TD14 dozer runs on gas but won't swap over to Diesel. Injector and pump questions

12 hours ago, louie figone said:

Regarding the top idlers, is the shaft (1) in the guide (14), is the guide intact to the point you can put a shaft in it? I would want both top idlers in place and operating. This is a parts page for the TD9-92, the older TD9 is similar, you can run the later idlers on the early TD9's. Let's hope a previous owner did not cut the guides.

IH TD9-92 Track frame.jpg

No the shaft is not in the guide.  Just a hole there.  

12 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

KoO used thick oak beams instead of top idlers.  The chain just slid on them.  In the ice the top idlers would freeze up and flat spot.  This might be a temporary fis that could get you going at least.

Great idea.  I dont have any decent hardwoods here in northern bc unfortunately.  I will look and see if maybe i can come up with some as i have a few friends that work for the railroad and may come across some good hardwood dunnage from down south

KOO might have used railroad ties, if your in BC some fir timbers would last awhile the older the better

• Like 1

OK so I found out a guy up the road from me has a slightly newer (yellow) TD6 for sale for 1500$ it doesn't run but am thinking maybe a parts machine?   how compatible are the parts?  rollers, pins cylinders etc?   maybe even injectors and pump parts?It seems from what i read that the rollers are a bit smaller?  and track is a different gauge?  I can't go and look at this till the long weekend in two weeks.  just trying to keep the overall cost down so my wife doesn't kill me.  lol

image.png.0c597c937db7180fcab1e97d0132c974.png

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Tad Wicks said:

You can tell what is simply by the high low trans lever.

What do you mean by high low trans lever?  I just got out to my property late last night.  I can look a little later today.  Need to stock the fridge and clean up my trailer this morning.

I think what he's saying is one has a high low range with a transmission lever, would be on the right, possibly the TD6 does not?, I usually go by the 2nd carrier roller between the sprocket and idler 6 has only 1 all the others have 2 to help support the upper weight of the track

18 hours ago, Tad Wicks said:

You can tell what is simply by the high low trans lever.

53 minutes ago, Qball said:

What do you mean by high low trans lever?  I just got out to my property late last night.  I can look a little later today.  Need to stock the fridge and clean up my trailer this morning.

Your's is a TD9, the TD14 and 18 has a 2 speed lever behind the gear shift that gives it a 6 speed and 2 speed reverse. Also the decking,where you put your feet is TD 6 and TD9, the 14 and 18 have angled up sheet metal that closes up the areas between the running boards to the dash except for the 142 and 182, they have a flat deck. Somebody already mentioned to open the throttle when running on gas to get the fuel pumping, you will know when it does, all kinds of blue smoke. Should it not pump and if it has been sitting for some time. The injector pump that I am thinking of only has one piston for 4 cylinders and it pumps through a series of timed delivery valves, with the quality of fuel and the lack of Sulfur I have seen these pistons stick at the high point of the barrel, no pumping. The pump and barrel do unbolt from the pump case for service.  Best of Luck

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

I think what he's saying is one has a high low range with a transmission lever, would be on the right, possibly the TD6 does not?, I usually go by the 2nd carrier roller between the sprocket and idler 6 has only 1 all the others have 2 to help support the upper weight of the track

TD6 5 roller (extended track frame option) have two top idlers. 

TD6 62.jpg

• Like 2

Now that's a nice TD6 !   Early 1960's ?

On 7/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, td9bcf180 said:

Now that's a nice TD6 !   Early 1960's ?

Bought new in '69, that picture is January '84 after we put undercarriage, clutches, brakes and paint, turbo was put on in '72, in-frame and undercarriage going on right now, still is a daily worker for us.   

IH TD6 62 coming together May 2023.jpg

IH TD6.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok so last two days wrenching.  My primary pump is pissing fuel into the bottom end of my hp pump housing.  Took off the primary off and made a mess of the bronze bushings, still cant get them out to get at the seals and such.  I need to wait till tomorrow and chat with a machinist in town to see if he can figure out a fix for it.  I see there is a fellow down in lower mainland that rebuilds them but i am hoping to get this up and running in the next few days.  Any tricks or easy fixes you guys have would be appreciated!

The old IH auxiliary pumps had packing and a scavenger valve the later pumps had a lip seal, proprietary from CIH, if bronze bushings are wrecked they will need replacement, good machinist should be able to fix you up, might even have a conversation with him about the lip seal, it was only available from CIH but with the 1000's of seals made he might be able to modify for something across the counter?

this thread has the entire injection pump manual in it, good luck, right now your primary pump is leaking into the main pump and must be repaired, after that you can evaluate whether the main pump is operating properly 

I could be wrong and speaking out where I shouldn't but didn't IH TDs have two different injector pumps?  American Bosch or International Harvester,  I'll dig out some books and check. I think that the 18 had two high pressure pumps in the injector pump and the 4 cylinders had only one, no value, just a point.

That is the plungers, 6 cylinder engines had 2 4 cylinder had 1, there were early Bosch injection pumps and IH had A and B pumps,  they look quite different and the IH pumps all had the kidney shaped crankcase side cover.

One other critical thing I remember on the primary pump rebuild was the gasket thicknesses, this is used to set the gear clearance to the end plate, you see rebuild kits on eBay for pretty high $$$ but those gaskets look wrong, I remember some guys were using wax paper for one of the gaskets but not sure how it would hold up for longevity, I remember another guy micd manilla folder paper which was close to what was needed and was cheap and readily available 

Good luck Qball that's about all that's still floating around in the ole gray matter these days

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hardtail said:

That is the plungers, 6 cylinder engines had 2 4 cylinder had 1, there were early Bosch injection pumps and IH had A and B pumps,  they look quite different and the IH pumps all had the kidney shaped crankcase side cover.

One other critical thing I remember on the primary pump rebuild was the gasket thicknesses, this is used to set the gear clearance to the end plate, you see rebuild kits on eBay for pretty high $$$ but those gaskets look wrong, I remember some guys were using wax paper for one of the gaskets but not sure how it would hold up for longevity, I remember another guy micd manilla folder paper which was close to what was needed and was cheap and readily available 

Good luck Qball that's about all that's still floating around in the ole gray matter these days

Don’t forget the pre A in between the Bosch and A pump 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So…. Hopefully this will have me pushing dirt.  I found an old machine in my area that was “running when parked 40years ago”. I bought the rights to the parts off it for 100$, there isnt a whole lot that is still usable but have got most items that will still be good stripped now.  I am not the first person to pull stuff off!  I got the fuel pump, cleaned it and pulled it apart.  After some cussing and a lot of penetrating oil, she is rebuilt and  Now ready to go on my old red beast!!! Fingers crossed this gets me running!

IMG_3837.jpeg

IMG_3833.jpeg

IMG_3834.jpeg

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3832.jpeg