Active weather night in the Sandhills

sandhiller

4 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

We were supposed to have rain or storms all weekend. 

The rain gauge registered dust and a spider. 

😄 Sorry you didn’t get anything. I like your rain gauge reading, I’ve been in that situation so far this summer.

59 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Did you get anything overnight Saturday night or early Sunday morning?

Woke up to 1.5 in the gauge this morning, definitely will help for a few days

Finally got a bit this morning.   Got 4/10.    Better than nothing!

Was watching the Omaha TV weather and thought of you Jeff. Figured it would go north of Lorenzo.

Here we got 2/10. Our farm a half mile south got 9/10 on the south side and 3/10 on the north side. I can sit on my porch and watch it rain there. By morning you could kick up dust on the 9/10's farm. Here you didn't even know it  rained. As usual, I must have pissed off the big guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dads706 said:

Was watching the Omaha TV weather and thought of you Jeff. Figured it would go north of Lorenzo.

Here we got 2/10. Our farm a half mile south got 9/10 on the south side and 3/10 on the north side. I can sit on my porch and watch it rain there. By morning you could kick up dust on the 9/10's farm. Here you didn't even know it  rained. As usual, I must have pissed off the big guy.

Added another half inch to the .42 

The heavy rain helped drop the heads on the needle and thread grass  so I can start haying but want to wean fall calves first.

The rain allows me to put it off haying for a bit

I usually start around July first so it's getting here fast

Another nice little rain coming in just as I finished changing oil in the last windmill

Welcome change from the last couple of years

Screenshot_20230626-090412.thumb.png.336972788be5541205e2a806737aa48b.png

• Like 1

....too much rain here...so much in fact that it has  virtually  stopped  the development work  with the track machine' s....because of the mud .....

..creek blown out ...yet again....

Mike

IMG_2379.JPG

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

....too much rain here...so much in fact that it has  virtually  stopped  the development work  with the track machine' s....because of the mud .....

..creek blown out ...yet again....

Mike

IMG_2379.JPG

Dang Mike you regale tales of your many watery adventures.

Have you ever lost a machine to deep and or fast water or bottomless mud?

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Dang Mike you regale tales of your many watery adventures.

Have you ever lost a machine to deep and or fast water or bottomless mud?

....years ago, working down the West Coast  in the Forestry...with Macks and Michigan loader...there was a huge adjacent swamp  in which  was  this Excavator....a Massey Ferguson    ......it had slipped off the mats ...and killed the 6-354  Perkins...so the crew had run two auxiliary inch lines....about fifty yards  each one  to feed ''power''   back into the otherwise dead machine....It almost made it back onto the mats ...but not quite...due to the difficulty of operating   with this auxiliary feed...forget the finer detail....but it completely disappeared     and was hauled out of the then, reclaimed swamp, years later....scrap value only...  The Swamp was 12 foot deep in places..but as it dried it settled down to a few feet deep....Normal  procedure...

I personally ''lost'' our EX150 Hitachi  in a   ''roll over'' in a swamp adjacent to the high tide mark ...bit of a drama to get it out,,but had D4D  and another 15 ton excavator......no pictures,....I owed , at the time far to many dollars on it   to mess about taking pictures ...sadly  !!!

Mike

post-157-1214989332.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

....years ago, working down the West Coast  in the Forestry...with Macks and Michigan loader...there was a huge adjacent swamp  in which  was  this Excavator....a Massey Ferguson    ......it had slipped off the mats ...and killed the 6-354  Perkins...so the crew had run two auxiliary inch lines....about fifty yards  each one  to feed ''power''   back into the otherwise dead machine....It almost made it back onto the mats ...but not quite...due to the difficulty of operating   with this auxiliary feed...forget the finer detail....but it completely disappeared     and was hauled out of the then, reclaimed swamp, years later....scrap value only...  The Swamp was 12 foot deep in places..but as it dried it settled down to a few feet deep....Normal  procedure...

I personally ''lost'' our EX150 Hitachi  in a   ''roll over'' in a swamp adjacent to the high tide mark ...bit of a drama to get it out,,but had D4D  and another 15 ton excavator......no pictures,....I owed , at the time far to many dollars on it   to mess about taking pictures ...sadly  !!!

Mike

post-157-1214989332.jpg

I would say for the seat time hours you have accumulated and some of the conditions you work in, that is a pretty good record!

• Like 2

Been kinda brutal here tonight. We got some pea to marble sized hail and a decent amount of rain. We’ve also gotten a lot of thunder and lightning plus some wind. 

