Adjustable Lunette Eyes?

vtfireman85

I have been towing our 12T tri axle trailer a lot with my pickup, it is currently the only large trailer we have, I am planning on getting a 7T, haven’t done it yet. The dump truck hitch is non adjustable, so for proper height adjustment the eye is in the center position on the trailer, using the center 4 of the 8 bolt holes on the trailer tongue. I have a pintle for my truck with a mild rise, perhaps 3”, to sit close to level i have to move the trailer eye down to the lower holes on the tongue. With a cordless impact it really is not a huge deal, but i don’t like constantly torquing and retorquing the eye bolts, so i have been replacing them every few times. 
I want to be able to move the eye up and down, a taller rise hitch would put a tremendous amount of leverage on the receiver in my truck, i don’t have a way of calculating it, but it seems logical the more twisting leverage you have on the platform, particularly downward, the more you reduce the rating of the hitch, also  more than an inch or 2 taller would hit the goofy giant tailgate lip and sooner or later someone is going to forget and drop the tailgate on it.

Any suggestions ? 

Probably the easiest thing do do is make the dump truck pintle the same height as the ideal height of the pickup hitch. Drill 4 holes in the plate if your dump is the same as most. Then leave the lunette in one spot on the trailer. I assume the tongue has several positions for the lunette.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Probably the easiest thing do do is make the dump truck pintle the same height as the ideal height of the pickup hitch. Drill 4 holes in the plate if your dump is the same as most. Then leave the lunette in one spot on the trailer. I assume the tongue has several positions for the lunette.

No can do, dump truck has a receiver hitch also, pintle is where it is is cant go down .

Better order another truck so you can get one the right height for the trailer…. 😁

Just kidding. Not sure a good solution to adjusting it for each vehicle. 

In regard to the bolts they are basically pins so they probably don't need a lot of torque. I would use nylock nuts and just change the nuts when they didn't resist enough. More height will increase leverage on truck. Those small adjustable bolt on pintles may not have the weight rating for a 12T trailer.

12 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

The dump truck hitch is non adjustable,

My good freinds/accomplices Victor and Lincoln (torch and welder) say its adjustable.

49 minutes ago, mader656 said:

My good freinds/accomplices Victor and Lincoln (torch and welder) say its adjustable.

Put a lot of time, effort and a fair investment in building that hitch plate, moving the pintle on the truck would be disadvantageous in addition to not wanting to. I occasionally tow other trailers with that dump truck and it was set to be congruent with a common height found on a tandem dump. 

4 hours ago, acem said:

I've seen pintle hitches for trailers and trucks that are adjustable.

Below are a couple examples I found on the interweb.

image.thumb.png.ef2ce71a7644019926fe62f070354aae.png

image.png

Had the top setup on a lighter trailer, worked fine but wasn’t any quicker, as it still required tools every time. 
I was just hopeful someone had seen something I hadn’t, an idea like the top one might work with pins, but at 24,000 lbs it would need to be awful rugged. 

3 hours ago, int 504 said:

In regard to the bolts they are basically pins so they probably don't need a lot of torque. I would use nylock nuts and just change the nuts when they didn't resist enough. More height will increase leverage on truck. Those small adjustable bolt on pintles may not have the weight rating for a 12T trailer.

The pintle on my pickup is 20K, I would not trust it to 20 K i tow the big trailer because it is what’s available right now, but load it accordingly. The one bolted to the dump truck is a 30K pintle. 

41 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Put a lot of time, effort and a fair investment in building that hitch plate, moving the pintle on the truck would be disadvantageous in addition to not wanting to. I occasionally tow other trailers with that dump truck and it was set to be congruent with a common height found on a tandem dump. 

Fair enough....

Check out the Gen-Y hitch. You said you were concerned about the torque if you raised the hitch on your truck but I think these hitches can withstand it. I assume you can flip it over for rise instead of drop. They are expensive though.

IMG_5011.png

IMG_5009.png

IMG_5008.png

You're overthinking this.

If you look at the pintle plates for your truck, there is NOTHING on them saying anything about de-rating the hitch depending on which position you mount the pintle. You are right that it reduces the capacity, but apparently not by enough for the hitch manufacturer to say anything about it.

If it were a problem, the manufacturer would for sure take CYA measures.

Just get a pintle plate with a higher rise and be done with it.

• Like 1