Golf Cart Only at Red Power Roundup

Rusty_Farmer

Heads up on late news regarding RPRU.....No side by sides! golf carts only as per show grounds rules. This glitch just surfaced and caught  everyone off guard. The club is working to correct this glitch is all I know at this time.

Edited by FarmallFan
Improved topic title
  • Thanks 2

• FarmallFan changed the title to Golf Cart Only at Red Power Roundup

Any insight into how the club will “correct” this? From what I understand the venue is who doesn’t allow side by sides.

I was just chastised for not sending in my Certificate of Insurance from the agent/company.

I sent the normal one, which is the same as your car, which any law enforcement officer would accept.

That is not good enough.

This is elevated to the next step.

I need to go Monday to my agent and get this Certificate of Insurance.

So if you are taking your own cart, make sure you have this Certificate of Insurance from your agent or you will be walking.

The lady was very nice about it and she is just following the orders of some attorney. She is leaving for RPRU Monday morning so expect to find here there.

This is what the website says. Should UTV be removed there too as the lady wanted to make sure I had a golf cart:

Registrant shall provide proof of liability insurance in a minimum of $500,000 per occurrence in the form of a certificate of insurance endorsed “for use of a golf cart (or UTV) on the Fonner Park Grounds Certificates can be e-mailed to sandy.kuester@gmail.com or presented upon arrival at the Round Up.

• Like 1

This is unfortunate as those willing to haul a utv there are saving the available golf cart rentals for those who need them.... 

10 minutes ago, MTO said:

Sure would like to hear the logic behind this call.

It ain't no led Zepplin concert. 

You know the old saying "it only takes a few bad apples."  People that do not drive for heavy crowds, poor mufflers, and general jack wagon-ery.

• Like 1

A few years  ago at Husker Harvest days it got completely out of control a few times and there were more 4 wheelers, golf carts, 8 passenger side by sides , mini  bikes, lawn mowers, scooters, motorized bar stools, and every other kind of people moving contraption that you could imagine going every which direction and since then they have had to clamp down on all that silly nonsense so the “ actual handicap person” can get around the grounds. 
 I for one am dam glad that the governing officials have restricted the use of all that junk . 
Unless your handicapped get off your a$$ and walk.

• Like 17

As someone who walks at these shows I have experienced many people on golf carts or UTV’s who act like they are the only people there and make it miserable /dangerous. I know some can’t walk but many could and it would be much less congested.

• Like 5

I have also been to shows that covered too large an area to walk the entire thing. Half Century of Progress is like that. The former AF base covers over 2000 acres. Not nearly all of that is show grounds but you have probably close to a square mile of attractions. There are days when I walk 8-10 miles in a 12 hour shift and I wouldn’t want to walk this show again. We did once because we didn’t know any better and missed a lot.  

• Like 3

It didn't just happen. The no side by sides info has been in the printed material about the show ever since being posted on RPRU2023 website. I assumed it was a State fairgrounds policy. We'll manage without it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I have also been to shows that covered too large an area to walk the entire thing. Half Century of Progress is like that. The former AF base covers over 2000 acres. Not nearly all of that is show grounds but you have probably close to a square mile of attractions. There are days when I walk 8-10 miles in a 12 hour shift and I wouldn’t want to walk this show again. We did once because we didn’t know any better and missed a lot.  

Half Century is a different deal. Huge area to cover and several events going on at the same time. You want to see as much as possible with the time you have. The first year I attended, I walked it. Swore I'd never do that again😅

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 766 Man said:

You know the old saying "it only takes a few bad apples."  People that do not drive for heavy crowds, poor mufflers, and general jack wagon-ery.

Not to mention a 'slip-and-fall' lawyer behind every tree and bush............

Mike

• Like 2

I'm surprised more venues like this aren't doing something similar. Through the years, this problem has gotten progressively worse at many locations. I fully understand the people that do NEED them, but its a privilege that has gotten abused by those that really do NOT need them. Too many times young kids are operating them in a reckless manner...that also applies to adults, too. And also, too many use them as a status symbol at a show to show that they've got more $$$ than common sense. I watched one guy at RPRU2020 get on/off his UTV to look at 10 tractors parked in a row at EVERY tractor...what was the point of having the UTV?

Like too many things in life, if you give people an inch, they're going to take a mile if they can. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, lorenzo said:

A few years  ago at Husker Harvest days it got completely out of control a few times and there were more 4 wheelers, golf carts, 8 passenger side by sides , mini  bikes, lawn mowers, scooters, motorized bar stools, and every other kind of people moving contraption that you could imagine going every which direction and since then they have had to clamp down on all that silly nonsense so the “ actual handicap person” can get around the grounds. 
 I for one am dam glad that the governing officials have restricted the use of all that junk . 
Unless your handicapped get off your a$$ and walk.

Not doubting your word. 

The problem is the operators, not the vehicles.

Golf carts go fast also. My electric cart buzzes right along and can be dangerous.

Gas ones even faster.

