House breaking a pup.

vtfireman85

This has been and continues to be a struggle, and I am looking for suggestions. Going on 8 weeks since we brought this puppy home, I have house trained several dogs, and done so successfully and in a relatively short time, a couple weeks, tops. I expect accidents, shes still little but I feel like i have made virtually no gains. 

We started off with puppy pads, wherever she happened to be, in the crate, on the floor next to me, in her little “excersize pen” we keep in the kitchen so she can be somewhat contained when she needs to be in the house. In the vehicles too. She doesn’t seem to go number 2 in the house anymore, it was a real struggle for several weeks, but she’s fairly regular at this point and as such, either because I have managed to get into her head that we do that outside or if just that I take her out with regularity its been a long while since there has been a pile, but it’s puddles, constantly! Every time I turn my back, and not over by the door, here, there, everywhere. We keep her restricted to the hardwood floor areas of the house, for obvious reasons, but she doesn’t seem to understand how to tell me she has to go, or even that she should. Tonight we went out about 8:30 put the ducks away, she had ample time to go, though i didn’t pay close attention she does seem to get it that we pee when we go out, sometimes I pee too. Fell asleep in my chair watching TV about 1030 tonight and woke up At midnight, she appeared to have been on her bed the whole time right next to me. When I stood up I stepped in a puddle, I try to take her to her puddles and we discuss how disappointed I am in her, then go outside and don’t come in until she pees again. I wish I had stock in Lysol cleaner and Swiffer Wet cloths because we are driving their success currently. Shes peed twice in my truck so far. We take away her water in the evening, after dinner. I hate doing that, but otherwise she camels up and pees in her crate at night. 
I apologize for the long rant about puppy potty habits, but i am frustrated and desperate, I can’t live like this and am searching for a good solution. 

Befor anyone suggests it, I am not at the shooting her stage yet, after the initial purchase, and subsequent equipment purchases, vet bills, etc, I am a little too heavily invested for that. 
Are there any dog whisperers our there in Tractor Land? 

29 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

This has been and continues to be a struggle, and I am looking for suggestions. Going on 8 weeks since we brought this puppy home, I have house trained several dogs, and done so successfully and in a relatively short time, a couple weeks, tops. I expect accidents, shes still little but I feel like i have made virtually no gains. 

We started off with puppy pads, wherever she happened to be, in the crate, on the floor next to me, in her little “excersize pen” we keep in the kitchen so she can be somewhat contained when she needs to be in the house. In the vehicles too. She doesn’t seem to go number 2 in the house anymore, it was a real struggle for several weeks, but she’s fairly regular at this point and as such, either because I have managed to get into her head that we do that outside or if just that I take her out with regularity its been a long while since there has been a pile, but it’s puddles, constantly! Every time I turn my back, and not over by the door, here, there, everywhere. We keep her restricted to the hardwood floor areas of the house, for obvious reasons, but she doesn’t seem to understand how to tell me she has to go, or even that she should. Tonight we went out about 8:30 put the ducks away, she had ample time to go, though i didn’t pay close attention she does seem to get it that we pee when we go out, sometimes I pee too. Fell asleep in my chair watching TV about 1030 tonight and woke up At midnight, she appeared to have been on her bed the whole time right next to me. When I stood up I stepped in a puddle, I try to take her to her puddles and we discuss how disappointed I am in her, then go outside and don’t come in until she pees again. I wish I had stock in Lysol cleaner and Swiffer Wet cloths because we are driving their success currently. Shes peed twice in my truck so far. We take away her water in the evening, after dinner. I hate doing that, but otherwise she camels up and pees in her crate at night. 
I apologize for the long rant about puppy potty habits, but i am frustrated and desperate, I can’t live like this and am searching for a good solution. 

Befor anyone suggests it, I am not at the shooting her stage yet, after the initial purchase, and subsequent equipment purchases, vet bills, etc, I am a little too heavily invested for that. 
Are there any dog whisperers our there in Tractor Land? 

We kind of went through this with our chocolate lab. Ultimately just took time. He’s good now and hasn’t made a mess in the house in close to 6 months.  Locking him in his kennel at night definitely helped. He wouldn’t mess in there at all. Eventually just kind of figured it out that he has to go outside which led to the next problem. He was lazy and would go in front of the deck next to the step lol. That has gotten better now though too and you don’t have to watch where you step as closely anymore. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

.......good luck, Seth......don't give in or you might replicate this situation....:)

Mike

image007.jpg

Rule 10 there

Progressive Rules for the Dog

First the dog is not allowed in the house

Then the dog is allowed in some rooms in the house, but only under supervision

The dog is allowed in all rooms in the house, but only under supervision

The dog is allowed in all rooms in the house, but must keep off the furniture

The dog is allowed only on the old furniture.

The dog is allowed on the old furniture, but must keep off the bed

The dog is allowed on the bed, but not under the blankets.

The dog is allowed under the blankets, but only on a cold night.

The people are allowed in the bed as long as they don't disturb the dog.

