Farmall H wobble

ISP1086

Is the gear tight on the shaft? Take the lid off and turn the steering wheel back and forth while observing. If the gear moves a bit before the shaft does you can eliminate a lot of the wobble there. Beer can shim time.

Make sure the universal joint in the steering shaft is tight. Replace if loose.

From there the work and expense goes up. Bushings and seals in the front steering post need to be replaced. That's a bit of work to accomplish as you need to support the front end of the tractor, remove the front end, drop the shaft down and out of the post.

• Thanks 1

I can only imagine what IH wants for that big thrust bearing and bushing that goes in the bottom of the bolster.

Then the top bushing would need to be replaced too.

Basically, if a shaft turns in it, replace the bushing or bearing.

They are right, it is a heck of a job.

I have the full circle top bolster driven gear and that gives almost infinite unused spots to run on. 

I then used the wedge on my H and it will still wobble a small amount if things are right.