dehumidifier ?

mmi

Take a chance here before ,being forced to buy china.

dehumidifier 10 ....maybe 20 yrs old always worked better and faster/cheaper  than this new crap.   Have to run 4 may -sept.

Anyhow got it out of cupboard like in past. it all runs like normal ,down drain ,while others are buckets, and need 2x /day attention. and never looked again.

Tools were getting some rust, so looked closer and it makes no water......?

Opened it up not easy.  All runs ......doesnt get a distinct temp differential?

A orifice plugged?

B sense bulb bad

C board issue

D juice gave out

E other?

F pay to have it emptied/tagged as its "not ever" and then pay again to toss it,  prior it would last 2 hours at the curb,but only coils are copper

50 minutes ago, acem said:

Buy a window air conditioner.

prefer not to buy anything from china

its MUCh too $$$ to run the WHA and these still run 20%,    The shop has none or open able windows

these are $1.50/day ea. and the WH fan is $3.50/day  house energy in any form is actually cheap its the connection/customer fee,add ons,,tax,and transport =88% currently

hot water/cooking gas last mo $4, bill =$25  ,electric is 900 units more with 700 fixed

I feel your pain.

No appliance made in the last 15 years has any longevity.

I have a collection of various units which employ mechanical cycle switching, I jealously guard these.

Avoid anything with touchpad control.

MMI, the final act for any hermetically sealed refrigerating unit is to install piercing valves on the compressor lines, then read the pressure, both high side and low side.

this will indicate if a compressor failure or a plugged expansion valve/orifice condition exists.

( assuming you want to spend the time and money on a unit that is older than the average college student)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mmi said:

prefer not to buy anything from china

its MUCh too $$$ to run the WHA and these still run 20%,    The shop has none or open able windows

these are $1.50/day ea. and the WH fan is $3.50/day  house energy in any form is actually cheap its the connection/customer fee,add ons,,tax,and transport =88% currently

hot water/cooking gas last mo $4, bill =$25  ,electric is 900 units more with 700 fixed

I admire the way you watch your pennies while so many are squandering dollars.

If you know how to work on refrigerant systems, sometimes you can find deals on coolers from a store. Think beer/milk cooler in a convince store. They take some work to set up but are usually very good/reliable systems if set up correctly.

No consensus but I suspect  orifice or low r   

it is old there fore cheaper to run than the narrative "PC"  crap (never understood the more waste is better?)

but it is new enough for touch board and 90% child proof plastic. Thus I cant locate the expansion (mechanical).

didnt bother with batteries in heat gun....compressor goes to 220*+  hot side is +- 10 of room and cold is 55* ish

board = $ more than new crap

no taps and chechnian joe is $95 hr + materials

use to just put at curb and gone in 2 hours   ,now they have to be empty and tagged $$$ and then schedule HM pickup $

Buy a new one from amazon.

Do a nice job opening the new one, keep the packaging undamaged.

Place the old one in the amazon box, leave on porch.

azcam us off doesnt have anything even close to get the box big enough and dont say kenmore or resemble picture to fake return

it went to the curb     

replacement starts at $500 + and 2x $ to run ,IF  china ships, still dont understand how run time 90% of 24 hrs is efficient?

we thought the freezer was broke at 80%/70* run in 24 hr but govt says #3     , with 70% / 70 * #1 best

• Confused 1

Ours in the basement cycles on the humidistat; admittedly almost constant now due fieldstone foundation and constant rain last 5 weeks.

We got at least 10 years out of the last one, latest is about 5 and still working fine. Both Chinese imports. I doubt one can find one that's not.

I love the repackage for porch pirates idea!

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Ours in the basement cycles on the humidistat; admittedly almost constant now due fieldstone foundation and constant rain last 5 weeks.

We got at least 10 years out of the last one, latest is about 5 and still working fine. Both Chinese imports. I doubt one can find one that's not.

I love the repackage for porch pirates idea!

You need a heat pump water heater. 

ive got one that is 35yrs old - at least an old monkey wards i had to put a fan in from another unit but its still making water in my storage area - it has a dial on it no push buttons, others are newer and one was involve in that recall where you had to cut the cord off and send it to them along with pix and they send you credit/check for a replacement unit. lots of brand names of those you might want to check on that. Most are 10 to 15 yrs old now and were/are fire hazards.

