SeanP

I pulled the plug on the clutch housing today to drain some hydraulic fluid on my 1486 and only 1.5 or 2 gallons of oil came out. Yet when I pull the dip stick on the back of the tractor the fluid level reads nearly full. Is this normal? 

How level is the tractor and which of the 2 plugs on that housing did you pull? How full was it to start? Starting full on the level front plug. About 5 gallon maybe a little more depending how long you let it drain. Doesn't take much uphill slant to reduce that considerable.

When the system is full, you will get most of a 5 gallon bucket from that plug

Check your dipstick top -- where the stop is crimped to the stick, and see if the stop is in  between the crimps

Should be 5 buckets come out of that tractor when you remove all the plugs

You may need to heat the plugs some (propane or mapp) on the rear housing -- IH used a sealant that hardened, and made those plugs difficult to remove -- use Tef tape when you go back, and don't over tighten

• Like 1

Doubt you'll get   5 buckets of oil out unless he's running it overfull which I do , I think 24 gallon is the recommended amount on them

86 series transmission dipsticks often get off as described by hydrotek.

The service manual has the procedure to calibrate the dipstick. I have a 1486 that is 5 gallons low when the dipstick says full!

Yeah, that tube on the inside is easy to bend when messing with the PTO -- best to remove the tube and check for straight

if the stick is loose at the top, where the stop is -- replace or brass the stop cup back in place

also the stick needs to be straight -- seen some like a pretzel -- and wonder why it reads wrong

The 86 series service manual has illustrations for the proper full fluid level so the dipstick tube can be adjusted to the proper reading.

One item of note is the instruction to shorten the dipstick to prevent the "it's showing on the stick so it'll be okay to do this chore" mentality running the transmission dangerously low on fluid.

Hydraulic Fluid Level Section 14 Page 116.JPG

• Thanks 3

That's splitting hairs lol most that achieves is a gallon more or less the dipstick tubes on 86 series tractors never change unless they have been damaged or taken out for some reason or the dipstick itself has been changed , I run them overfull 3-5 gallon Axle bearings have always been problems on them preload adjustment  is very critical on them axle bearings I jack mine up and check for axle movement every so often

• Like 1