Broken Diagonal Brace on 1950 TD-9, Safe to Drive it?

I have a 1950 TD-9 dozer/dresser that has a broken right side diagonal brace. The brace bolts broke at the mount point on the front right side where it bolts to the track frame, dropped down, and then pushed up and broke the yoke mount where the bushing are. I have two questions…

First, as long as I keep the dozer on reasonably flat ground can i safely drive it to a better location where I can work on it more easily. I don't see why I can’t but I thought I’d ask this group who has more experience with these kinds of issues. The TD-9 is so old I doubt the diagonal brace was doing much “vertical alignment” anyway. But I don’t want to create more damage.

Second, does anyone have any ides of where I can get a replacement part? Or am I going to have to machine replacements for the broken bearing housing and brace clamp myself.

I need to get this dozer rolling again so I look forward to your collective wisdom!

I'm trying to picture this "diagonal brace" but I'm drawing a blank. Is this part of the tractor? Or part of the dozer blade? If its part of the blade what make is the blade? Bucyrus Erie?

Got any pictures?

Where are you located? I know of some salvage machines but might be too far from you.

Ah! Ok, I recognize that piece. I can't answer how critical it is but the salvage yard I know of is closer to you than I thought. I was at Fresno Tractor just outside of Fresno, California last year and they have a whole yard of just old machines. A whole area of the old IH stuff I am quite certain you will find one out there. I can't say the prices were great, and they never called me back when I called about something. But they had what I needed when I made the drive.

Also FP Smith in Fairfield, CA has some old IH crawler parts but I have not visited them in person yet.

General Gear in Idaho has a lot of parts. 1-800-531-9021.

DWF

...if it was me ....faced with that very unusual issue.....I would reverse that machine back to where you could work on the repair, more easily....the rational being any ''miss-alignment''...by running the old  9 , without its diagonal brace,  would be minimised.....

I guess  those set studs have snapped off in the track frame...hence the need to get the Tractor near a work shop facility...??...that could be fun  ..!!

...I have several TD 9 carcasses  at home here....price would be right ...but the freight   would be  miserable...!!!

Mike

• Like 2

Well… I fired it up and roll forward out of the muddy spot it was in to a road base gravely area about 40 feet ahead. When I stopped and took a look from the front the left track (driver point of view) looked fine as expected but the right track was obviously tilted out at the top. To get to the gravel area I had to turn to the left a bit so that probably caused the track to pivot a bit, so a little forward/backward helped plumb it up a bit, but it’s still leaning a few few inches out at the top. Guess I’ll be working on it right there. I was considering chaining the track frame on the right side to the engine housing to temporarily hold it vertical, but I’d need to roll the dozer about a mile down a driveway (jeep trail) on the side of a mountain, and if it broke down anywhere on that “road” I would be blocked and unable to get to and from my cabin, so it’s not worth the risk.

After cleaning up the broken parts I was disappointed to see that they are cast iron and probably not fixable by v-groveling and welding. But it looks like i just need to replacement part and not an entire assembly.

Here’s how it looks…

i might be able to fabricate the outer cap using flat steel stock, but the bearing housing will be more problematic. Going to make some calls and see if I can find old parts, and if not I’ll talk to a machine shop…ugh.

IMG_4678.jpeg

IMG_4681.jpeg

IMG_4680.jpeg

IMG_4679.jpeg

Another salvage yard that has lots of IH parts is Associated Tractor in Stockton.  Check the pined documents at the top of this board.  I would not try to fix the damaged parts as they should be easy to come by at a salvage yard.  Not something that typically fails or wears out.

Ended up buying the replacement parts from Fresno Tractor…not cheep though. $250 for the clamp, $225 for the bearing housing, and $36 for a set of new felts. With shipping was about $600. Yikes! Now I’m dealing with extracting the broken bolts on the track side. What a PITA…

IMG_4693.jpeg

IMG_4692.jpeg

A neighbour uses stainless rods for that job and introduced me to  the technique.  If you start the arc in the centre of the bolt the flux stops contact with the female thread as you build up.  Then weld a nut on, add plenty of your lube of choice and rock back and forward till you feel the bolt crack.  He will go down deep and build up - I'm not  that game as yet.

Lay a flat washer on the casting, use what ever welding rod. Built it up until you are welding on the flat washer. Then weld nut on flat washer. The hotter you get it welding the better. When you have all 4 welded up. Take a very long break, until it is cooled. Then spray lub on in. Hit with a impact wrench. If it breaks the weld, just weld it up again with a new washer and nut.  They have all come with that method on a part like that. Way easier to weld it a bunch of times as to drill and break a easy out off in it. I believe it is the heating and cooling cycles that make it come if the first time doesn't get it.

• Like 1

My brother hit a stump with the swather yesterday and broke some 1/2” bolts off in the cutter bar. I had to get them out and thought of this thread. I welded two new 1/2” bolts onto the broken ones with the super missle weld rods I mentioned earlier and spun them right out. 

IMG_0209.thumb.jpeg.0d8b2b1ab3567141b73e03ff6cab81ec.jpeg

IMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.ed3b1b35bdbeb09bfc1a06745958aa51.jpeg

IMG_0211.thumb.jpeg.4dd1660d3902cd579a77614ca64e101f.jpeg

IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.731577a1740bb99993d488a039fd5679.jpeg

IMG_0212.thumb.jpeg.85943d5006a18985ce824a0edc12d396.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

My brother hit a stump with the swather yesterday and broke some 1/2” bolts off in the cutter bar. I had to get them out and thought of this thread. I welded two new 1/2” bolts onto the broken ones with the super missle weld rods I mentioned earlier and spun them right out. 

...did you give your Brother the obligatory   50 lash's  for that outrage, DFP ??:)

Mike

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 6:17 AM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

By the specifications that rod is based on 312 stainless

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

...did you give your Brother the obligatory   50 lash's  for that outrage, DFP ??:)

Mike

You know how hard it is to find good help these days, Mike. I knew that stump was there, because I ripped the floor out of a Deere platform there combining soybeans. Apparently he had forgotten about that experience. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You know how hard it is to find good help these days, Mike. I knew that stump was there, because I ripped the floor out of a Deere platform there combining soybeans. Apparently he had forgotten about that experience. 

Well now he has reason to remember that rock too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Sounds more like this would work -

"

ONE FIFTY LASHES
PALE ALE

OPEN UP THIS PALE ALE FOR CRACKING FLAVOUR AND A REFRESHING FINISH."

https://www.jamessquire.com.au/craft-beer/one-fifty-lashes/

• Like 1