Author unknown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m two weeks into my new puppy as well. It’s not going as easy as it did last time, but it was also 10 years ago and I was younger then.  Mine stays dry in his crate all night (6 hours) and has progressed to making only one spot on the pee pad where he is locked in the kitchen during the day alone for 8, however, as soon as my wife or I are home in the evening he needs to go outside 5x over the course of only three or four hours or he will pee on the floor 5x.

fortunately  he has  been perfect with only pooping outside.  

My wife is a teacher of young children. As far as I can tell, working with the puppy is still easier. It will improve. We must be persistent. I will not have a crate at night time or a gate on the kitchen eventually

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I will not have a crate at night time or a gate on the kitchen eventually

With our last dog we eventually did away with her crate, she was just sleeping in it with the door open, i like the 6’ diameter pens, i feel much better about keeping them in them all day while i am at work than i do a crate. 

Our last dog was a female mastiff cross, beautiful looking dog but the dumbest dog I've ever owned, she slept in the porch in the evening but was pretty easy to house train, good luck 😊

Might be harder the older they get? 

I arranged the whole breeding process  so i got pick of the litter . Emma’s mom was my sister in-laws, her dad is my sisters . Did the whole thing, watched her be born ect.., 

Vet’s all say wait until they are 8 weeks old before you take them away from their mother so we did but i kidnapped her for a one night sleepover at 6 weeks.  She learned to fetch and use potty bells in one afternoon and has never had an accident in the house. She is 3 1/2 now and has never been left alone or put n a crate. Even when were traveling Grandma has her and is never left alone.  The bells hang on the door knob and they are the best thing you can teach them in my opinion. Also having the time to be with them 24/7 makes a difference.

Dolly was terribly slow with house breaking. We dealt with puddles nearly 6 months. She spent most of the time outside at that point, so we really didn’t get started house training until she was older, but I would have sworn she was untrainable. 
Take heart, Seth! We have all been there. 

• Like 1

Just a quick thought, check with your vet if there is any possibility of a minor urinary infection. I have a a pup or 2 over the years that seemed to pee every 10 minutes, a little medication and they stopped peeing all the time.

I've got a three year old Aussie male that marks his territory in the house at times. I know it doesn't help he isn't cut yet and also have a 7 year old Aussie on top of that.  But he did pick up not peeing in the house perty quick.

Our youngest dog was fairly easy to train. We would keep an eye on her and catch her in the act, yell NO and carry her outside. Did that for about a week. She’s a little over a year and a half old now and quit peeing in the house after that week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Might be harder the older they get? 

I arranged the whole breeding process  so i got pick of the litter . Emma’s mom was my sister in-laws, her dad is my sisters . Did the whole thing, watched her be born ect.., 

Vet’s all say wait until they are 8 weeks old before you take them away from their mother so we did but i kidnapped her for a one night sleepover at 6 weeks.  She learned to fetch and use potty bells in one afternoon and has never had an accident in the house. She is 3 1/2 now and has never been left alone or put n a crate. Even when were traveling Grandma has her and is never left alone.  The bells hang on the door knob and they are the best thing you can teach them in my opinion. Also having the time to be with them 24/7 makes a difference.

My vet recommended the bells, its a good idea, trouble is that the toddler also thinks they are cool…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

My vet recommended the bells, its a good idea, trouble is that the toddler also thinks they are cool…

Maybe work for her too?😊🤪
Lisa is not real child friendly and won’t play with kids until they are “house broke” ! Her term for potty trained. 

• Haha 4

Years ago I came across a dog training book by the trainer for many of the animals shown on in movies, Lassie being one of them.  One of his secrets was to not spend time on animals that do not respond to whatever you are trying  to accomplish, he had some sort of simple test he would give them and failure meant back to the breeder or pound where they came from. My Mother had a similar approach, dogs stay in the yard, so long as they don't crap on the front porch they are fine. With 6 kids at home Mom didn't have much time for dog psychology!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oleman said:

Years ago I came across a dog training book by the trainer for many of the animals shown on in movies, Lassie being one of them.  One of his secrets was to not spend time on animals that do not respond to whatever you are trying  to accomplish, he had some sort of simple test he would give them and failure meant back to the breeder or pound where they came from. My Mother had a similar approach, dogs stay in the yard, so long as they don't crap on the front porch they are fine. With 6 kids at home Mom didn't have much time for dog psychology!

Well, since all of that is out the window, i will continue looking for other solutions. 

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Now you have a sense of what your mother endured with you...karma.

2 hours ago, red2thebone sr said:

Question is, did she succeed?

Semi..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you can catch them in the act, say No/Bad and then stick their nose in it. Then outside to finish the job. What also seems to help is to take them out frequently and encourage them to pee/poo before any playtime outside. Reward outside pee/poo with a little playtime. Rinse repeat. 

our current dog had very few accidents in the house. The wife was at home that winter and between the 2 of us he was taken outside every couple hours, Thats impossible for most people but it worked well for us

• Like 1