Sleeves and rings for D350 engine?

Gnarlodious

Hello! I have on the farm a 1948 TD-9 that has been sitting broke down for at least 25 years. I took the head off and the gasket leaked so corrosion is pretty significant. I measured the bore and it is 4.5", while the stock engine was 4.4". This engine (D350) evidently came out of a model SWD9 farm tractor and was installed by my grandfather back in the late 1950s. The pistons are stamped ‘1039’ and marked ‘std’. Can anyone verify I am on the right track? Is there any chance of finding sleeves and rings for this engine? Recommendations?

Thanks guys for the suggestions. At this point I should positively identify this engine. I can't measure the stroke since it is rusted up in two cylinders:

Damage.thumb.jpg.f7e8ee7b970dd7d513783bcc186019b8.jpg 

I found a specs page that says a later model TD9 with Series 91 engine (made from 1956 to 1959) has a 4.50 bore, so this engine might have come out of a later model TD-9. I read serial number on the firewall 30992 T7BM which means 1948, however my grandfather's brother was a professional heavy equipment mechanic who got him the machine and then they painted it yellow and who knows what else they did to it. I did wire-brush above the injection pump to look for some alleged engine model but none there. I can remember my grandpa saying it is a 6v system, and I remember seeing a 6v battery in it when I was young. Anyone can advise on how to identify this engine?

3 hours ago, mmi said:

actual cast # and date on block and then still measure 3x

Where on the block is the casting number and date? Looks like it has collected oil and dust for decades and I'd rather not wire brush the entire block looking for a number.

HT shows the serial # usually  near the long side corners of x y z block

look over the rest of the machine for large # xxx-xxx-rx and date tab examples

on block long side nearer to center of mass  top center bottom where it worked best in the sand

I found it under layers of rust, grease and dirt! Above the injection pump freeze cover just under the top deck, TDCBM 22500:

TDCBM22500.thumb.JPG.d10e9f298ac1c1152cc706b3f5e5342e.JPG

What does it mean?

I also uncovered a number of nickel welds on the cast iron above the pump, maybe it cracked and they repaired it?

IMG_9050.thumb.JPG.596ed31ea9d623ffa1e33a04c547b366.JPG

That wouldn't surprise me since the freeze cover was replaced with a copper sheet.

UPDATE! From the engine number I determined it is a 335ci built in 1945. That means it should measure a 4.4" bore, but actually reads 4.478. I don't have an inside micrometer so this caliper is approximate. This must mean the engine was rebuilt with a 4.5" oversize sleeve & pistons, right?

Bore4_478.thumb.JPG.66b2fd255747dfaaad2b540dc575e61a.JPG

Edited by Gnarlodious
New info

It looks like you have the concave "indented"  piston top like my TD9-91 D350 engine pistons. Mine are stamped 267 259 R3. Yes, it appears yours was "upgraded" with overbore sleeves and 4.5 pistons.  The attached chart might help you.

335vs350blockbore.jpg

Pistons shouldn't look like this one.

20210529_114349.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help. After pricing the parts, two sleeves, pistons and rings coming to almost $3,000, it looks like this repair will have to wait until next year. Unless we can find a cheaper solution. If you are around far north Idaho, NW Montana or SW Alberta and have an engine for sale, please contact me.

If you are in Alberta just find a WD9 tractor for a donor engine, depending what you are going to do with it I would even look for a gas engine

18 hours ago, hardtail said:

If you are in Alberta just find a WD9 tractor for a donor engine, depending what you are going to do with it I would even look for a gas engine

...I have two OEM  sets of   91 series   pistons  and liners.....have one good engine awaiting a set...but my  "' two  week"" stint at the Rainbow Station has morphed into   58 months....thus far.......

Mike

...and its raining ...again..this morning

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi all. I see this string is a year old, but I'm in the same boat and looking for used parts.   Can't justify the price of new.  I have 3 good cylinders and sleeves.   Looking for a4th.  

I think mine have the indent and we're stick for a350.  Calipers claimed a 4.45 bore but I'll double check as I was rushing to leave when I put calipers on it.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 1:46 AM, highprarie said:

Hi all. I see this string is a year old, but I'm in the same boat and looking for used parts.   Can't justify the price of new.  I have 3 good cylinders and sleeves.   Looking for a4th.  

I think mine have the indent and we're stick for a350.  Calipers claimed a 4.45 bore but I'll double check as I was rushing to leave when I put calipers on it.   

The Super WD9, 650 and 600 IH tractors had the same engine according to the spec./data sheets. Add the UD350 power unit to that list. Very few places left where you can get new parts as noted above.

Finding a used tractor (or dozer) is an option and one I recently used when I bought another TD9-91 series. So with two 91 series and one of the older TD9 pre 1956 models I now have 3. Options are to use the older one as a parts machine and have two up and running. Worst case scenario- one running and two for parts.

Good luck with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

CHASEIH has a used engine but there is no location on his Avatar. See earlier post by him.