CIH 5140. Uh-oh maybe?

Deemston Bob

My stepfather has been talking about a 5140 for a bit now. I have no knowledge of these machines since the newest red tractor I have run is an 88 series. Except I knew they have the 5.9 Cummins power plant. He took me to look at one today and he pretty much bought it. Looking back on the day I am having second thoughts. First of all, I didn’t know it was a euro case ih. I kind of quit paying attention after case took over. Well at least after the box car magnums. Long story short, what are the good and bad on these machines?  If the hours are correct, it looked awful worked over for 3500 but things were tight. 

Technically the engine is not a Cummins, it is a CDC (Consolidated Diesel Corporation) but built to the same basic specs as a Cummins 5.9.  I ran a 5140 for a lot of years and got along with it well.  Trouble areas tend to be the park brake (gets burned off and becomes ineffective), PTO unit in the back can give trouble, power shift can need work once they get up in hours.  Engine is virtually bullet proof.  Hydraulic capacity is mediocre.  Easy machine to drive with a  synchronized range transmission, and either a synchro speed transmission or power shift.  Reverser is one of the best in the industry.  Is this a Rest of World market machine? Or NA market?  As they were all built in Europe.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Technically the engine is not a Cummins, it is a CDC (Consolidated Diesel Corporation) but built to the same basic specs as a Cummins 5.9.  I ran a 5140 for a lot of years and got along with it well.  Trouble areas tend to be the park brake (gets burned off and becomes ineffective), PTO unit in the back can give trouble, power shift can need work once they get up in hours.  Engine is virtually bullet proof.  Hydraulic capacity is mediocre.  Easy machine to drive with a  synchronized range transmission, and either a synchro speed transmission or power shift.  Reverser is one of the best in the industry.  Is this a Rest of World market machine? Or NA market?  As they were all built in Europe.  

dont know the years I run a 89' ,30 with 11k daily  and 93' 5230 w 5k concur as above

prefer the 1st series/yrs  just like cat 426 or 963

cdc maybe thats why dodge and cummins couldnt cross a 7mm inj for the 9mm fuel saver(cash/junker)

I have a 5140 , good tractor -- Fix the park brake by adding a return spring on the cable lever -- also made a drive cut off, when the park brake lever is raised -- don't see the park brake ever causing a problem now

That CDC engine is basically a Cummins joint venture that was sold outside of the Cummins market -- CNH used them in several of their machines in the 6 and 4 cylinder versions

If you're asking about it being a "Euro tractor" as in was it made in Europe, yes. Maxxums were manufactured in Germany and then England (who don't consider themselves part of Europe). Having second thoughts because, "It's not made in 'Murica?" Don't look at tractors that new. You're not going to find anything made after 1985 that doesn't have at least some foreign content.

If you're asking about it being a "Euro tractor" as in a tractor built to European specifications and imported to the US, there are some signs. Claw ends on the 3pt. Extra wide rear fenders. Fat tires with metric size designations like on a car.

Thanks for some education on its manufacturing origins. I guess my thoughts were revolving around it being euro spec, like Matt described. I am now putting this all together and if I understand correctly, the “euro specs” will not have any effect on the bones of the tractor. As in I shouldn’t have to worry about different parts etc?

There may be a few part on a ROW 5140 that cannot be gotten from a NA dealer (other than the growing list of stuff that is NLA to begin with), but there won’t be much.  If it has a PTO speed shifter in the cab, Some parts related to the PTO in the rear housing will not be available in the US.  The “Euro” version of the CIH Maxxums frankly has options or features that the NA models should have had.  I would rather have a Euro than a NA Maxxum anymore.

3500 hours is low for a 34 year old tractor. If it hasn’t been abused or neglected it will likely serve you well to the extent it can. Engine and reverser are nearly bulletproof but there are quirks as guys have outlined. If it’s any indication the early Maxxum tractors in good condition tend to hold value.