Why not get a kit, send head out , injectors and pump rebuild, like new in the end. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bitty said:

Why not get a kit, send head out , injectors and pump rebuild, like new in the end. 

Exactly.  Probably the cheapest engine out there to overhaul 

Get a crankshaft. I've never had better luck with used parts over what I already have. Could be close to failure time for the used ones 

• Like 1

Or just find a truck or combine motor and swap the tractor engine front and rear cover, dipstick, manifolds etc. Get an engine reseal kit and drop it in. Doing that with a 5088 right now. Engine was $2500, gaskets and seals $400. 

3 hours ago, WisIHCFarmer said:

Or just find a truck or combine motor and swap the tractor engine front and rear cover, dipstick, manifolds etc. Get an engine reseal kit and drop it in. Doing that with a 5088 right now. Engine was $2500, gaskets and seals $400. 

They've gotten hard to find. The old combines that used to give up their engines for tractors have mostly been stripped. Even pre-1993 IH trucks with DT466's are far and few between. Seems most all of them have the V8 diesel or a gas engine anymore.

Last one I saw was two years ago. Had to drive 5-1/2 hours each way to get it, and I was taking a HECK of a chance, on the guy's word alone, that it was a good engine.

I got lucky. At least I think I did. The engine seems to be good. Had a couple of dirty injectors (would run rough and smoke gray until it warmed up) but a massive dose of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula seems to have cleared that up.

Conversely, overhauls have their own pitfalls these days with poor quality parts and lack of alternatives.

There just isn't a good solution. Not enough people overhauling these anymore. The ones that needed overhauling have been overhauled and don't get used enough to wear out and need overhauling again. The ones that weren't lucky enough to be overhauled now are quickly becoming disposable...

I am with Bitty on the overhaul.I just don't trust going to all that work and putting in a used engine. Even so called low hours guarantees nothing. My main concern would be even if it sounded good wet sleeve O rings could go overnight. I had it happen to me and it is a rude awaking. Overhauled it and it's my most used 1066.

Mikes Equipment in Buhler, KS has a whole bunch of them sitting inside on engine stands and pallets. Pulled from tractors and combines. I was there last week, and seeing them all together in one spot put a smile on my face!  
I was told by a IH mechanic not to rebuild (in frame) a 400 series engine, because most likely the cam is getting worn, and to put a different cam with bearings in takes a lot of work.  I definitely understand and agree with being afraid of sleeves and o-rings on a used engine. Had a 1066 with a 414 go bad on me. However, about 15 years ago, I repowered a 1086 with a 436 from a combine (from Mikes Equipment) and have put many thousands of hours on it since. Still running great. 

Cams are a big issue on those engines I know from experience when  you start breaking rocker arms the cam is shot