Jump to content

PEX B for 125# air line.


Mr. Plow

Recommended Posts

Anybody successfully use PEX B (3/4") for compressed air line?  I have some left over from running water to new building and am seriously considering running a continuous run up over the trusses for a remote air drop near bench.  No fittings in attic, no UV exposure,  and under 20" of fiberglass blown in insulation. 

Thoughts?   Anyone done it long term successfully?

Might put pipe up there anyway,  but want your input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never could understand why people do stuff.......

Do it right, and do it once. Electric = correct gauge wire, correct switches/outlets, use conduit.

                                               Air = use pipe and correct fittings.

You are done, you are safe, and you never need to worry. That's all I have to say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Place we work is all pex for air, but i am 99%sure it is rated at 300psi. It is also orange coated and has some mention of air on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whole shop air done with pex, 3/4 inch  IIRC.  2- 80 gallon 5 hp compressors 100ft away in seperate building hooked together at 175 PSI.  Did a lot of investigation before using it, even asked in this forum IIRC. No issues yet, nice, neat, easy  to use.  Would do it again. Wont explode like PVC as it does not create static electricity when air flows through it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Holy #### Batman, what are you running that you need a 3/4" line???

It left over from water line install.....it's just sitting there staring at me saying...."I'd make cheap air line...." 😀

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dads706 said:

Never could understand why people do stuff.......

Do it right, and do it once. Electric = correct gauge wire, correct switches/outlets, use conduit.

                                               Air = use pipe and correct fittings.

You are done, you are safe, and you never need to worry. That's all I have to say.

I may very well buy a RapidAir kit....just looking for experiences from those here because as I understand it, quite a few have used it successfully.   I'm not running any PVC or CPVC.....I dont have any interest in making a bomb.

Honestly I'm about 50/50 on just running RapidAir anyway. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t have a problem using PEX for airline.  RapidAir will be considerably easier to work with though;  I’ve handled both.  

I would not use anything smaller than 3/4” for air line.

PVC/CPVC huge no no for air.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Place we work is all pex for air, but i am 99%sure it is rated at 300psi. It is also orange coated and has some mention of air on it. 

I think that pex is rated for hot water boiler systems

in floor heating

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the PEX-B will work just fine for your airline, but what fittings will you use?they are where you could have issues.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I think the PEX-B will work just fine for your airline, but what fittings will you use?they are where you could have issues.

  

I have PEX install tools, brass fittings with copper crush rings.   No sharkbite type stuff.

If i go that route I will also probably use hard pipe (black iron or copper) drops to avoid damage to plastic in shop environment.    I'm really just looking at the long run across the shop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t see how it won’t work.  And it’s already paid for.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the 3/4 inch rapidair kit in my new shop. that stuff is so easy to install its ridiculous.......

I used 2 of their 100 foot kits and i have drops everywhere now

 

20190202_140909.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Old-F20 said:

I used the 3/4 inch rapidair kit in my new shop. that stuff is so easy to install its ridiculous.......

I used 2 of their 100 foot kits and i have drops everywhere now

 

20190202_140909.jpg

Beautiful shop! I’m an orphan if you want to adopt me…🥳

Are those welding curtains in the corner?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...