dehumidifier ?

mmi

I just had a cheapo freeze up.....assumed it had a leak, got low of refrigerant, and froze up........junk pile time.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I just had a cheapo freeze up.....assumed it had a leak, got low of refrigerant, and froze up........junk pile time.

Need clarification. Froze up and low on freon don't go together. If expansion valve and a little past are frosted. It is probably low on freon but not frozen. There is not enough liquid freon to get into evaporator to pickup heat. It is all boiling right at expansion valve. If entire evaporator frosts and shuts off airflow. That is froze up. Dirty filter or fan or fan not turning or ambient air to cold are normal causes.

56 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Need clarification. Froze up and low on freon don't go together. If expansion valve and a little past are frosted. It is probably low on freon but not frozen. There is not enough liquid freon to get into evaporator to pickup heat. It is all boiling right at expansion valve. If entire evaporator frosts and shuts off airflow. That is froze up. Dirty filter or fan or fan not turning or ambient air to cold are normal causes.

? so... what do you know .to share with us ..? believe this is opposite? warm return,with +- 20* differential and havent broken the plastic away to see the cross over expansion,

compressor hot but the covers were off then.

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

I assume he means the compressor locked up.

2 hours ago, mmi said:

? so... what do you know .to share with us ..? believe this is opposite? warm return,with +- 20* differential and havent broken the plastic away to see the cross over expansion,

compressor hot but the covers were off then.

Don't think I have much to share you don't already know. Equal Temps is

1. No freon

2. Freon not moving. Compressor failure or blockage

3. No restriction. Almost to hard to imagine.

@Gearclash im thinking the same with that kind of description on the compressor lock up, never noticed it before but speaking of compressors, when i was out standing by my outside unit today I noticed the compressor wehn it shut off sounded like a tiller motor when you shut it off, slowing in rpm and the last 4 or 5 revolutions were clank clank clank clank, like the rod bearings are getting worn out.............ding dang it never noticed one sounding like that on any of my other AC compressors 

14 hours ago, snoshoe said:

My central AC will freeze up if the refrigerant level gets slightly low. My HVAC guy said it is a common occurrence. About every 3 years when I turn it on, it will work for a while and then no airflow. A-coil freezes. Refrigerant gets colder at lower pressures. There's still freon in the system, but the low side pressure gets too low. He adds a few ounces of R12 ( it's an old system) and I'm good for another 3 years.

h

On 7/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, snoshoe said:

3. No restriction. Almost to hard to imagine.

didnt bust out the plastic to look for the expansion cross over between cold/hot,as going to curb when probable pirates may want, before $$$ to toss,if its empty the tag is just a $$$pc thing

Has been to wet to put at curb ,found good temp gun  . Ran it 1/2 hr  compressor goes to 200*   hot side was 76* , cold 72*

couldnt find the expansion cross over between them,pulled some more plastic and  tar coating , what looked like a thermo couple sensor  seems to be a capillary tube between the 1/2 s? got a few drops of water just after

Just short of the compressor return, looks like a dryer/evaporator    smacked that several x to get the 4* differential?

18 minutes ago, mmi said:

h

didnt bust out the plastic to look for the expansion cross over between cold/hot,as going to curb when probable pirates may want, before $$$ to toss,if its empty the tag is just a $$$pc thing

Has been to wet to put at curb ,found good temp gun  . Ran it 1/2 hr  compressor goes to 200*   hot side was 76* , cold 72*

couldnt find the expansion cross over between them,pulled some more plastic and  tar coating , what looked like a thermo couple sensor  seems to be a capillary tube between the 1/2 s? got a few drops of water just after

Just short of the compressor return, looks like a dryer/evaporator    smacked that several x to get the 4* differential?

I can take guesses but without pressures I can't be sure of anything. Temps say compressor is running. Not necessarily pumping. Might just be wheezing back and forth. Cap tube, orifice or expansion valve. Whatever it uses may be plugged. With what? Debris from failed compressor? For sure you're not boiling any freon in the evaporator. May not be any in it.

no pressure taps in a plastic world

doesnt cost anything fiddling and waiting for prime stealing weather

We had 7 weeks of near not measurable rain.

last 3 has been near every day .50> with 2 weeks  to go

The other 3 DH have been running almost 24/7  cant wait for the bill .............

yet, light switchs and florescent tube leads are getting corrosion, only < 80s and the HO's light fast