826 Gold Demo

ih88

One of our customers have an 826 Gold Demo that they are going to part with. Just trying to put a value on it. I dont know if they were more common than the other demos or not. It is pushing 10,000 hours and would need T/A, clutch, engine rebuild, injection system rebuilt, new tires and restoration. It still runs. I am thinking as is $2 or 3,000? If someone hired out the work the mechanical could be $10 or 11,000 and we would charge about $12,000 to restore this particular one. What do you Gold Demo experts think its worth? Thanks.

The 826 was the most common Gold Demonstrator since 856's weren't eligible as they were selling without the flashy paint. The 826 was relatively close in size so many not terribly excited dealers ordered the 826 to fulfill their "recommended" quota from IH. Many of them remained in their Cadillac Gold livery when they were sold following the demonstration and repainted in the field later when the notoriously weak Gold faded. The promotion commotion ended and unsold Gold tractors were supposed to be painted 2150 Red at the dealer. The black casting around the gauges and steering usually remained as a dead giveaway and even the Buzzards got excited and slapped a big decal on some tractors a few years ago....

13 minutes ago, Michigan No Till said:

Curious was there ever any 756 gold demos? 

Mine has the black casting around the gauges and tilt wheel.

Also has the nitrogen charged adjustable seat.

Has the Neuss 310 with added M&W whistler.

Love this tractor ahhh!

Not offered for the 756. 
544, 656, 826, 1026, 1456 were the offerings. Hydro or gear drive, utility or row crop if the machine was offered as such. No 1456 utilities for example. 😊

50 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Not offered for the 756. 
544, 656, 826, 1026, 1456 were the offerings. Hydro or gear drive, utility or row crop if the machine was offered as such. No 1456 utilities for example. 😊

I believe the small frame were only Gold in the Hydro version front what I've read. 544 and 656 are the most uncommon demos I believe too. 

I don't think 4 would buy it if too many others know about it.    There was a demo 656 (a little rarer but) that ran but started hard and the Hydro needed rebuilt, quit moving brought 10,500 last winter. Single front, no fenders.

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

The OP had estimated two or 3000 for the tractor and 12,000 to restore it, wouldn’t a 14 or $15,000 gold demo be one heck of a deal at today’s prices? Exactly

Who can I pay?

Yeah a good 826 would be that price without any gold.   I reread his post a few times. Maybe that $12000 was the price not including the engine hydro tires etc?  No way can that all be done for 12 grand.

There's a 826 hydro gold demo near me. If the farmer gave it to me it would be tough to restore. $5000 for the hydro, $4000 for the engine, $2500 for the tires and no telling what the missing parts would cost you. 826s are the most common of the demos. Hines repair had a decent 826 on the IH auction page and it had only 1 bid at $10k. In my opinion $4k would be a plenty.

In my area, goldie's are unobtanium. If I had the opportunity at a demo of any flavor, I'd sell off one of the fleet to obtain it.  I'd actually prefer an 826 Goldie over my 706 any day. Let's face it. Unless it's already been restored, anything from that era is a constant project. All of mine have parts worn out, in need of replacement/repair or missing altogether. If I'm putting money into a working project, I'd prefer it to be a demo over just any old red. You wouldn't be able to buy a non-demo 826 needing all that work in my area for 4k. I've driven across the country before. I don't do it to make money. I do it to save money. Trade saving a few thousand on purchase price for a couple hundred in fuel and a night in a hotel with the Mrs. That's how most everything ends up at my place.