International 444?? How do I make sense of model number . Year, tractor, is this a 444, this is a 4cyclinder diesel with glow plugs. Any info much appreciated.

bill flowers

Nobody really knows what the code before the "B" means that I'm aware of. That information has been lost to time, probably destroyed when Tenneco took over in 1985 like a lot of information was.

About the only thing that's meaningful about the "444" model number is the last 4 indicates a 4 cylinder engine, the last two digits "44" are the series that the tractor is a part of (even though it has ZERO in common with its bigger brother the 544). The first "4" is just a relative size indication (i.e. 4 is smaller than 5), though sometimes its an estimate of the tractor's HP (i.e. 40HP).

17 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Nobody really knows what the code before the "B" means that I'm aware of. That information has been lost to time, probably destroyed when Tenneco took over in 1985 like a lot of information was.

About the only thing that's meaningful about the "444" model number is the last 4 indicates a 4 cylinder engine, the last two digits "44" are the series that the tractor is a part of (even though it has ZERO in common with its bigger brother the 544). The first "4" is just a relative size indication (i.e. 4 is smaller than 5), though sometimes its an estimate of the tractor's HP (i.e. 40HP).

As best I understand it , the “B”  stands for Britain…. American tractors have “U” for USA …. Australian tractors have “A” for Aus …. Pretty sure engine serial numbers follow the same pattern 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

...it is an ''up graded'' 434  ...the upgrade being cosmetic only ....similar styling to British   'Neus "  engined tractors  454 etc..No mysteries there...

Mike

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...it is an ''up graded'' 434  ...the upgrade being cosmetic only ....similar styling to British   'Neus "  engined tractors  454 etc..No mysteries there...

Mike

True, but that's not something you can discern from the numbers on the tractor.

4 hours ago, IHKIWI said:

As best I understand it , the “B”  stands for Britain…. American tractors have “U” for USA …. Australian tractors have “A” for Aus …. Pretty sure engine serial numbers follow the same pattern 

My money would be on that as well, but nobody to my knowledge has ever been able to decode the numbers BEFORE the B, U, or A. The most discussion I've seen on them is in that super-long 826 thread, where seemingly identical tractors with near-adjacent serial numbers have very different "prefix codes."

A friend has a 3444 Backhoe Special with the 4 banger glow plug diesel with the CAV pump.

Was this IH or British designed and made?

That construction stuff seems to be a whole different breed of cat?

There are two 444 models that are very similar.

The older one is a UK skid unit finished in Louisville and sold in the USA in the 1960s, replaced the 424 and was replaced by the 364.  

The new one is a UK built unit (Bradford) and sold worldwide in 1970s. It replaced the 434, and was replaced by the 384.

To make this even better, the UK 444 was also sold as the 364 in the USA. 

• Like 1