There was a tornado in Kimball, Nebraska tonight I saw……

75308B1C-60AD-4F24-B893-C9FC8B62FDB2.thumb.png.5cb668cbb7b525d0d81a03d22e72d489.png

3 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Been kinda brutal here tonight. We got some pea to marble sized hail and a decent amount of rain. We’ve also gotten a lot of thunder and lightning plus some wind. 

There was a tornado in Kimball, Nebraska tonight I saw……

75308B1C-60AD-4F24-B893-C9FC8B62FDB2.thumb.png.5cb668cbb7b525d0d81a03d22e72d489.png

Watched those go by me on the north and south

Hope your hail didn't do too much damage

• Like 2

Just now, sandhiller said:

Watched those go by me on the north and south

Hope your hail didn't do too much damage

We’ll see tomorrow, we (my family) aren’t farmers but dad and I know enough about it and we help with wheat harvest (not to mention other crops that can be affected) to know it’s not good when hail hits. Wheat around here is looking so good and farmers need the profits. I’m sure around our area wheat will start July 5-10. Almost there!🤞

• Like 2

I watched this live stream off 'n' on yesterday & was quite impressed with the form on this one out by Bushnell. Quite the photogenic monster!

Also saw a notification for this one this morning. They were at a good close distance to catch it forming.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

We’ll see tomorrow, we (my family) aren’t farmers but dad and I know enough about it and we help with wheat harvest (not to mention other crops that can be affected) to know it’s not good when hail hits. Wheat around here is looking so good and farmers need the profits. I’m sure around our area wheat will start July 5-10. Almost there!🤞

What town you near? My daughter and future son in law live in Greeley and he is an assistant manager at the 5 rivers feedlot in Kersey.

12 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

What town you near? My daughter and future son in law live in Greeley and he is an assistant manager at the 5 rivers feedlot in Kersey.

I see, I got to tour 5 Rivers a few years ago. That will be a good job for him. I live around Sterling, so an hour and a half from Greeley. About an hour or little more I think from Kersey. 

Well here we go again

Glad I haven't started haying yet🤠

Screenshot_20230629-180002.thumb.png.39aeffbba96ac8b39e5589387de36e95.png

I'm on my way back from Lincoln.

The boys down there said the storm that went south of me last night gave them .30".

I know it ain't much but hope it pops the lid off for more general widespread rains for @lorenzo's country 

Seems like once you get that first rain, the second one comes easier 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Well here we go again

Glad I haven't started haying yet🤠

Screenshot_20230629-180002.thumb.png.39aeffbba96ac8b39e5589387de36e95.png

I'm on my way back from Lincoln.

The boys down there said the storm that went south of me last night gave them .30".

I know it ain't much but hope it pops the lid off for more general widespread rains for @lorenzo's country 

Seems like once you get that first rain, the second one comes easier 

This AM we had a whole bunch of lightning, and house shaking thunder along with a whopping .20 of rain. Supposed to get another storm friday.

• Like 2

Finally got a rain today. An even inch did a lot of good. Missed a good one earlier tonight. Had golf ball sized hail inside it. This pic is from my front walk facing NE

006CAC1A-E010-45D5-B430-57FFA3039DCB.jpeg

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Finally got a rain today. An even inch did a lot of good. Missed a good one earlier tonight. Had golf ball sized hail inside it. This pic is from my front walk facing NE

006CAC1A-E010-45D5-B430-57FFA3039DCB.jpeg

Beautiful!! Thanks for posting it.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Wound up with 1.23"  out of the storm that went through last night

Wednesday night had bad hail in our area. Took out crops that looked really good. I’m hoping some will pull through and be half way decent. There is some hay laying down in front of our house.  

1 hour ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Wednesday night had bad hail in our area. Took out crops that looked really good. I’m hoping some will pull through and be half way decent. There is some hay laying down in front of our house.  

Sorry to hear that, we have been lucky with the hail so far 

With the heavy rains, i think we will start seeing hay down also, not the worst if you mow with a swather but will be rough for those that still use bar mowers. 

The forecast is calling for rain most of next week and I am wanting to start haying but hate to lay it down if I know it will get rained on. 

Most around here are hoping to start in on the meadows maybe by next weekend (not this weekend)

Me thinks me sees a pattern🥺

Wish I could take a raincheck on this one to use later this summer 

Screenshot_20230630-204340.thumb.png.3e355f4a3835cd50e000844b87af6886.png

Lot of rain in flyover country

Hope it holds together as it moves east to help you guys that need it.