1066. Ream axle for tapered steering pin

stronger800

Local independent shop just purchased a new reaming tool. Neighbor and I figured we should get use of it while it was fresh and sharp. He did his last weekend and texted me that it took an hour and a half going by hand and  that it didn’t cut easy. I need to call him in the morning to ask more details. I thought maybe somebody on here would have additional  advice. Lubricant on the cutter? I wouldn’t  think so. I bought a new tapered pin and block  off of the shop.  The owner was not in the shop today or tomorrow to talk to  but he’s leaving me the tool. 

I did a 966 a few years ago. It was not a quick thing for sure. I only had 1 to do, if I had more to do I would have seeked advice on cutting lubricant options. Penetrating oil really made it worse because the reamer would not bite then. 

Maybe I got super lucky. My reaming took exactly 21 minutes today. rigid threading oil.  I marked the bit so that I could watch it go down and count my revolutions. I stopped to clear chips every two revolutions because they were just piling up. Brushed oil on the hole after clearing the chips each time.  I can’t believe how easy it went. I almost didn’t do it because the hole was not that bad to start with. The reamer  was brand new though, and had only done my neighbor’s  axle  earlier in the week.
Watch now the next time that I do one, if I ever have to, it will be infinitely harder601C90A6-6AB2-43DF-ACF1-677C9106260C.thumb.jpeg.8763209bf7978359d5d3a15c82b36356.jpeg

I did not count my revolutions at first, But if I turned  the bit 50 times total, that would have been a lot.

we have had this tractor for  -only- 25years, maybe a bit  longer. 

07FECEE5-2EBB-4BFC-9EEA-9209071D46E5.thumb.jpeg.b0fb9a44f18ad7adcd1405d8b862362c.jpeg
That’s the top of an aerosol spray can in my in my first picture so you can judge the scale of those chips. They weren’t really “chip”’but more  like inch and a half long strands of metal. I have never used a reamer before and don’t know if that’s how they normally function

I have a few that need done, and I’ve never been around a reamer bit, and haven’t the slightest clue how to go about that job, guess I might have to learn?! And I’ve heard both sides, like you easy as can be, and like your neighbor, took forever, so I’m not sure if that qualifies me for a broken wrist and snapped reamer bit or what?!?!😬

On 6/3/2023 at 7:06 PM, stronger800 said:

Maybe I got super lucky. My reaming took exactly 21 minutes today. rigid threading oil.  I marked the bit so that I could watch it go down and count my revolutions. I stopped to clear chips every two revolutions because they were just piling up. Brushed oil on the hole after clearing the chips each time.  I can’t believe how easy it went. I almost didn’t do it because the hole was not that bad to start with. The reamer  was brand new though, and had only done my neighbor’s  axle  earlier in the week.
Watch now the next time that I do one, if I ever have to, it will be infinitely harder601C90A6-6AB2-43DF-ACF1-677C9106260C.thumb.jpeg.8763209bf7978359d5d3a15c82b36356.jpeg

I did not count my revolutions at first, But if I turned  the bit 50 times total, that would have been a lot.

we have had this tractor for  -only- 25years, maybe a bit  longer. 

Your results are similar to mine.  Take you time.  Think about what your doing and it’s not a big job really.

I used a regular socket, not a high quality impact socket, thinking that if I had trouble…the socket would break before the reamer.

8” of blocking under the right tire, tilts the axle and gives you more room. May not be needed if you had a shorter reamer.