A/C units are fine, i have had 2 of the mobile inside type with the big tube u stick out the window for exhaust, seem to work fine, got one in my shop now but will be transitioning to a ptac as I like them and they seem to run 15 yrs or longer for whatever reason in my experience. Probably go mini split eventually but these ptacs are cheap if you can grab them when a hotel/motel in teh area is doing upgrades and pick them up for 150 to 400 bucks depending on teh size/condition/heat pump style too

one of these days when i get caught up you will see my install project on here. likely be fall before i get to it

here is where i found the recall on mine - it was about 10 or so yrs cant remember, didnt have receipt, sent them the info and had a check for like 145 bucks in like 45 days - they sent a kit for the return of power cord cutoff etc....

https://www.cpsc.gov/search?search_api_fulltext=humidifier recall&page=1

you can google there we models like sunbeam, gree, honeywell, duracraft, a whole potload of them

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

You need a heat pump water heater. 

A good idea but the resistance electric is only two years old. The last one, same Rheems, lasted ten and may have lasted longer had I replaced the anode.

I hadn't thought of a heat pump unit and when the last one started peeing and I was scheduled for a trip it was just easy to replace it with same. Drain, uncouple, swap fittings, wire, done and on my way somewhere.

What's your experience with heat pump WH?

IMG_2869.thumb.png.5dd43fcc9f92d1d25e5de4670f9120be.pngI bought this one in the spring 2023.  So far so good. Had been using 10/15 pint machines.  The oldest one lasted the longest. Was used when I got it.   
I just decided to buy an industrial level one and see if it last longer.     Will see. 

it going to the curb /parts   we'll see if end up paying to scrap it'

elec is $ .45 a unit ,$1.25 if your slammed and it takes 4-6 mo to get back+ fees

$.45 @ 4500 being the fixed PC /pirates portion/yr if NO one is here. add people, time of year ,devises etc 8K

NG is $4 unit

Ac tech has been here 6-8 x, in ANY form its definitely not the answer or cure,in the 50 yrs we had it,max run < 10 days yr dont care for it or the $12-15/day costs

still need dehumidify and desiccant pots

WHF ran 40 yrs <$.30/day   new pc motor  = $.40 /hr  need one of those test gadgets to see exactly $$, and maybe a/several wave sync for the others.

15 hours ago, New Englander said:

A good idea but the resistance electric is only two years old. The last one, same Rheems, lasted ten and may have lasted longer had I replaced the anode.

I hadn't thought of a heat pump unit and when the last one started peeing and I was scheduled for a trip it was just easy to replace it with same. Drain, uncouple, swap fittings, wire, done and on my way somewhere.

What's your experience with heat pump WH?

We have done dozens, and currently NH is offering rebates, maybe 6-700 bucks? Just bought a 50 gallon Rheem for 1700 bucks +$600 rebates, an easy 75% savings for hot water costs, plus you aren’t paying to run a dehumidifier all year. 

45 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We have done dozens, and currently NH is offering rebates, maybe 6-700 bucks? Just bought a 50 gallon Rheem for 1700 bucks +$600 rebates, an easy 75% savings for hot water costs, plus you aren’t paying to run a dehumidifier all year. 

dehumidifier is only 67* and above,55*-65* you have to deal with it other ways.

even at $4 unit  24/7 hot water is +- $.60/day   sewer bill is ridiculous and now thats 1.5x over 160 units,like to know what they are and how 2 people can be over?  new PC meter.......

If you go ductless AC, do not buy Fujitsu.  I put them all thru my house and have had rotted coils in all the multi zone units.  Known issue, they don’t make a replacement coil that’s better.  Multizone systems are more trouble.   One goes and they all do.  I will say that everyone I know has had better luck than I have with any brand but Fujitsu.  One to one and non multizone is way more reliable and less prone to failure according to my hvac repair guys.  

Midea is a brand of very high efficiency window AC units.  I have a coworker that has gone on a lot about his.  I put an LG in the shop’s insulated room.  It’s not very efficient.   Both made in China.  I may go Midea u shaped window units in the house when the multizone ductless goes out of warranty.  

i use a GE standup dehumidifier in the shop with a pump.  Line is in the sink drain.  Works great for five years and then needs replaced.  Also made in China.  

7 hours ago, mmi said:

dehumidifier is only 67* and above,55*-65* you have to deal with it other ways.

even at $4 unit  24/7 hot water is +- $.60/day   sewer bill is ridiculous and now thats 1.5x over 160 units,like to know what they are and how 2 people can be over?  new PC meter.......

With math like that i see what you mean.