TD14 dozer runs on gas but won't swap over to Diesel. Injector and pump questions

• 2 months later...

So,  first of all, thanks everyone!!!! After a summer of mucking around, today i finally pushed dirt!!!!

she puffed and sputtered but then purred like a loud kitten.  The bushings  are all fairly lose, the lift cylenders weep a little, she rattles but after a minor brake adjustment it worked fine!  I need to burn through the sea foam in the tank, change the oil tomorrow, then make a mess of the property.  

in the end i sent my fuel pump away for a complete rebuild.  It cost me two grand and i feel like i was raped but all in i have a functional dozer for under 6 grand.  

thank you, thank you, thank you all that helped!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 11:11 PM, hardtail said:

Who did the pump, not many places working on these anymore?

Diesel specialties in prince george but they sipped it away so not sure who actually did it

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you got the 9 up and running, Qball. Have fun with it and get those jobs finished.

Thx for giving us an update 😊 roughly half the time new people join, post their problem usually receive good help and then vanish never knowing what happened, i know your busy but you might even provide some action shots in the future on occasion 😁

33 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Thx for giving us an update 😊 roughly half the time new people join, post their problem usually receive good help and then vanish never knowing what happened, i know your busy but you might even provide some action shots in the future on occasion 😁

Your comments could well be directed at me too, ht. Qball will update us in the future, I'm sure, but I have been negligent in that department for quite a while. The reason is that I have done nothing with my 2 TD9's since my last update a long time ago. The TD9-91 series sits stripped down and the TD-9 that runs needs a set of rings and/or. Time and $. Lacking both. It's Kanada. Everything is overpriced but maybe in 3 months when the OA pension kicks in (oh boy- what a jackpot that is), then I can get back to my goal of restoring the TD9-91.  Sob story and rant of the day!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you got it up and going, Injector pumps can sometimes be tricky. I did an overhaul on a 966 that broke a sleeve and filled everything with water. I finished it up and it wouldn't run worth a darn, smoke and slobber like it had no compression and being that it was a fresh overhaul I did a compression check and fiddled around thinking that I did something wrong but it would start instantly like those engines do and then would go to running like **** Being that the pump is pressure lubed with water/oil I decided that it had to be the pump. So, pulled it, sent it, told the pump outfit what it was doing, they put it on the bench, said it was fine and sent it back. Well I asked them to go through pump not just bench it , the 100 series pump can be fickle sometimes, they sent it back, said it was all great, so I it put it on, same thing, runs like ****. I called the pump company a told them there was no change,they told there was something wrong with the engine, I asked them if they had gone through pump like I asked, they said no there was nothing wrong with it. So I told them again I wanted the pump gone through, sent it in, it came back, put it on same thing, called the company "did you go through the pump like I asked" and they answered "NO" there is nothing wrong with it. At this point I was quite upset, pulled it and sent it to a different shop and of course just as I suspected the pump and barrel were scored from the water in the oil. Needless to say, I will never use that shop again, I lost my *** on that job, I should have been more forceful. This isn't the only time I have had problems with IP shops, Now I do my own pumps, I don't trust any of them any more, I figure I can **** them up as well as a shop for a lot less money.😀