Some attendees prefer NOT to spend $300 to rent a cart for 3 days as I did in Lima. 

Kinda like taking guns from citizens to stop killing. 

Remember the Romans?

Just MAYBE  a handful of security guards or off duty police cruising the grounds removing the  derelict drivers would help, dunno. 

I`m much older than you, not handicapped, but covering such LARGE venues in a day, which is all I ever was able to stay, is not my idea of an enjoyable day.

Hope the show is a success for you guys putting in the long hours for everyone`s enjoyment. 

Speaking of noisy annoying non-golf carts at a roundup, one of our esteemed RPF members haunted the Bloomsburg show for DAYS pulling a train of child filled barrels around in train form with a missing/backfiring stinking lean burning Cub Cadet with a blown out muffler. 

The poor kids along with everyone nearby the train were coughing/gagging and suffered burning eyes from that lean burning ill performing little red tractor!!

Cough! Gag! Hack! Sniff sniff!.............nevermind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Not doubting your word. 

Golf carts go fast also. My electric cart buzzes right along and can be dangerous.

Gas ones even faster.

Some attendees prefer NOT to spend $300 to rent a cart for 3 days as I did in Lima. 

Remember the Romans?

Just MAYBE  a handful of security guards or off duty police cruising the grounds removing the  derelict drivers would help, dunno. 

I`m much older than you, not handicapped, but covering such LARGE venues in a day, which is all I ever was able to stay, is not my idea of an enjoyable day.

Hope the show is a success for you guys putting in the long hours for everyone`s enjoyment. 

Speaking of noisy annoying non-golf carts at a roundup, one of our esteemed RPF members haunted the Bloomsburg show for DAYS pulling a train of child filled barrels around in train form with a missing/backfiring stinking lean burning Cub Cadet with a blown out muffler. 

The poor kids along with everyone nearby the train were coughing/gagging and suffered burning eyes from that lean burning ill performing little red tractor!!

I like the idea of some sort of organized police / security supervision to keep things in check and no doubt its too bad it has ended up this way. 

What’s the best ( All around ) solution for this?   
Perhaps a minimum age to operate event transportation machines? 

Is it really $300  for the rental ? 
Wow. Thats not cool. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MTO said:

Not doubting your word. 

Gas ones even faster.

Remember the Romans?

As a person who is not getting any younger limiting the number and type of vehicle seems like the best approach.  The show organizer's for any event are liable for any actions the security people take.  Some might take it as an invitation to engage those security people for the purpose of getting some kind of cash settlement.  The local tractor show does not have and probably could not afford to hire security.  The county sheriff gets called if there is a problem.  We all want grandpa to enjoy his remaining days doing what he loves best but allowing him mounted access also opens the door for the 38 year old trouble maker aching for an encounter.  

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

The local tractor show does not have and probably could not afford to hire security. 

I think this is honestly a big part of the problem. It takes money to hire this type of security. Additional money that these events aren't running plush in. 

Besides where are you going to find these extra people to work this? Nobody has enough help now. You are going to have to pay a hefty price to get bodies to work and even then some might fake.

As what was said before. A few bad actors ruined it for everyone. A number of us parents have used this aporoach with our kids when things become a problem.  They can't behave, no one gets to have it.

14 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I think this is honestly a big part of the problem. It takes money to hire this type of security. Additional money that these events aren't running plush in. 

Besides where are you going to find these extra people to work this? Nobody has enough help now. You are going to have to pay a hefty price to get bodies to work and even then some might fake.

As what was said before. A few bad actors ruined it for everyone. A number of us parents have used this aporoach with our kids when things become a problem.  They can't behave, no one gets to have it.

I feel lucky that there is an area show knowing how tight things are financially with them.  I go regardless of the featured brand and this year there are two shows with the JD Expo having missed 2021.  It won't be easy footing it around but who knows how much longer these shows will be around or God forbid I am around.  Not an old codger but you never know when your number will be called.  

4 hours ago, MTO said:

And the train lacked pool noodles.... 😁

Esteemed? He looked more like a redneck 😁

In the past, South Dakota has required this Certificate of Insurance.

This sounds like a venue or National IH Collectors Club attorney call.

When you have government owned venues, this problem rears it's ugly head.

UTV's, golf carts and electric handicapped scooters were the only things allowed in SD and seemed to work well.

Come to the National meeting Saturday and ask.

That is how you find out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

In the past, South Dakota has required this Certificate of Insurance.

This sounds like a venue or National IH Collectors Club attorney call.

When you have government owned venues, this problem rears it's ugly head.

UTV's, golf carts and electric handicapped scooters were the only things allowed in SD and seemed to work well.

Come to the National meeting Saturday and ask.

That is how you find out.

You are correct if the national association has rules that's going to affect all shows. If your local chapter is going to have a show at some venue those venue rules are also going to be restrictive of what you can do whether you want to or not. I know the thing that we've had struggles with at Bloomsburg is golf cart rentals are crazy expensive and there's only one business that seems to want to be available..