for off grid locations though.

• Thanks 2

Have you seen a wind farm going in? I have seen 3 go in and several solar farms in my travels. It is a huge waste and not sustainable. My cousin that got lied to and conned can't even find someone to sue because of the shell companies, still not getting paid for the buried lines on his McClean county Illinois farmland that they destroyed.

If early attempts prove successful they might try attaching them to the ships with masts..............

And captains could have peg legs and parrots.................🙄😆

IMG_0602.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...run out of pills, ...again...Jeff?????

Mike

Why yes I did............how did you know MIke???

Actually my day of working on the swather and changing oil in the hayfield tractors got derailed by a neighbor who brought his baler over for me to help him fix.

And while i was in eating dinner, Chad called and said "if'n ya ain't doin nothin', I could use a load of fuel". What's he doin calling me on Independence Day, don't people ever take a day off???

So there goes my plans for getting all my numbers together tonight to take in to the accountant tomorrow for the VFD's upcoming budget

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

I keep Him in stitches😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Why yes I did............how did you know MIke???

Actually my day of working on the swather and changing oil in the hayfield tractors got derailed by a neighbor who brought his baler over for me to help him fix.

And while i was in eating dinner, Chad called and said "if'n ya ain't doin nothin', I could use a load of fuel". What's he doin calling me on Independence Day, don't people ever take a day off???

So there goes my plans for getting all my numbers together tonight to take in to the accountant tomorrow for the VFD's upcoming budget

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

I keep Him in stitches😄

,,,,just a hint from your post re ''sail'' boats....I think they were all the rage when there were no endless pontificating in respect of excessive  carbon dioxide that needed to be reduced....not even a worry about cloven hoofed animals  etc etc..:)

...and Jeff...you well know by now that  the good old honest folk who keep this world rollin'   along .....are forever lacing up their boots to go out and provide for that mess of humanity  that are too bloody tired or lazy or incompetent to make  basic decisions  to even help themselves....

God is more likely shaking his head in disbelief .......

Go well Jeff

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

If early attempts prove successful they might try attaching them to the ships with masts..............

And captains could have peg legs and parrots.................🙄😆

IMG_0602.jpeg

And we thought we had a supply chain issue now

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, F-301066460puller said:

And we thought we had a supply chain issue now

"Therefore most ancient sailing was done before the wind.  The skipper sat in port until the wind blew the right way"

"The Ancient Engineers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ancient_Engineers

There is also a comment (IIRC) that "no one but a madman or a Christian sails to windward"

• Like 1

My sailboats can sail about 45 degrees into the wind. They are Bermuda rigged sloops.

image.png.b6ab53003d8138d8fd34121191f10727.png

The points of sail:
A. Into the wind; shaded: "no-go zone" where a craft may be "in irons".
B. Close-hauled (used when beating to windward)
 between B and C. Close reach
C. Beam reach
D. Broad reach
E. Running downwind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_rig

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_sail#Close_hauled